Acoustic treatment, where to start?, what to do?

Punxsutawney Phil's Shadow _ Contains 'A Best Of..' Selection Of Frequently Discussed Topics From THE HOLE
Hades
Shit Eater
Re: Acoustic treatment, where to start?, what to do?

Post by Hades »

Dead End Dance wrote:
cutting rockwool is not bad at all. it's really soft and cuts like butter with virtually anything. in fact, i think i did use a long butter knife for that. haha. just wear a mask and long sleeves, since this stuff is supposedly pretty itchy if it touches your skin.

I isolated the ceiling and floors of my parents huge attick (amongst a few smaller places),
I can guarantee you the stuff gets everywhere.
even with a mask you start having a soar throath after a while, and your arms will eventually start itching, no matter if you wear long sleeves,
sooner or later, the stuff gets underneath your sleeves.
horrible stuff to deal with if you're talking about construction materials.
easy to work with, but fucking irritating
Sin cambios no hay mariposa

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

DED, could you make 2 helmholz resonators from those closets? Lol :)
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum
>> Click here for NEW POSTS on subsekt <<

Dialog I The Hole I subsekt Blog I The Bench I IG I SC I Mixes I FB

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Made a start on one of those traps yesterday. Just doing one to begin with to see what the effect is etc..

I used staples to quickly lash it all together. Its probably strong enough with the 'backing' fabric attached to it.. but I will add a few screws into it to lock it all together before the next stage.
Staples unnamed.jpg
Staples unnamed.jpg (28.64 KiB) Viewed 4929 times
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum

Mslwte
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mslwte »

An angle bracket on the back corners would go down a treat
https://soundcloud.com/mslwte
https://noizefacilityrecords.bandcamp.com
https://www.instagram.com/subsekt909
https://www.facebook.com/subsekt909/
Lost to the Void wrote:Fuck off, get some tequila down ya neck and make some noise you cunt....

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

I did think of that but I'm gonna do a bit of a cowboy job where I can.

The wood cost 15ish.
RW - 80ish for 3 bales, with 10slabs each.
Fabric was 80ish.

Fuck bracketz! I've spent enough :D

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

tbh.. I'm doing a dummy run with this one. I'll probably get some if I think its made an improvement.

Mslwte
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mslwte »

ICN wrote:I did think of that but I'm gonna do a bit of a cowboy job where I can.

The wood cost 15ish.
RW - 80ish for 3 bales, with 10slabs each.
Fabric was 80ish.

Fuck bracketz! I've spent enough :D
Yeeee haaa
https://soundcloud.com/mslwte
https://noizefacilityrecords.bandcamp.com
https://www.instagram.com/subsekt909
https://www.facebook.com/subsekt909/
Lost to the Void wrote:Fuck off, get some tequila down ya neck and make some noise you cunt....

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

ICN wrote:Made a start on one of those traps yesterday. Just doing one to begin with to see what the effect is etc..

I used staples to quickly lash it all together. Its probably strong enough with the 'backing' fabric attached to it.. but I will add a few screws into it to lock it all together before the next stage.
Staples unnamed.jpg

are you telling me you actually use staples to adjust two pieces of wood together ?
can't use a hammer and nails ?

knows what felching is but doesn't know how to use hammer and nails...

John John John, ow your poor poor mrs !

Hades facepalm... ;)

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

there's something else in that pic as well...

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Screwing is preferable over nailing when you got wood, especially this sort. If you don't drill a little hole your wood can split. So many sexual innuendos, but the info is true. Nails? No way!

The staples just put a light fix to the frame, just to save some time. I will be adding supports, but I'll use small blocks of wood with a screw to either length. I've got plenty of off cuts from previous DIY that I can use up.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

ICN wrote:Screwing is preferable over nailing when you got wood, especially this sort. If you don't drill a little hole your wood can split. So many sexual innuendos, but the info is true. Nails? No way!

The staples just put a light fix to the frame, just to save some time. I will be adding supports, but I'll use small blocks of wood with a screw to either length. I've got plenty of off cuts from previous DIY that I can use up.

you've just gone up my respect ladder a tiny tiny bit. :D ;) ;)
You are 100% right about the screws part !
In fact, after I typed it and went back to sanding off my floor, I thought "nah, screws would have even been far better".

But if you know all this (drilling tiny wholes before you put in the screws to prevent the wood from splitting),
why on earth do you still just use a staple gun ?

