First hard synth ideas?

Punxsutawney Phil's Shadow _ Contains 'A Best Of..' Selection Of Frequently Discussed Topics From THE HOLE
Hades
Shit Eater
Re: First hard synth ideas?

Post by Hades »

Senko wrote: youtu.be/hNpeVgpa_oU
well, it's just one complex pad sound with some other samples thrown on top (crunched bell sounds !),
or perhaps 2 pads thrown together with the crickety/snake rattle sounds.

just get omnipshere :mrgreen:

seriously though : get creative with a few pad sounds and samples.
Sin cambios no hay mariposa

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

here I was waiting for a synth sound the whole damn song...
It's just that dubby chord. All the rest is drums.
I'm presuming you're handling drums with a drum computer or samples.
That dubby chord, you can do that with every kind of synth.
If you don't know how to do that, just google "dub techno chords with ableton" or something,
there must be tons of tutorials that cover this topic on youtube.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

Senko wrote:I figured as much with the Prophet. Their prices are insane! Not so sure a prophet would be my go to anyways though. The synths I listed are just ones I like. Yeah I saw a XTK rack with custom add-ons go for $700, but I missed it by a couple days. But the big question is whether or not they can achieve that classic Boards of Canada sound.

@ 1:15

youtu.be/tDyuqBStHDY
no offence, but that sound on 1:15 doesn't even sound half as good as the dreamy BoC pads.
but I get what you're saying.

Anyway, do you have ableton senko ?
Do you have Analog (the ableton VST) ?
If so I can send you one or two of those typical BoC patches.
I was gonna upload a demo I once made a few years back of the pad sounds I made with analog, but stupid soundcloud isn't working.

never mind, I got the whopping adventurous task to do of installing Komplete 9...
Finally got the upgrade, and installing Komplete 5 somehow went wrong when I tried it on my new MBP a few months back.
I'm curious to see how it goes now...
Fucking NI cunts...

Senko
decent

Post by Senko »

Yep, i'm purely Ableton-based, and I use Analog from time to time. Send 'em over!

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

Senko wrote:Yep, i'm purely Ableton-based, and I use Analog from time to time. Send 'em over!
how about : thank you mr incredible (and of course ever humble) hades for taking the time trying to dissect those tracks I posted,
instead of "Send 'em over !" :D ;)

Goddamn the young and their lazy ungrateful nature ! ;)

PM me with your email-address. I can't send you anything unless I have an email-address.

I promised some analog presets to Pedro a few weeks ago and (of course) totally forgot about that.
It's fucking tempting to try out my NI Komplete update and some wonderful Reaktor ensembles,
but I'm selecting a few analog patches right now.
You guys want pads mostly, no ?

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

ok, got a liveset ready with analog patches.
hit me with a PM including your email and I'll send it your way.

UN!T
Lifer

Post by UN!T »

Right so I have done up a couple loops with the Xt and the MicroWave since Senko has asked for some sort of techno context. Boring basic drum loop.

MW dialing bass- Xt does a chord with some reverb and delay on it in the background. The Microwave does the bass sound. I let the bass sound play a bit while I play with the filter for a short time. Then I let the patch run as I scroll thru the wavetables with the filter open to give an idea of how the different waves sound. Then bring the cut off down once I have found something else to have a go with. Mind your ears some of the wavetables can be abrupt when changing from one to the next. There a bit of a funny sound in there too when I change the wavetable as the sequencer sends triggers. Not something you would really want to do in actual usage. Better off scanning the wavetable start point(s) Here it is

https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/MW%20dia ... tu31Ls_VRg

More to come... pads next...
C0REZ wrote:techno 2014 = fascism
:lol:

(NYXX)
Poo Fingers

Post by (NYXX) »

If you want that dub chord sound plenty of tutorials in the boobtube, but also reaktor is on sale if you dont have it already, download the free user nord lead and juno 6 ensemble , some reverb, delay, chorus, etc... instant dubby goodness. ;)

UN!T
Lifer

Post by UN!T »

Example 2.

MW doing a pad while the Xt does a metallic chord with some verb and delay. Again. The drum pattern I just stole off a track that I was trying the reverb bass technique. Hence the toms. Sounds like shit with out all the processing. In fact both the 808 and 909 sound like shit to me with out processing most of the time. There is some filter action happening on the MW. I think I added the noise source this time. This is the last 2 minutes of 20 minutes that I just fucked around with. Then I remembered Senko asked about BoC type pads so I made a pad and swept the filter a bit, I forgot about the osc drift tho.

Senko if you want some sort of a specific examples of sounds that would be a lot easier for me to do rather than just guessing. I could do sort of an A/B pad of the Xt vs the Mw with a swept filter. Or some sort of percussive sounds.

