Going Modular..

Hardware & Software Discussion // New Products & Advice
Mono-xID
Uumfääng
Re: Going Modular..

Post by Mono-xID »

This is my current 6U 88 HP case atm. I just have to install the PSU and the rails into my new custom case and install the rest of the Modules and the DFAM so the system will look like this (hopefully this weekend I'll have the time to do this) .

Edit: photo quality of that image host is a joke, sorry.
http://soundcloud.com/monoxid

Behringer = ARTS label of synths

timc3
Back Bling

Post by timc3 »

Some nice modules in there! I have left my DFAM out of the case at the moment, as I need all the HP I can get right now.

Amøbe
Moderate

Post by Amøbe »

Mono-xID wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 8:14 pm

This is my current 6U 88 HP case atm. I just have to install the PSU and the rails into my new custom case and install the rest of the Modules and the DFAM so the system will look like this (hopefully this weekend I'll have the time to do this) .

Edit: photo quality of that image host is a joke, sorry.

Ooohh ( ͡ᵔ ͜ʖ ͡ᵔ )

ozias_leduc
ANAL

Post by ozias_leduc »

How are you guys using your modular? Standalone? Sampling it into the computer?

Here is my current rig -although to be fair in "standalone" mode I almost never make techno with it. More experimental / IDMish weirdness. Have been having fun sampling it into the Polyend Tracker for more techno oriented things.
Attachments
IMG_3279.jpeg
IMG_3279.jpeg (218.62 KiB) Viewed 27319 times

Mono-xID
Uumfääng

Post by Mono-xID »

I patch and tweak until I come up with something interesting and jam around. Then I record numerous variations (live tweaking, different time signatures) of the same patch.
I cut out the most interesting bits and put them into my ever-growing Eurorack sample library. I'm overwhelmed by the amount of useful samples I came up with since my modular journey began.

Mono-xID
Uumfääng

Post by Mono-xID »

It's done...

Amøbe
Moderate

Post by Amøbe »

Mono-xID wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 1:40 pm
It's done...

looks gorgeous :) Maybe it's just my eyes that aren't used to looking at modular, but what do you sequence it with?

Mono-xID
Uumfääng

Post by Mono-xID »

Sequencing duties goes to Ableton CV Tools or the MPC One.

over9000
Nor Crystal Tears

Post by over9000 »

Mono-xID wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 3:27 pm
Sequencing duties goes to Ableton CV Tools or the MPC One.
Does it really work with ableton?
I mean can you let it run in sync together with channels in ableton?
It was very difficult for me to get the dfam synced and i kinda gave up on it, because i dont have the time to spend days on fiddling with the sync problems..

I have to say seeing a modular rig like this makes it very tempting to start my own case..
Did you have to sell alot of modules again untilyou found a config that works for you?

Mono-xID
Uumfääng

Post by Mono-xID »

over9000 wrote:
Sat Feb 26, 2022 9:58 am

Does it really work with ableton?
I mean can you let it run in sync together with channels in ableton?
It was very difficult for me to get the dfam synced and i kinda gave up on it, because i dont have the time to spend days on fiddling with the sync problems..

I have to say seeing a modular rig like this makes it very tempting to start my own case..
Did you have to sell alot of modules again untilyou found a config that works for you?
Works like a charm here. Sure, there are a couple milliseconds of latency (2 ms in my case) but i got a pretty neat CPU so i can run my audio interface on very low buffer size.
As i said earlier, the modular, to me, is more like an ocean of inspiration rather than a composition tool. Every patch i make is getting sampled as i always come up with some WTF? like loops and sounds. It's awesome.

As for selling modules...I only sold 3 modules (of which i regret only one, the Piston Honda mk3 wavetable osc). But it's not like i sat down and "planned" what would works best. I just tried to buy modules which "can do a lot of things" or for osc modules "have a great variety of sounds" without being to complicated.

timc3
Back Bling

Post by timc3 »

modular.jpg
modular.jpg (144.28 KiB) Viewed 27056 times
This is my current setup, recently added the Tiptop Buchla modules and Mordax Data. Going to get/build 2x168hp case to go underneath the two main cases next as I have more modules to add and plan on adding more sequencers, FX, logic and the rest of the Tiptop Buchla.

