Field Recorder

Punxsutawney Phil's Shadow _ Contains 'A Best Of..' Selection Of Frequently Discussed Topics From THE HOLE
Mslwte
subsekt
subsekt
Re: Field Recorder

Post by Mslwte »

Tell you what chaps one thing that would be handy on any field recorder is a wireless remote! Definately something I would look for if I was upgrading!
https://soundcloud.com/mslwte
https://noizefacilityrecords.bandcamp.com
https://www.instagram.com/subsekt909
https://www.facebook.com/subsekt909/
Lost to the Void wrote:Fuck off, get some tequila down ya neck and make some noise you cunt....

strawMan
skaghead

Post by strawMan »

Happy Zoom H4n user here.
I'm thinking of getting a Zoom H1 which can be had for very cheap as a pocket recorder for carrying around - smaller and less expensive to replace, I've used one before and it's well worth a look...

One thing not often mentioned is the tripod mount screw hole - metal threading was a significant factor in the H4n purchase.
If you ever see yourself needing to mount the unit regularly (on a camera, boom pole, mic stand...) plastic threads will wear and reduce the usefulness.

Victor
beast

Post by Victor »

Lost to the Void wrote:
Just reporting back on my purchase of the tascam DR07 Mk2

It is excellent, easy to use, and really sensitive mics.
You absolutely need a windscreen/wind muffler for it as the mics are real sensitive, but you can pick them up for about 15 quid on ebay.

Building up some nice sounds for the album now.
I'm thinking of getting a DR07 MKII myself. Can you use the tascam as a microphone as well? Recording directly (via line out) into ableton for example ?

Planar
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Planar »

I think it'll work but I've not tried it. I'll give it a go for you tonight if no-one else knows for sure.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

Victor wrote:
Lost to the Void wrote:

You absolutely need a windscreen/wind muffler for it as the mics are real sensitive, but you can pick them up for about 15 quid on ebay.

I'm thinking of getting a DR07 MKII myself. Can you use the tascam as a microphone as well? Recording directly (via line out) into ableton for example ?
I know my Zoom H2 could be used for that. connect USB to tour computer and you could use it as a microphone directly in Live.

Sadly I borrowed it to a family member who gave it to her mother who wanted to register noisy neighbours.
She obviously forgot to tell her NOT to use the adapter at the same time as the batteries, and yeah, now it's totally dead. :cry:
Sin cambios no hay mariposa

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Victor wrote:
Lost to the Void wrote:

I recorded some vocals for my music with it when I was visiting my old rehearsal studios not too long ago, and I got really quite amazing results.
I go to these old studios to record vocals as they have a great historical vibe for me, and I used to take my laptop, interface, pre-amp, valve mic and reflexion filter.

Last time I just took the DR07 and Deadcat (wind guard that works as great pop guard) and the results were fucking great. I ended up using the vocals from that recording in a release.

I'd link you to the track so you could check it out, but it's from one of my "anonymous" side projects.
Last edited by Lost to the Void on Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

willemb
Mild

Post by willemb »

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rechargeable- ... 43c2b85014

Sure its not the best quality, but its also not the worst, for £12 !!!

Its got a built in stereo mic, records 16bit 48khz waves. Perfect for me as I mangle sounds loads anyway.

I dropped it out of the window the other day trying to record some noises from outside, thought it was broken, but seems to be working again!

Victor
beast

Post by Victor »

Planar wrote:I think it'll work but I've not tried it. I'll give it a go for you tonight if no-one else knows for sure.
Thank you in advance ! Got some confirmations already below, still want the tascam's one :)
Hades wrote: I know my Zoom H2 could be used for that. connect USB to tour computer and you could use it as a microphone directly in Live.