Don't get me wrong, I'm just having a laugh with you, but after having renovated 80% of my house (and still working some days now),
and having done several attics elsewhere, it just made me shrug when I saw the staples.
Staples are just good for adjusting light substances. They can't hold stuff together with force.
I seriously doubt your frame will hold up very long if all you use are some staples.
Honestly, I'd get at least some long screw in there with a small diameter.

(also, just my personal opinion, but if you would hit some small nails in there (instead of screws), one in each piece,
I don't think the wood would split, it looks more than thick enough to be able to hold a single nail on each side)

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Its not that I was using staples as the first & last resort of support Tom.. Its just it was handier to bang in some staples when I didnt really have a good place to be working. I was outside, it was a bit awkward & time was of a precious premium. I just wanted to get the basic shape together quickly.

TBH.. They would be surprisingly sufficient stapled if they were going to remain in place forever.. but I will be adding more strength. They do need it & I need it for piece of mind. I'm not doing all this again lol

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Respect Ladder - A new rank I think haha

Dead End Dance
fake

Post by Dead End Dance »

finally got everything set up this weekend. i'm still experimenting with speaker/desk positions. looking at REW graphs, a lot of frequencies got flattened out, but there are still peaks and nulls of course. there was a particularly nasty dip at 81Hz. i moved the speakers almost flush against the back wall (they were about 20cm away) and that dip migrated to 115Hz and flattened out a bit. strangely enough, moving the mic about 8cms off center completely removed it. so i'm going to spend a bit of time A/Bing slightly different positions. but the modal ringing graph definitely showed major improvements. i'm still reading about how to interpret all these graphs, but from what I understand so far, modal ringing is just as important as frequency response. in any case, I can definitely HEAR some major improvements. the bass is really tight. i don't hear major differences just by shifting my head around like used to happen before (so wider sweet spot). everything is really focused. and the stereo image is amazing. yesterday i just sat there for 2 hours listening to all kinds of music, just having eargasms left and right. it was definitely worth it.
Attachments
room.jpg
room.jpg (95.27 KiB) Viewed 4928 times
first reflections.jpg
first reflections.jpg (76.74 KiB) Viewed 4928 times
cloud.jpg
cloud.jpg (89.84 KiB) Viewed 4928 times

ONE
Chernobyl

Post by ONE »

That room oozes non-shui radiation across the visual spectrum. I applaud your ability to both relax & focus in a space like this; such bold stylistic themes ;)

Alternative materials to the RW route: what else works?

Polystyrene balls?
Straw?

(I've encountered no absorbency data on stuffed Squirrels and Pheasants, but I've one of each somewhere in the cellar, thought I'd mount them in the room too).

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

ONE wrote:
(I've encountered no absorbency data on stuffed Squirrels and Pheasants, but I've one of each somewhere in the cellar, thought I'd mount them in the room too).
one of my best friends has a thing with stuffed animal heads, and most especially deer (as much bambi-like as possible)
Once I was in a case of traffic-agression which happened 10m away from his house,
so about half an hour later I was sitting in his living room and trying to explain to 2 female police officers what had happened when I was sitting next to his "bambi-wall"
I swear, the situation felt totally surrealistic, and I thought "fuck me, no way are these 2 ever gonna take me serious about anything I say to them" :D

I once made up a serious plan about stealing a stuffed chicken from a bar we frequently go to,
as a kind of surprise gift for his birthday,
but then a fire got the best out of the stuffed chicken before I could steal it.
a damn shame...
Only time I ever saw a stuffed chicken.

On the other hand, one of the markets I go to once every few months, sells these chickens that are real Beethoven look-alikes.
Some day I'm just gonna buy him one and drop it in his garden.

They look something like this :

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Joking aside!

They're fucking big (and quite potentially dusty & erm.. dirty) .. but I had the mattress from the spare room in here for a couple of days when we were doing some painting. It made a huge difference. You need bulk, density and/or clever theory.

Dead End Dance
fake

Post by Dead End Dance »

ONE wrote:That room oozes non-shui radiation across the visual spectrum. I applaud your ability to both relax & focus in a space like this; such bold stylistic themes ;)
haha. well, it's black and gray for the most part. are you talking about the Ikea rug? overall aesthetic was given some consideration, but it's always a tradeoff between looks, price, and functionality. dropping twice as much money on things to have everything color-matched in a metrosexual kind of way didn't seem like a good use of my funds. so the room might not be sexy, but the sound is. and when you are absorbed by what you are doing, the room disappears anyway, so it makes no difference.

surface
Balance

Post by surface »

Mounting stuffed animals...a new low on subsekt! :D

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

surface wrote:Mounting stuffed animals...a new low on subsekt! :D
if you have an old dog or some rooster to spare, maybe we can give it a 2nd life !