Atmospheres and Spaces

Punxsutawney Phil's Shadow _ Contains 'A Best Of..' Selection Of Frequently Discussed Topics From THE HOLE
AVTWEE
Exampleless
Re: Atmospheres and Spaces

Post by AVTWEE »

Mattias wrote:Taken from the Soundcloud track info:

Abstract music made by recording water filled radiators. Then I played the recording pitched down through a huge chain of effects and into a vocoder from the MS2000 to make the smooth chord sequences. Then I added noise/hum from washing-machines (which also runs through a resonance filter).
Sounds really sweet man. This is something I have been missing in my productions big time. Something I really want to learn. If proper executed it gives your tracks the character they need.

Haha you lost me with the vocoder part man, never knew why they existed. I'm going to do some more research towards vocoders as well. I hate it not knowing things..

AVTWEE
Exampleless

Post by AVTWEE »

And how do you guys go about this. Do you start of making a drone/space/atmos and then build a track around this, or the other way around. Or do you make a lot of drones/spaces/atmos and apply them when needed?

Program
Chernobyl

Post by Program »

For me it's a must to have a layer of something underneath the track. Ranging from stuff like Mattias' drones to vinyl crackle or tape hiss for example. It can be in-your-face or completely hidden, I think it brings more life to clean digital music.

kuba_rubacha
Alf Garnett

Post by kuba_rubacha »

AVTWEE wrote:And how do you guys go about this. Do you start of making a drone/space/atmos and then build a track around this, or the other way around. Or do you make a lot of drones/spaces/atmos and apply them when needed?
depends on a person,i always do start with kick and a basd and then build around it,it definitelly brings more life to a track,only started using back noise in my last track and i must say it makes everytjing so.much easier,you can use less elements since u dont have to be filling out tha gaps as much:-)

StandardModel
skaghead

Post by StandardModel »

shifted is the master at this, think it's a lot to do with the roland space echo, among other things....

AVTWEE
Exampleless

Post by AVTWEE »

StandardModel wrote:shifted is the master at this, think it's a lot to do with the roland space echo, among other things....
Yeah, its sometimes so subtile in the background, but completely giving the track more power. Its something you have to develop i guess. like building kicks.. it took me a lot of time before i was able to produce pounding kicks, still i'm never happy with them while people around me think they are heavy.

the space echo is kind of pricey here in the netherlands. just saw one second hand for 350. seems like an awesome thing to have.

AVTWEE
Exampleless

Post by AVTWEE »

StandardModel wrote:shifted is the master at this, think it's a lot to do with the roland space echo, among other things....
just discovered there is a software version. anybody tried it yet?

Mattias
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mattias »

I have some Space Echo emulations they're totally ok.
Music Page: http://www.facebook.com/Mattias.Fridell.Music
Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/fridell
Sample packs: http://mfsamples.bandcamp.com

Contention / 005

kuba_rubacha
Alf Garnett

Post by kuba_rubacha »

2c aether is a whooper of a reverb,tha onlu ting thats annoyen is that ya cant automate it in ableton:-(

P-_
Jan : )

Post by P-_ »

kuba_rubacha wrote:2c aether is a whooper of a reverb,tha onlu ting thats annoyen is that ya cant automate it in ableton:-(
Are you talking about how any automation resets when you start or restart the track? Headwrecking that.

A work-around I found, and I have no idea if this will work for anyone else, is to put whatever automation you want within a clip's envelopes instead of on the regular automation channels. Obviously you can't put clips on return channels but you could route the return through a regular channel and have the reverb on that channel, thus allowing you to use the automation within clips.

Curious to hear if that works for someone else or if it's just a weird little glitch that's unique to my setup.

kuba_rubacha
Alf Garnett

Post by kuba_rubacha »

no,ots the aether on its own that doesnt support some kind of file extension me thinks,read about it on oine ages ago,apparently their workin to fix it and the next patch os ment to be all good:-)and about your problem i wish i could help ya but im only after swapin cubase for ableton so i wouldnt know dawg:-)

disparate
I forgot.... So baked.