Sadly I borrowed it to a family member who gave it to her mother who wanted to register noisy neighbours.
She obviously forgot to tell her NOT to use the adapter at the same time as the batteries, and yeah, now it's totally dead. :cry:
Would be great if the tascam did too! Haven't take a look at the H2 yet. Will do. Ha, ''noisy neighbours''. No fix for that? I feel your pain. Let someone borrow your gear and you get it back malfunctioning.
Lost to the Void wrote: I recorded some vocals for my music with it when I was visiting my old rehearsal studios not too long ago, and I got really quite amazing results.
I go to these old studios to record vocals as they have a great historical vibe for me, and I used to take my laptop, interface, pre-amp, valve mic and reflexion filter.

Last time I just took the DR07 and Deadcat (wind guard that works as great pop guard) and the results were fucking great. I ended up using the vocals from that recording in a release.

I'd link you to the track so you could check it out, but it's from one of my "anonymous" side projects.
Love those places ! Curious now, please send the link! I'm using some old crappy computer mic at the moment, low quality recordings though.. Love to just sit and jam my voice through a bunch of effects when I'm working on a project in live. Such interesting things can be made with your own human voice/sound.

Thank you all so far, !

Planar
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Planar »

You have your answer Victor, Steve uses the Tascam. I bought mine on his recommendation :)
Lost to the Void wrote: I'd link you to the track so you could check it out, but it's from one of my "anonymous" side projects.
You're In One Direction aren't you. I fucking knew it.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Well my album will be full of vocals, and I am recording some in studio with the valve mic, but i am also going to do some recording in interesting locations (to get me in the right vibe, because I'm being an arty ponce), using a mic stand with the tascam, hopefully it will be sorted by the end of the year.
I can put the dry vocals up to show an example of what results you can get then.
New Shit

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

Victor wrote:
Hades wrote: I know my Zoom H2 could be used for that. connect USB to tour computer and you could use it as a microphone directly in Live.

Would be great if the tascam did too! Haven't take a look at the H2 yet. Will do. Ha, ''noisy neighbours''. No fix for that? I feel your pain. Let someone borrow your gear and you get it back malfunctioning.
well, years ago I gave it to my sister months before she died. I was hoping she would speak some stuff in for her kids or us. A human voice can bring back so many memories.
She never used it, thought it was too complicated, though it's easy as hell : just press record twice and it's rolling, press it again and your recording stops. press it twice again and it will automatically start a new recording (as I presume most of these things do),...
Anyhow, she was never good with technical stuff.

But yeah, her husband asks me for that same H2 because his new girlfriend's mother wants to record noisy neighbours. I give it to them, specifically tell them you don't need the adapter cause it's loaded with 2 charged batteries, and you can't use both at the same time.
She never used it, she says, but I got it back not working.
The woman's like 74 years old and she just got diagnosed with cancer last week.
So yeah, no way I can even try to bring up the story asking what the fuck they did or didn't do to the thing...

If you look into the H2, one thing bugged me massively about it : it's all cheapo plastic.
The sound quality is absolutely great, but the rest is all just flimsy plastic and feels very cheap.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

Lost to the Void wrote:
Lost to the Void wrote:I do a LOT of field recording for my music.
I`ve been using a Hi-MD with a really nice sony stereo mic for ages and getting good results, but the whole deal isn`t very user friendly.

Have finally after asking people, checking out loads of reviews etc, have decided to go for the Tascam DR07 Mk2.
It fits my requirements, ease of use, portability, price, build quality, fidelity
I`ll be using it a lot for my album so I`ll report back on my results, but it seems to fit a lot of requirements in the price range.

how is the build quality of that thing Steve ?

I mean, I need a new one anyway,
and the one thing that I hated about my H2 was that it's all cheap plastic.
Except for the mics everything felt flimsy as hell.
Is the case of the tascam made of metal ?
If so, I might get myself one. I mean, you guys (Steve, Mattias, Plannar) seem happy with the sound quality, and it definitely is cheap (around 140 euro's if I'm not mistaken)

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Hades wrote:
Lost to the Void wrote:
Lost to the Void wrote:I do a LOT of field recording for my music.
I`ve been using a Hi-MD with a really nice sony stereo mic for ages and getting good results, but the whole deal isn`t very user friendly.

