Quantization and off-grid notes

Punxsutawney Phil's Shadow _ Contains 'A Best Of..' Selection Of Frequently Discussed Topics From THE HOLE
Hepta
I Love YOU!!!
Re: Quantization and off-grid notes

Post by Hepta »

Im a big fan of Burial's music. His off-grid placement is fucking stunning, it's not techno obiviously and his genre relies more to having a big swing, but it's very inspirational imo.

SquareTheCircle
quasi-public

Post by SquareTheCircle »

GLinet wrote:I even like moving the ghost kick back about a millisecond, to give the sidechain comp a bit of a head start... seems to tighten things up.
nice idea. sometimes i might manually draw a volume envelope.

I like mechanical but i might use the track delay by a few milliseconds to give the mix a bit of room. If I have the same thing in the right side as I do in the left i might add a delay to one side to add spacial awarness.

I dont use any swing settings but i might manually move the hits into swing position. Only small changes because they can drastically change the feel.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
BandCamp: https://jonathanhart.bandcamp.com
SoundCloud WIPS: https://soundcloud.com/djsquarethecircle
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

qb748t394
fancy woman

Post by qb748t394 »

Hepta wrote:Im a big fan of Burial's music. His off-grid placement is fucking stunning, it's not techno obiviously and his genre relies more to having a big swing, but it's very inspirational imo.

I dont want to "side-track" the thread, but... in terms of Burial, I heard/read that he uses Soundforge (which is an Audio Editor, not a DAW) and just arranges sounds along the timeline by eye and by "feel."

Planar
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Planar »

I think Burial moved to a proper DAW eventually. You can kinda tell the old stuff is in sound forge though, the timing is loose as. Still caned a few of his tracks in House DJ sets, to a much bemused crowd.

willemb
Mild

Post by willemb »

I used to do a lot in sound forge, its what i missed most when i went to mac. There is a 'acid' plugin which i used to use for it which helpfully divides the selection into 4/4 visually, so you can really easily edit in time. I never made entire tracks in it, but its not necessarily as loose to edit in as you might think.

serial
rescued

Post by serial »

+1 for Burial & soundforge ^^