Post by TvSkY »

time to contemplate some early morning dub and zen

https://soundcloud.com/tvsky/dub-and-zen

free dl! hope you enjoy!

kostas
Opposite
Re: dub and zen

Post by kostas »

from what i ve heard from you so far I think you're putting together awesome ideas!
dub techno always speaks to my soul..
good work and thanks for the track
''We all have the equal amount of now. Got it? ... now go and make some good techno.''

tsaro
Lifer

Post by tsaro »

Cool tune, normally I'd say it's little too slow for my taste but in the context it definitely works, and it does make you feel really relaxed :)

The low end (reverb) could be turned down a tad, maybe some eq work, feels like it's overpowering some sounds a bit. Though it might be tricky to do that without killing that strange vibe.....
how far do you want to go

Root
BANNED

Post by Root »

nice one! love dubtechno. the only thing i could say is that it might lack highs and clarity a bit in the percussion and hihats. it's good to have them soft, but maybe that's a bit too soft. overall: well done.
:geek:

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

Yeah, it's a bit lacking in the highend. Some good old tape hiss could certainly help.

Careland
Interact. Don't Spam.

Post by Careland »

Apart from the high end lacking abit which have been mentioned before I really like this! Well done!

jordanneke
subsekt
subsekt

Post by jordanneke »

Very good dub-techno.

Not much else I can say really!

TvSkY
Paul Gadd

Post by TvSkY »

thanks heaps for the feedback and support guys

moving studio rooms atm , will see what it does to the top end.....

Pale-Fox
Interact. Don't Spam.

Post by Pale-Fox »

Real nice dub vibez on this really like it but just think the drums are nice but could be roughed up a bit more hard hitting and percussive.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Low end is a little too mushy, the kick disappears in places, for dub, low end needs to be solid, but the lows in this get overwhelmed by the reverb and other mush. Tighter low end, more solid kick would help this a lot as the stereo image is so wide it loses focus.
Top end could be a little more crisp, maybe something with a little more bite/attack just to keep the pulse going, even if it`s just a really clipped down, uber short hi hat.
But this is basically there. Maybe pull the stereo image back a little.

It all sounds kinda "nice".

But at this stage, we`ve heard so much dub techno, and nu-dub tech that nothing really stands out.
Play some minor (5th) chords, wubble the low pass filter, drench in delay, play with the feedback/regen, bang on some reverb, bobs your teapot - dub techno....

I mean, you`ve done a pretty good job with this, but it could literally be any competent dub-tech producer, there`s nothing that makes me go WOW this TVSky dude really stands out, I`m gonna buy/sign his tracks.

I`d really love to hear a dub tech producer do something new and fresh with the sound, as I love dub, but as a sub genre of techno, it has become incredibly stagnant and cliche.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

TvSkY
Paul Gadd

Post by TvSkY »

thanks vl , appreciate the critical analysis as always . the closest thing i have to checking my mix in a real studio room!

re dub techno the same....

I dont know ... ive been making it a couple of years now and i agree . it was once new and fresh FOR ME so it didn't matter as much

but at the same time i am old , ive been doing this for over 20 years since the mid 90s , everything has been done before , nothing is fresh . to my ears . dub techno was more an exercise in learning new techniques for me , big chords , washes , ambiences , delays and reverb . stuff i didn't do much of in relatively dry techno before hand . but i was under no illusions that everything had been done before me a 10 years earlier and 10 times better.

i will probably go off and make ambient soundscapes next , again its all stuff that's been done over the last 20-30 years but it would be new and interesting to me to learn new stuf

or maybe some early godflesh inspired industrial noise sludge ........

anyway just my little introspection on things... thanks again for the detailed feedback

happy new year everyone!

[wesellboxes]
Q33 NY

Post by [wesellboxes] »

I listen to a lot of dub techno and this is up there with most of it. The stabs and delays are great, love the Porc element at 3.30 that sits right back in the mix. The bass sits well. My only criticism would be to have the hats a bit sharper and louder in the mix to counteract the washes and swirls. And perhaps the kick more prominent for the same reason but I’m nit picking.

As for it doing nothing new, it doesn’t but then that’s the beauty of dub techno for me. I love putting on the Dub Techno Blog podcast and being able to hear two hours of music without trying to listen. Some will say it’s musak or aural wallpaper but at times I find it a necessary joy.

Anyway, well done I’d be particularly proud if I came up with anything like this.

ZenoSupreme
arsehole

Post by ZenoSupreme »

really nice track!

like what you did with the echoes, nice work, takes me away to another place :)

would like to hear the kick stand out more profound though... like it's going through my body and leading the beat. other than that, good work! :)

SHIDZO
pregnant

Post by SHIDZO »

Even though dub techno isn't my cup of tea at all this was really nice and easy listening to me. Nice arrangement and clever use of effects. I have to agree with the others though, that there is a bit of a lack in top end. And I find that there is a bit too much reverb on the hi-hats, especially on the closed one you bring in first. And the very end of the track is a tiny bit abrupt, there is maybe another 1-2 seconds it could go on fading out where you just stopped... The question now, however, is, how to re-invent the wheel? Cheers

TvSkY
Paul Gadd

Post by TvSkY »

thanks again guys!