Do you use mastering effects while writing

Punxsutawney Phil's Shadow _ Contains 'A Best Of..' Selection Of Frequently Discussed Topics From THE HOLE
rktic
Utter Cunt
Re: Do you use mastering effects while writing

Post by rktic »

I've got Fairchild as master compressor all the time and use a limiter for security reasons, like plugin fuckups, dropouts and whatnot. It's more a safety thing than actual limiting though. I rather have the limiter crash and burn than my KRKs.

Mattias
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mattias »

On about half of my tracks I use my Massive Passive on the main bus to set a character (since the vacuum tube etc) I like. Generally I just use the first step to cut on the 22-1kHz (set at shelving and 68Hz) band and then a first step boost on the 560-27kHz (set at 2kHz shelving) to give a nice character.
Music Page: http://www.facebook.com/Mattias.Fridell.Music
Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/fridell
Sample packs: http://mfsamples.bandcamp.com

Contention / 005

s-tek
beast

Post by s-tek »

Mattias wrote:On about half of my tracks I...
take off my pants. This gives me those warm vibration to my balls from the deepest basses I create before. hmmmmm :P

btw: did you own a massive passive from uad card or a 19" unit?

ashley BORG
Small Penis

Post by ashley BORG »

Haha. I find making music with my pants off gives that same effect.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Does anyone make music with their pants on?
You know that pants effect the absorption spectrum of the room you are in, taking away some top end.

Real producers do it in their birthday suits
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

s-tek
beast

Post by s-tek »

:D

Mattias
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mattias »

s-tek wrote:
Mattias wrote:On about half of my tracks I...
take off my pants. This gives me those warm vibration to my balls from the deepest basses I create before. hmmmmm :P

btw: did you own a massive passive from uad card or a 19" unit?
A worn 19" unit but it's a good friend of mine in the studio hehe.
I actually want the one with predefined steps and +11dB boost / cut instead of the standard but this will do till I can get one
Music Page: http://www.facebook.com/Mattias.Fridell.Music
Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/fridell
Sample packs: http://mfsamples.bandcamp.com

Contention / 005

1nfinitezer0
Tiesto

Post by 1nfinitezer0 »

i don't know where you guys are, but it's cold these months. my boys need some shelter O.o

my mains tend to have a TT dynamic range meter and sometimes a limiter for protection.
once in a while a mastering chain with on/off switch if I'm reworking the mix next to a reference track.

rktic
Utter Cunt

Post by rktic »

Wiu
Slowy J

Post by Wiu »

Lost to the Void wrote:Does anyone make music with their pants on?
You know that pants effect the absorption spectrum of the room you are in, taking away some top end.

Real producers do it in their birthday suits
FINALLY SOME FUCKING PRO TIPS!! :lol:
Thank you for the laughs, debate, new music found, production tips etc etc over the years. I wish Subsekt and everyone all the best for the future. Wiu.

strawMan
skaghead

Post by strawMan »

^Hahahaaaaaa :D

msl
║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█

Post by msl »

Guys relax, the limiter is there mostly for gain make up. It also helps me know how the mix will react. My ME is fine with this and my mixes, no problems ever. We're only talking a few db here... not squashed to death what would be the point. A crap mix is a crap mix even when run through a limiter, I'd say the limiter actually shows up some problems sometimes.

There is nothing wrong with the above method and it can be helpful many times. Its quite common regardless of genre.

Lost to the Void wrote: No it doesn't though., because the engineer more than likely will be doing spectral correction prior to any final limiting, which will change the behaviour of the mastering comp, and limiter.

The problem with mixing into a limiter is that you are ruining transient information, and have no idea how your transients are behaving. So come removal and sending to mastering engineer, there may be all sorts of mix problems hidden by the limiter which probably should have been dealt with in-channel.

It's mental so many people in techno talk about this, you just wouldn't get this behaviour if you went to any professional studio to mix down your music.
www.bernadettetrax.bandcamp.com
www.soundcloud.com/michaellovatt

“Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.” Dune

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

I don't see how a limiter on your mix will give you any idea of behaviour after mastering.
if you understand mastering then you will understand that you simply are not giving yourself any idea how the mix will sound.
If the EQ is adjusted, and unless your mixes are perfect, it will be, then the behaviour of both the mastering comp/converter clipping/and limiting will be different, as well as the fact different kit will probably be used.

In fact if you are mixing properly you simply shouldn't need a limiter, and avoid a possibly bad habit.

Simply keep your master fader on zero, keep you channel levels low, and inter plugin levels should never overload. Scoop away low lows on your channels, and you will never need a limiter.

If you want to pump the dynamics, use a compressor, don't overdo the ratio (no need to limit) and keep the gain reduction down.

If you are careful then sure you can get away with it, or when you are not causing the limiter to do anything, but then why have it there? If the limiter is not doing anything it means that you are mixing properly and don't need..............
New Shit

Mono-xID
Uumfääng

Post by Mono-xID »

Lost to the Void wrote:when you are not causing the limiter to do anything, but then why have it there? If the limiter is not doing anything it means that you are mixing properly and don't need..............
This...!!!
http://soundcloud.com/monoxid

Behringer = ARTS label of synths

kingrad
quasi-public

Post by kingrad »

So if you're mixing other channels volumes around the kick. What db should your kick be at the stage before you send to a mastering engineer who knows what they are doing and with nothing on the master output? I am never sure how loud I should be making the final mix before mastering. I understand that the mastering engineer needs some headroom to work with.

Mono-xID
Uumfääng

Post by Mono-xID »

depends on the track really...i had some similar question a few weeks ago

http://www.subsekt.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2083

kingrad
quasi-public

Post by kingrad »

Mono-xID wrote:depends on the track really...i had some similar question a few weeks ago

http://www.subsekt.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2083
Thats really helpful, thanks

Mono-xID
Uumfääng

Post by Mono-xID »

After some tips from the more experienced guys, i totally switched my point of view of mixing. It might sound cliched but since a few weeks i really give a fuck about all the graphics and meters and do mostly everything by ear while producing and i see a massive development in my mixes (for me at least :lol: ).

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

kingrad wrote:So if you're mixing other channels volumes around the kick. What db should your kick be at the stage before you send to a mastering engineer who knows what they are doing and with nothing on the master output? I am never sure how loud I should be making the final mix before mastering. I understand that the mastering engineer needs some headroom to work with.
Kick level is irrelevant, you just want to leave good headroom on the master. The standard is master level peak of -3db

But it really shouldn't be something to aim for, if you are peaking at less than -3, like -6 then it is fine, you don't need to turn it up, it is a limit, not a target.
The thing to get n your head is that, providing you are working in the box, a louder final mix does not mean you will end up with a louder master. So don't worry about getting a loud mix, just get a good mix, control any wayward peaks, such as bass, with in-channel compression or EQ, try to preserve audio information when you can, don't compress if you don't need to, don't EQ if you dont need to, get rid of bass in channels that don't need it, working at 32 bit or even 24 gives you loads of headroom, you don't need to be running everything to max.
Your mastering engineer will be able to give you better masters if he has the headroom to enable Eq corrections. Compression, limiting, soft clipping etc.

The better the mix, the better the master
New Shit

kingrad
quasi-public

Post by kingrad »

That is great advice Voidloss really appreciate it. I like what you said about being a limit not a target too I have never thought of things this way