Dreadbox - Nymphes

Hardware & Software Discussion // New Products & Advice
over9000
Nor Crystal Tears
Dreadbox - Nymphes

Post by over9000 »

Anyone has experience with one of those?
I like the sound, but it has way too much shift functionality it seems
Is it worth the deep dive?

Ben Kohonays
Quaint
Re: Dreadbox - Nymphes

Post by Ben Kohonays »

Not used one but I also like the sound. Probably the best value analogue poly out there.
0dd wrote: Gotta love the subsekt derail ethic.

TvSkY
Paul Gadd

Post by TvSkY »

ive only listened to demos but there was something about the sound that didn't appeal . seemed a bit bland and flat , I like more lush in an analogue poly.

given that a 2nd hand minilogue / XD or deepmind 6 sound nicer and have better u/i for a budget poly

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

TvSkY wrote:
Sun Jan 08, 2023 4:15 pm
ive only listened to demos but there was something about the sound that didn't appeal . seemed a bit bland and flat , I like more lush in an analogue poly.

given that a 2nd hand minilogue / XD or deepmind 6 sound nicer and have better u/i for a budget poly
wut? Dreadbox are known for having some of the most lush osc and filters
Comparing to a minilogue is even more wut? Minilogue, known for being a little glassy and lacking lushness but having a very modern sound (I actually disagree, I found the sound of my minilogue to be more akin to a korg monopoly, but I can see why people would say it is glassy if they didn`t dig in)

Deepmind for sure (12 is better tho) but you are getting 6 osc of juno goodness and a shit ton more options and fx
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

TvSkY
Paul Gadd

Post by TvSkY »

i know dreadbox are usually big and bold , a bit crazy and the tone of the their other stuff has been great for that. abyss was one of the best sounding synths of the past few years . shame 2nd hand prices for them are $$$$ now

but have you heard the nymphes? its oretty un-dreadbox . rather conventional , defined . atleast on the demos out there .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKptkI0 ... BloomMusic

the minilogue can get quite delicate and soft , i can see why people say glassy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqz0t3D ... SoundGhost

maybe nymphes could too if programmed that way , the core oscillator sound seems quite forward and brash though . I dont know ... my expectations where junoish and its not that. and the tiny box form factor UI is very .... meh . YMMV

dcom
Poo Fingers

Post by dcom »

I've been on a Dreadbox GAS spree lately (here's a group photo), I got Nymphes and Typhon earlier last year, and the reissues of Erebus and Hades a few weeks back. They're all quite different, the Erebus and Hades reissues are simpler analogue semimodulars and they sound smooth AF, Nymphes and Typhon have analogue VCO/VCA/VCF's and digital effects. They all take USB power, so you can simply use a multi-port charger (ground loop/noise caveats apply).

Nymphes is the only true poly, and it has a lot going for it - but the learning curve is steep, there's hardware menu diving with no feedback indication, so you'll have to know what you're doing, but the payoff is nice. There's one really interesting feature, you can define a set of custom chords and use it as a modulation target with e.g. aftertouch; Nymphes also has MPE support, if that's your thing.

Typhon and Nymphes are standalone desktop units, the Erebus and Hades are eurorack installable (42 hp each). I like them all, but the most techno of them is definitely Typhon, you can make it growl and squeal like there's no tomorrow just on its own, there's way more than enough things you can modulate and mangle. Nymphes is great, too, so if you need a poly and don't mind the learning curve, go for it.
Technostructuralist.SoundCloudDiscogs

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

TvSkY wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 6:50 pm
i know dreadbox are usually big and bold , a bit crazy and the tone of the their other stuff has been great for that. abyss was one of the best sounding synths of the past few years . shame 2nd hand prices for them are $$$$ now

but have you heard the nymphes? its oretty un-dreadbox . rather conventional , defined . atleast on the demos out there .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKptkI0 ... BloomMusic

the minilogue can get quite delicate and soft , i can see why people say glassy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqz0t3D ... SoundGhost

maybe nymphes could too if programmed that way , the core oscillator sound seems quite forward and brash though . I dont know ... my expectations where junoish and its not that. and the tiny box form factor UI is very .... meh . YMMV
That`s an XD you linked (I prefer the bucket brigade delay on the original Mini), but yeah, I used to get nice gloopy stuff from my Minilogue, I get why people called it glassy, but they just weren`t using it right. I kinda wish I never sold it now.
youtu.be/_P-zK_52Jxw

The Nymphes is for sure the least interesting Dredbox for me, for sure. I had an Erebus v2, which I also, rather stupidly, sold. And that thing was like syrup. I might get another, or possibly an Abyss or Nyx. It has to fit into my live PA somehow though, as I only buy hardware for live use.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

TvSkY
Paul Gadd

Post by TvSkY »

https://youtube.com/shorts/mwBssmVmh_k?feature=share

i found a good nymphes demo on youtube . not bad