Have finally after asking people, checking out loads of reviews etc, have decided to go for the Tascam DR07 Mk2.
It fits my requirements, ease of use, portability, price, build quality, fidelity
I`ll be using it a lot for my album so I`ll report back on my results, but it seems to fit a lot of requirements in the price range.

how is the build quality of that thing Steve ?

I mean, I need a new one anyway,
and the one thing that I hated about my H2 was that it's all cheap plastic.
Except for the mics everything felt flimsy as hell.
Is the case of the tascam made of metal ?
If so, I might get myself one. I mean, you guys (Steve, Mattias, Plannar) seem happy with the sound quality, and it definitely is cheap (around 140 euro's if I'm not mistaken)

Well, I accidentally left it on the roof of a car as we were loading up in a multi-story car park. We drove away, then turn a corner and heard an unusual clutter.

We stopped, it dawned on me what had happened, I got out located my DR07mk2 with a sinking feeling thinking that I had just blown 150 quid.
Bar a few scratches it works absolutely fine.

So that's how well built it is, it can fly off the roof of a car going at 15 miles per hour, land on asphalt. And still work perfectly.

It's abs plastic I believe.
New Shit

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

how long does it last on rechargeable batteries, any idea ?

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

I've not used mine on rechargeable, though I do have some.
I've not changed the batteries since I bought it. So, they last forever.
New Shit

Victor
beast

Post by Victor »

Hades wrote: well, years ago I gave ... plastic and feels very cheap.
Sorry to hear about your family. In general I just can't get mad that quickly in the end it is just a lifeless piece of electronics.

But you can do great things with those things.. As steve said I think it is more how you look after the recorder. If you can travel such a device safely in a bag or something it will last a long time. Ordered mine, can't wait to test !

Victor
beast

Post by Victor »

I've got the dr-07 mk2 now. But How do I set it up in live as a USB mic ?

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

just bumping this one to say I got the tascam DR-07mk2 now for a few weeks and I have to say I am really happy with it.
perhaps the sound quality of the zoom was a tiny tiny bit better, but the difference is really little to none.

and honestly : the build quality of the tascam is so much better than the one of the zoom.
as I said a while back in this thread, the zoom felt terribly flimsy plasticy,
and as a result you were always dealing with handling noise as soon as you moved your hand even the smallest bit.
this happens almost never with the tascam cause it' so much more sturdy than the zoom.

thx to Steve and others for the info given.

Victor
beast

Post by Victor »

After testing mine for the last several weeks I have to say that I'm quite surprised indeed. Recorded a lot of interesting stuff already at highest quality; (24-bit wav 96000khz). Need to buy another Sd card since the one which came with the tascam is loaded pretty quick. Also a deadcat is on the whish list. Steve mentioned some nice ones but are quite pricey to import to The Netherlands..

Question to you happy DR-07 (mkII) owners; where to you keep your recorder, a sort of case or something? (Haven't found one that fits properly). Or do you just put them in a bag amongst other stuff?

Hepta
I Love YOU!!!

Post by Hepta »

Victor wrote:After testing mine for the last several weeks I have to say that I'm quite surprised indeed. Recorded a lot of interesting stuff already at highest quality; (24-bit wav 96000khz). Need to buy another Sd card since the one which came with the tascam is loaded pretty quick. Also a deadcat is on the whish list. Steve mentioned some nice ones but are quite pricey to import to The Netherlands..

Question to you happy DR-07 (mkII) owners; where to you keep your recorder, a sort of case or something? (Haven't found one that fits properly). Or do you just put them in a bag amongst other stuff?
I just put mine in the bag but if theres other stuff in there it could damage the mic's, so I always have my deadcat on to protect it. My Zoom H4n came with a plastic case, but I lost it haha.