Mono-xID
Uumfääng

Post by Mono-xID »

What are your thoughts about the Buchla modules? Can they live up to the to the hype? Their pricing is tempting.
I'm really interested in the quad low pass gate which is about to be released this summer.

timc3
Back Bling

Post by timc3 »

Mono-xID wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 3:51 pm
What are your thoughts about the Buchla modules? Can they live up to the to the hype? Their pricing is tempting.
I'm really interested in the quad low pass gate which is about to be released this summer.
I really like both the modules, particularly the form factor as I like a bit more spaced out front panels but more importantly I like the sound and functionality. The Quad function generator acting a bit weird with my Doepfer SEM filter maybe because it's putting out 10V, but I often get a click even with the Res turned down and the CV2 input turned down.

I will most probably be getting all the rest of the modules as they appear.

Also got a Westlicht that should be arriving this week and just ordered WMD Crucible and a SSF Ultra Kick.

Mono-xID
Uumfääng

Post by Mono-xID »

timc3 wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 10:41 am

Also got a Westlicht that should be arriving this week and just ordered WMD Crucible and a SSF Ultra Kick.
Yeah, SSF UK looks and sounds ace but a tad too pricey for a Kickdrum. That said, I get monster kicks out of DFAM send through Morgasmatron Filter in parallel.

Happy Nerding 3xMIA and Doepfers new frequency shifter will arrive this week and the rack is full finally.

timc3
Back Bling

Post by timc3 »

Mono-xID wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 4:57 pm
Yeah, SSF UK looks and sounds ace but a tad too pricey for a Kickdrum. That said, I get monster kicks out of DFAM send through Morgasmatron Filter in parallel.

Happy Nerding 3xMIA and Doepfers new frequency shifter will arrive this week and the rack is full finally.
It's a really good kick though, so far really enjoying it.

How are you getting on the with Doepfer frequency shifter?

Mono-xID
Uumfääng

Post by Mono-xID »

timc3 wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 12:16 pm

How are you getting on the with Doepfer frequency shifter?
Pretty well I'd say. It packs a lot of features in 8HP. I used it yesterday together with the Ziqal Dimension Wavetable Osc and made some delicious sounds.

Cool thing on the Frequency Shifter ist that you can blend between DOWN shifting and UP shifting, even with CV, resulting in beautiful 'beating against each other" frequencies/harmonics.

Pretty happy with it so far but I don't have much time for music at the moment as our family got a new member. My daughter was born last October and needs all the attention. 😊

timc3
Back Bling

Post by timc3 »

Mono-xID wrote:
Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:50 am
Pretty well I'd say. It packs a lot of features in 8HP. I used it yesterday together with the Ziqal Dimension Wavetable Osc and made some delicious sounds.

Cool thing on the Frequency Shifter ist that you can blend between DOWN shifting and UP shifting, even with CV, resulting in beautiful 'beating against each other" frequencies/harmonics.

Pretty happy with it so far but I don't have much time for music at the moment as our family got a new member. My daughter was born last October and needs all the attention. 😊
Congrats! I totally understand, have two kids myself who usually take priority over music/noise making :D

Going to check it out though as it sounds really interesting, and I have been using frequency shifters a lot in the box recently.

Mono-xID
Uumfääng

Post by Mono-xID »

timc3 wrote:
Tue Apr 05, 2022 4:10 pm
Going to check it out though as it sounds really interesting, and I have been using frequency shifters a lot in the box recently.
I mean, it's a tad expensive (high built quality though) for such an exotic effect and it's typically not an effect you'd use in every single patch. But having just used digital freq shifters myself, the real thing sounds extremely lively (couldn't come up with a better term).

Mono-xID
Uumfääng

Post by Mono-xID »

Fook me, i just got my Frap Tools Fumana filterbank. Damn, this thing is a sounddesigners daydream. I'm stunned.

ozias_leduc
ANAL

Post by ozias_leduc »

Mono-xID wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 12:18 pm
Fook me, i just got my Frap Tools Fumana filterbank. Damn, this thing is a sounddesigners daydream. I'm stunned.
oh! may we hear?

i haven't loved the demos i've heard so far, but the spectral transfer thing appeals to me

it's HUGE though!