Humanity's (In Flames)

Post your work here - Ask for feedback or just show it off
Hades
Shit Eater
Humanity's (In Flames)

Post by Hades »

Ok, this started out as a remix of the wonderful track from Corrosive, called "In Flames",
which is in Planar's annual subsekt mix,
but after a whole day working on a banging techno remix, my ears were almost bleeding,
so I decided to throw it around completely the next day and try a more mellow approach.

This is what I ended up with :

Hope you enjoy it :)
Sin cambios no hay mariposa

jordanneke
subsekt
subsekt
Re: Humanity's (In Flames)

Post by jordanneke »

You must be a newbie to this part of the forum as I've never heard of you.

I'm sick of all these cunts that post asking for feedback without giving ANYTHING back to the forum.

FFS, i'll bet you even posted 7473 posts, JUST to get to the minimum limit so you could spam us in this thread.

Planar, can you moderate this cunt please?

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

ah... for god's sakes.
here I am staying at home with my youngest,
(instead of going to the school-play where we actually bought tickets for, which is what my oldest and my mrs just left for about half an hour ago)
because half of my day was spent taking care of the autistic 4 year old son of my best friend (who's in the middle of a painful and ever-lasting divorce),
and my youngest was his "best play-mate" all day, so both of them are fucking totally exhausted,
and well...
My god what a techno life... :lol:

guys, you put a big smile on my very tired face, you bunch of total cunts... :) ;)

I'm pretty sure there must be another beer deep down the fridge somewhere. :) ;)

Planar
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Planar »

Imo, this is the best track you've ever posted, Hades. Nearly 10 minutes and it doesn't out-stay it's welcome at all.

The_G
Artificial Hazard

Post by The_G »

I dig it, man. Really nice and smooth, atmospheric and emotive.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

Planar wrote:Imo, this is the best track you've ever posted, Hades. Nearly 10 minutes and it doesn't out-stay it's welcome at all.
thx man, but the best track, no.
I mean, I like it, and I'm happy I can finally say I got 3 tracks I can stay proud of.
(all the rest are just tracks tbh)

But topping "Jeune & Jolie"...
"Patroclus" was a lot of hard work, but totally worth it.
"Jeune & Jolie" was having all the right elements in there. I barely had to do anything.
This one was a combination of both, but mostly just more work than inspiration/luck.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

The_G wrote:I dig it, man. Really nice and smooth, atmospheric and emotive.
thx,
I'm all about atmosphere (far more than groove),
and I always hope my mixes and arrangement sound smooth.
I want everything to sound organic.
I don't care about big build-ups nor climaxes or big surprises.
I just want it all smooth as a motherfucker... :)

Planar
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Planar »

Hades wrote:But topping "Jeune & Jolie"...
Opinions and all that, but I prefer this one.

jordanneke
subsekt
subsekt

Post by jordanneke »

Yeah, good tune man. Excellently produced too.

I really really like the percussion.

What more is there to say?

tsaro
Lifer

Post by tsaro »

Nice relaxing tune here, though I think the title is a little dramatic there :D
The melody does sound a bit sad/desolate, though I expected something a bit more depressing when I read it....

Alright, more on the track itself... as I said, liking the atmosphere you've got there. Initially I feel that percussive shuffle is a bit lonely, it needs something like some sticks to fill out the groove, but then you go ahead and remedy that in the 2nd half, so I guess you are going for the slow buildup here. One thing I'd do, if that's the way you want to go, is to slowly filter in your percs in the first half (with a lowpass filter/ automated eq or something). The sound you used probably lends itself well for that sort of thing. Also not really a fan of those hihat flams/rolls, they sound a bit naked and 'on the nose' when your arrangement is so sparse, seems like they're not really contributing to the groove. But I guess that's more a question of taste.

As for the melody, I think you could send it to a buss with some distortion/leslie, the mood would be improved imo when you have the sound 'break up' a little, really would fit the theme here.

Don't get me wrong, it's a great track, and you can hear there's been a lot of time put into this, so I'd rather take is as a bunch of suggestions than critique... And you have to say it's finished at some point, or else you'll go insane :P

Now I'll go check out that subsekt mix, can't believe I missed that!
how far do you want to go

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

thx for the kind words guys.

@vo0doo : the title is just based on the sample in the end, combined with the title of the original track.
I thought it made sense somehow. And let's face it : current times do get me down.
I have to stop worrying about it at times, but it's my job to worry about it since I put kids on this planet.

thx for the tip about introducing the percussion, maybe I'll try that some day.

Kettmpa
GET A FUCKING AVATAR!!

Post by Kettmpa »

damn! sounds very nice! really like the white noise and that Porc..
smooth kick!

but i really missed a backround synth line thats keeps the track intressting

listen in my hd25 and the hole track is a sweet track!

sry for bad english ( swedish that missed school ) :oops:

have the best!
/kettmpa

Revaron
reverse genius

Post by Revaron »

Really enjoyed that, got lost in the vibe and 10 minutes flew by! On second listening, actually paying attention to the finer details, I like it even more, nothing there that doesn't need to be, the pads and sparse melody are really really lovely with nothing to distract - no wonder I totally zoned out on it! It sounds great as well, two thumbs up from me.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

thank you very much for your kind words sir !!

We make tracks, that is what we (always try to) do.
But it's a marvelous feeling when, just once in a while,
you get the feeling you made a track that you don't get sick of all too soon.
Not just a track, but a good one, one that might put a smile on your face even years later,
because god knows there's enough moments our old tracks just make us cringe... :)

thx for listening !

mattie
refusenik

Post by mattie »

Nice work Hades,its got mileage with the minutes but doesnt feel that way to listen to it,i like how its slow paced but the percussion keeps some movement in there,really like the persussion, the atmosphere is immersive,great the track name too :)

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

I like it, kinda.

