Polyrhythms

Punxsutawney Phil's Shadow _ Contains 'A Best Of..' Selection Of Frequently Discussed Topics From THE HOLE
Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt
Re: Polyrhythms

Post by Lost to the Void »

I wasn't bashing it, I was stroking it gently.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

Planar
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Planar »

ashley BORG wrote:Was all up for making some Polyrhythms at lunch to find that Geist can't do it the way of Tremor, in stand alone mode.
Better install it on my work computer then. :D

Steve - Chill out dude ;)
I think you need to use multiple engines to do it in Geist. If they put the per-pad pattern length slider thing from Tremor into Geist I'd probably cry with joy or at least have a good wank- maybe both at the same time.

ozias_leduc
ANAL

Post by ozias_leduc »

if you use ableton live you can very easily also separate a clips's midi note loop length with the modulation loop length. can be good for added polyrhythmic complexity if you find some useful parameters to mess with.

bkwsk
skaghead

Post by bkwsk »

Unlinked clip automation in Live is pretty awesome for this. In Logic you can use the Hyper Editor too... Very interesting topic, very inspirational too.

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Cheers Bkwsk.. That reminds me of this wicked video.. explains how unlinking opens your mind mannnnnn :D

Probably the best video made about Ableton ever. Worth all of Tom C osm's put together haha

Unlink & Conquer:

http://vimeo.com/5962875

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum
>> Click here for NEW POSTS on subsekt <<

Dialog I The Hole I subsekt Blog I The Bench I IG I SC I Mixes I FB

bkwsk
skaghead

Post by bkwsk »

Awesome stuff ICN. I'd seen that previously but it always pushes me to start writing something :).

ashley BORG
Small Penis

Post by ashley BORG »

Just been having a play on my phone Dunno if I'll ever go back to straight 4/4 after this. The possibilities of beat combinations seem endless. All those hours I've spent trying to create out there patterns in 4/4 and the answer is here.

oddmyth
Anba

Post by oddmyth »

ICN wrote: Unlink & Conquer:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Well damn. Speechless I am.
Cue 3 2013 - Devil's Advocate.

See what this is all about at oddmyth.ca

KulturIndustry
sad bastard

Post by KulturIndustry »

ICN wrote:Cheers Bkwsk.. That reminds me of this wicked video.. explains how unlinking opens your mind mannnnnn :D

Probably the best video made about Ableton ever. Worth all of Tom C osm's put together haha

Unlink & Conquer:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Whoa! Mind blowing video

gavisthename
leper

Post by gavisthename »

Shit! That's one inspiring muthafucking video!

mjudge
Pig

Post by mjudge »

Great video! So just to clarify one thing, in the parts where he's sticking the saturator on the kick and the clap and saying it's to get "more RMS" he's just saying the saturator compresses the signal, right?

gavisthename
leper

Post by gavisthename »

The saturator acts as a limiter when you smash it so yeah it will stop peaks getting through reducing the dynamic range, thus increasing the rms

oddmyth
Anba

Post by oddmyth »

For more basic control of note/repeat/velocity/duration information in an unlinked manner, if you have Max for Live give the Mono Sequencer a try.

I was reading about it on the Ableton page a few weeks back, which has two of the six episodes that deal with it. The rest are on the Cycling'74 wiki.

youtu.be/JxOln1ksnLw

http://cycling74.com/wiki/index.php?tit ... encer_Ep01
Cue 3 2013 - Devil's Advocate.

See what this is all about at oddmyth.ca

bkwsk
skaghead

Post by bkwsk »

Thanks for those links oddmyth, I hadn't seen those.

benski
crud

Post by benski »

shit ive been living a lie! i feel liberated from the boring and evil 4x4 prison cell! cheers to anyone who has posted in this thread, i just unlinked a load of automation and dragged some clips markers about randomly on ableton and it sounds live.

I think to myself so much that my tune lacks 'movement' or 'texture' but i think this is the kind of tinkering its been needing to be honest.

Just to clarify, how would you actually ensure when the loop 'looped back on its self' so to speak thus setting off the long cycle again? is it just a question of maths? i.e setting the length to a certain time so that you know it will come back around at youre chosen point?

cheers, ben.

ashley BORG
Small Penis

Post by ashley BORG »

benski wrote:shit ive been living a lie! i feel liberated from the boring and evil 4x4 prison cell! cheers to anyone who has posted in this thread, i just unlinked a load of automation and dragged some clips markers about randomly on ableton and it sounds live.

I think to myself so much that my tune lacks 'movement' or 'texture' but i think this is the kind of tinkering its been needing to be honest.

Just to clarify, how would you actually ensure when the loop 'looped back on its self' so to speak thus setting off the long cycle again? is it just a question of maths? i.e setting the length to a certain time so that you know it will come back around at youre chosen point?

cheers, ben.
I think it naturally loops back on to itself.

Really glad I started this thread, everyone needs Polyrhythms in their life :D

comunion
Alf Garnett

Post by comunion »

anyone knows which groovebox, drum machine or sequencer (hardware) allows you to make polyrhythms in a more or less simple way? simple as in ableton or as when you programme some drum pattern in korg electribe esx.

Binary Society
Poo Fingers

Post by Binary Society »

oddmyth wrote:For more basic control of note/repeat/velocity/duration information in an unlinked manner, if you have Max for Live give the Mono Sequencer a try.

I was reading about it on the Ableton page a few weeks back, which has two of the six episodes that deal with it. The rest are on the Cycling'74 wiki.

youtu.be/JxOln1ksnLw

http://cycling74.com/wiki/index.php?tit ... encer_Ep01
Step sequencers are great way to create polyrythmic melodies with velocities, pitchs and gates not running on the same amount of steps, you can chose to have some elements keeping in sync with the track, like velocity for example, and some on different number of steps

For thoses who don't use Live there's a few VST ones, my two favourite at the moment are Thesys & Modulys

Planar
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Planar »

I'm going to give myself a shameless plug here. If you check the max 4 live thread it has a link to the polyrhythmic sequencer I'm slowly tinkering away on:

http://www.subsekt.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... 3&start=10

It's 8 sequencers which can all have their length set to different values for trivial poly-rhythm creation. Anyone who's used FXpansions Tremor should feel right at home. I've been using it for for a while and it's lovely for creating drum loops and you could use it for melodies with a little manipulation of the output midi. I've updated it more since then, so expect a new version in the next few weeks.

comunion
Alf Garnett

Post by comunion »

any suggestion in the hardware world?