Post by disparate »

rktic wrote:For that one i just fed a rather simple chord through a chorus followed by Magnus' Ambience, where i fiddled around with the settings to get a lush sounding reverb response, then i hit its 'HOLD!' button >
Just to say thanks for the tip, been making some nice sounds with it. Any old simple sawtooth patch suddenly sounds lush with a bit of chorus and a healthy dose of held Ambience... and EQing out the reverb definitely makes a difference.

I do various things for my background noise - often start with white noise or a high-frequency-rich Porc sample and a nearly (or fully) wet reverb and go from there. Been a big fan of background noise for a while - even when it's at a really low level you notice the difference when you mute it. I don't think I'm the only one who likes their techno a bit rough around the edges. Definitely got some new ideas from this thread though...

I want to explore found sounds a bit more too, been meaning to pick up a portable recorder thing for years but just haven't got around to it or bought other things on the rare occasion that there's a spare couple of hundred quid burning a hole in my pocket...

benjaminwilliams
broke

Post by benjaminwilliams »

I use synth presets and tweak them and use a narrow bandpass filter. Than I use a lot of verb and phaser.
Something else that seems to work is to use a sound thats already in your track, for instance a stab or vocal. Put a really big verb on the sound and loop the reverbtail. The big advantage is that the sound seems to fit with the track instantly. But i do not always get what i want. mess around a lot usually and than something nice comes out (or not).

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

rktic wrote:For that one i just fed a rather simple chord through a chorus followed by Magnus' Ambience, where i fiddled around with the settings to get a lush sounding reverb response, then i hit its 'HOLD!' button >

According to your settings it's capable to create quite good results that may just need a bit of filtering. For this i created a setup of very steep notch filters (in Buzz) around a center frequency, similar to Waves X-Hum (see screenshot) to damp/remove too attenuated frequencies.

Depending on the signal being processed by Ambience it might make sense to place X-Hum or whatever you've got at hands before the reverb to prevent it from creating too resonant sounds. Hint: too broad EQs will dig unpleasant, unnatural sounding holes and a single steep notch will most likely not remove problematic frequencies either. Not sure if a similar setup is possible with Ableton's internal EQ8 but it's worth trying.

Above setup was also starting point for most of the other sounds i uploaded to Freesound. Some have got some additional layers on top.
Thought I'd resurrect this thread / post as I was messing around with Magnus' Ambience last night, installing it on my new Mac & using it on kicks. Great vibe.

Need to check it on other stuff too.. but its a v. nice reverb.
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum
>> Click here for NEW POSTS on subsekt <<

Dialog I The Hole I subsekt Blog I The Bench I IG I SC I Mixes I FB

Mattias
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mattias »

Yeah Magnus Ambience a true classic
Music Page: http://www.facebook.com/Mattias.Fridell.Music
Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/fridell
Sample packs: http://mfsamples.bandcamp.com

Contention / 005

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Mattias / Ronny or anyone.. Need a bit of help :D

I've got Ambience installed on a PC here & am just wondering where the presets are kept. I can't find the folder that they're in.

Tried doing a .fxp / .fxb search on the HD, but that hasn't brought up anything that I could clearly see as being for Ambience. TBH, there was so much shit I very well could have missed it.

I know where to find the presets on Mac & have never thought to look for them on a PC. I have the plugins in a custom folder. Looking in there, I can see all the .dll's etc.. Ambience is in there, but theres no folder.

Tried hitting the save button / open button on the plugin box, when its on an actual channel in Live & it brings up the last folder that I saved a custom preset into.

Is there somewhere else on a PC where these things are kept?
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum
>> Click here for NEW POSTS on subsekt <<

Dialog I The Hole I subsekt Blog I The Bench I IG I SC I Mixes I FB