The whole techno sound of it sounds mismatched and unnecessary.

It sounds to me like you wrote a really nice instrumental piece, and then came back and slapped a kick drum under it.

The percussion doesn`t really add anything to the tune, in terms of matching the music or making it club workable.

It might be that a totally different percussive pattern (and set of sounds) would work possibly, but straight 4x4 kicks doesn`t seem conducive to the piece (and the sounds seem too dry and GM sounding to really fit in terms of the overall mood of the piece).
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

Lost to the Void wrote:I like it, kinda.
I wonder what you write when you dislike something. :D
Lost to the Void wrote: The whole techno sound of it sounds mismatched and unnecessary.

It sounds to me like you wrote a really nice instrumental piece, and then came back and slapped a kick drum under it.
I can see why you think that, but as I said above : the track started off as a remix of the In Flames track from Corrosive that you mastered.
After 1 day of trying out a banging techno remix, I decided to go for another approach. This is what I ended up with.
So the kick was there from the start, so was the percussion (hats, very low volume shakers and noise burst) of the original that I left in.
I only adapted the kick later to fit the track better.
Lost to the Void wrote: The percussion doesn`t really add anything to the tune, in terms of matching the music or making it club workable.

It might be that a totally different percussive pattern (and set of sounds) would work possibly, but straight 4x4 kicks doesn`t seem conducive to the piece (and the sounds seem too dry and GM sounding to really fit in terms of the overall mood of the piece).
I don't aim to make my music more "club workable". If I ever made maybe 2 club workable tracks in my life, I'll be Lucky. :D
But I also don't feel like making my music even slower than it already feels like.
I know you like your broken beat techno, so I guess you would have preferred somethi!ng like that, but I don't think I'd be good at it. Maybe some day in the future.

What sounds sound to you like GM ? You mean the percussion in the 2nd part ?
It's funny, my very first synth (JW50) only had GM sounds onboard, and it always puts a smile on my face thinking how stupid GM sounds really sound.

In any case, thx for listening and giving feedback. :)

Aurongroove
pregnant

Post by Aurongroove »

It's nice hearing someone who knows how to pace a laid back track.
Despite being 9+minutes, it doesn't sound too long, or too rushed.
And, while the overall track has a well crafted narrative, it also achieves the status of being "a jam of inconsequential length" as in, one could listen to any span of 3~5 minutes of it and get a 'feel' for what the spirit of the track is, which I think is really important in music like this, but really hard to achieve.

About the only thing I could criticize arrangement-wise, is the "fade in" at the start seeming unnecessarily long.

The kick is satisfying, and just a little bit strange, which is important because there is so little "oddness" in the track. The mix level of the treble percs are very well judged, and while the "clap" is a little bit too light/high for my taste, I can't begrudge it's high-trebly-ness, (if intentional) as one of the many light and dynamics treble elements in the track; hisses, hi-hats, tics, clicks and clacks etc.

The ending-without-the-kick, suits the arraignment, but I'm not sure if the "talky vocal" is accidentally a bit corny and old fashioned.
If I were leaving it in (as perhaps a testament to the track I was originally remixing), I would want to dirty it up a bit to avoid the old chestnut of "thought provoking limited-band talky vocals over EDM"

My favorite bit is that small interplay between the kick and one of the percs that's filtered slightly middy. It fades in @ 1:30 and just keeeeeeeps going like a gentle triplet-y steam engine. That stuff is right up my street.
Great work.
I'm Hilarious

Some professional mastering engineers use multi-band compressors.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Hades wrote:
Lost to the Void wrote:I like it, kinda.
I wonder what you write when you dislike something. :D
Lost to the Void wrote: The whole techno sound of it sounds mismatched and unnecessary.

I can see why you think that, but as I said above : the track started off as a remix of the In Flames track from Corrosive that you mastered.
After 1 day of trying out a banging techno remix, I decided to go for another approach. This is what I ended up with.
So the kick was there from the start, so was the percussion (hats, very low volume shakers and noise burst) of the original that I left in.
I only adapted the kick later to fit the track better.
Lost to the Void wrote: The percussion doesn`t really add anything to the tune, in terms of matching the music or making it club workable.

I don't aim to make my music more "club workable". If I ever made maybe 2 club workable tracks in my life, I'll be Lucky. :D
But I also don't feel like making my music even slower than it already feels like.
I know you like your broken beat techno, so I guess you would have preferred somethi!ng like that, but I don't think I'd be good at it. Maybe some day in the future.

What sounds sound to you like GM ? You mean the percussion in the 2nd part ?
It's funny, my very first synth (JW50) only had GM sounds onboard, and it always puts a smile on my face thinking how stupid GM sounds really sound.

In any case, thx for listening and giving feedback. :)

Well, it`s not that I prefer broken beat, I like percussion that is appropriate and in context with the whole piece.
Adding a 4x4 to this great instrumental doesn't really seem to serve any purpose, there`s no connection between the music and the drums.
I don`t think it needs any percussion at all. As a piece of music on it`s own I think it would stand up fine without the drums.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

terryfalafel
Component

Post by terryfalafel »

Nice musical ideas Hades. The into makes me think of Christian Loeffler (which is no bad thing).

I'm also not sure about how the drums have been applied to the track. If nothing else, I'd like to hear the whole thing slowed down by 5 - 7 bpm I think.

There's nothing wrong with the drums; I'm just not sure they do justice to the music.