Analogue warmth (Valves, tubes, compressors, saturation)

Punxsutawney Phil's Shadow _ Contains 'A Best Of..' Selection Of Frequently Discussed Topics From THE HOLE
KulturIndustry
sad bastard
Re: Analogue warmth (Valves, tubes, compressors, saturation)

Post by KulturIndustry »

Thanks for the knowledge dropped in this thread as this whole gain staging business has been really eye opening and has started to reshape the way my music sounds.

gavisthename
leper

Post by gavisthename »

I dropped Sonimus an email to let them know about the love Satson is receiving in this thread. I also asked them to chip in and let us know what they got in the pipeline. Watch this space .....

Planar
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Planar »

Bumping this one as I've hovered over buying Satson many, many times over the past year. Mainly because I got a lot of use out of the CM version and more importantly everyone else uses it and I hate being left out :lol: .

Anyway, I just noticed they have added a grouping/bypass function to Britson and will soon add it to Satson. Now you can A/B the saturation it's adding in one button press; which was enough to put me off until now. Has anyone used the Britson and knows how it compares to the vanilla plugin? I'm kinda erring on the Britson side at the mo, as it has the new feature already and because it seems to have different summing models on the buss. It's probably splitting hairs, I know it's a subtle effect.

CRDM
hmmmmmm...

Post by CRDM »

I've not used britson yet but might give it a go. I read a bit about it a while ago and seemed to get some mixed reviews, mostly negative in comparison to satson, but then that could be anyone trying to do anything musically, so best thing would be to give it a go yourself and see if you like what it's doing. I've used satson on every track I've made for most of the time I've been making music and it's one of my favourite tools, I'm so used to it now I'm not sure id switch console emulation, britson is just going to be a different flavour but might be to your tastes and maybe to mine also. Post if you give it a go.

Planar
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Planar »

I did some research and went for the Britson, I was just swayed by those different modes on the buss, opinions on KVR etc seemed to go either way. I've not really used it much yet, but it's so much easier to tell if what it does is a good thing or not with the grouping. How it compares to Satson? I've no idea. Tbh it's so subtle I doubt I'd be able to tell the difference between them anyway.

rktic
Utter Cunt

Post by rktic »

Do the Sonimus channel strips also add these subtle saturated nuances in terms of summing? I was really pleased with the sound of raw 909 sounds driven through NLS once i tried it, especially in smacking stuff together (kick and snare pudding royale). Something that didn't get along that nicely with Satson. But since i didn't check it at home yet i can't really say if it was about me not finding that sweet spot yet.

I really want to get that summing issue solved once and for all...

Btw, there's another option with SKnote's Stripbus: http://www.sknote.it/StripBus.htm

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

I think the summing of satson is wonderful, if you want the extra glue you use it in fat mode and drive it a little for more tight dynamics.
That's pretty much my fave thing about it.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

msl
║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█

Post by msl »

I bought Britson when it came out and have been using it in place of Satsun on my latest productions, not really sure which I prefer yet. Britson is different thats for sure, seems brighter. Has a higher cpu hit also.
www.bernadettetrax.bandcamp.com
www.soundcloud.com/michaellovatt

“Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.” Dune

Mslwte
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mslwte »

man i started this thread a while ago. well since then i invested in the satson bundle and a hardware preamp that goes from warm to really broken haha. but yeah i love the satson stuff as well. turning up the input and messing with the drive is nice :)
https://soundcloud.com/mslwte
https://noizefacilityrecords.bandcamp.com
https://www.instagram.com/subsekt909
https://www.facebook.com/subsekt909/
Lost to the Void wrote:Fuck off, get some tequila down ya neck and make some noise you cunt....