Senko
decent

Post by Senko »

UN!T wrote:Right so I have done up a couple loops with the Xt and the MicroWave since Senko has asked for some sort of techno context. Boring basic drum loop.

MW dialing bass- Xt does a chord with some reverb and delay on it in the background. The Microwave does the bass sound. I let the bass sound play a bit while I play with the filter for a short time. Then I let the patch run as I scroll thru the wavetables with the filter open to give an idea of how the different waves sound. Then bring the cut off down once I have found something else to have a go with. Mind your ears some of the wavetables can be abrupt when changing from one to the next. There a bit of a funny sound in there too when I change the wavetable as the sequencer sends triggers. Not something you would really want to do in actual usage. Better off scanning the wavetable start point(s) Here it is

https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/MW%20dia ... tu31Ls_VRg

More to come... pads next...
Link won't work no matter what I try :?

As far as the MW and XT, i'm mostly concerned with chords, atmos and pad like sounds with varied attack and release settings (Selection One, Red Planet Express, The Bot, etc). I've watched a good amount of youtube videos to see what it's capable of and I like what i'm seeing. As far as tutorials and such, I usually tend to not watch any as I do everything by ear. I can make some nice dubby chords and 70's pads and what not, but the problem doesn't lay there. It's mostly the specifics, or else we'd all be on par with that level of sound. But I guess that is the trade secret of established producers, so it's best to put my curiosity to rest :D

UN!T
Lifer

Post by UN!T »

Oops sorry maybe I need to enable sharing. Try these. :?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ruy4be6wtbs55 ... 0bass..wav

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xaay2p4wme771 ... d%21-1.wav

If those work I will do a couple more.

Reaktor some nice AD/DA and a used Moog Lpf and you will be ahead by about 1k or so.

If you are dying for a RevA MW I & you're willing to pay 2K give or take. I might be persuaded to part with it...

References available upon request. :mrgreen:

Senko
decent

Post by Senko »

The distinct sound of those MW1's gets me every time... Thanks for those clips :D

So the XT Shadow edition went for roughly $1,400. God know why, it's just a color.

In the mean time the Prophet 08 and Virus TI2 have grabbed my attention. Can get either for roughly $1,300 (Virus TI2 used). I haven't heard much of what the TI2 can do besides a large amount of Tranceheads posting their unison super-saws. What catches my eye are the granular filters, wavetable option and the vast polyphony.

UN!T
Lifer

Post by UN!T »

This might have something to do with it. ;)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/claudiosi ... /lightbox/

Senko
decent

Post by Senko »

UN!T wrote:This might have something to do with it. ;)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/claudiosi ... /lightbox/
Heheheheh. Now to find the justification for why the Wave costs more than my car.

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

youtu.be/uV9-XA5MPwY

this thing is awesome

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

Im looking for a coolsynth sequencer. I dont really need keys, i want something to make cool melodies with. A big pallette of sounds would be. Nice.

Something like the nordrack or dark energy?

Sorry for my bad sentences. Im on my phone.

UN!T
Lifer

Post by UN!T »

The.above is the RKY185 EuroRack sequencer. It's monophonic. It would be less than ideal for your frist hardware sequencer. You would need to buy cv/gate modules to build a euro rack or a synth that accepts cv/gate ie: a101 or something similar. If you intend to use this with a midi synth you will be sadly disappointed. You will need a cv to midi converter to do that. Plus you'll be stuck with a single trigger out. It's a highly specialized item. Forget about it. :lol:

Now what do you want this hardware sequencer to do? I know you want it to sequence... Here are some options across various price points with different levels of functionality. I will list them in order of price liwest to high. Since that seems to be the biggest concern for ever say cunts...

MMT-8, Midipal, Korg ESX, Rm1x/RS7000, MPC500/1000, Doepfer MAQ16. OctaTrack, Sequentix Cirklon, Manakin Schrittmacher. There are some other too.

I have used owned several of the above. My personal favourite is the Cirklon. It's expensive but it's worth it. Its extremely feature rich & has a depth of programming that will keep me occupied for years. The dev provides excellent support and welcomes feature requests and feedback. This means its possible to help shape the development somewhat. Been there done that. ;)
If your objective is to eliminate the computer from the studio the Cirklon is the machine you want. If I sold all my gear I would keep the Cirklon
and use it with Reaktor & Ableton. It's that good. :)

UN!T
Lifer

Post by UN!T »

Oh yeah I forgot to add the RYK185 sequencer functionality is in the Cirklon. It was added via feature request. While its not identical it's quite close. I will add while that vid is quite impressive once you star playing with the RKY style sequencing it can become a little tiresome after an hour or 2 of this type of pattern.

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

I wasnt really implying on getting that, but your right in unskilled in the hardware business. I do use a machinedrum, i cut audio from it and im still busy learning it.

What im looking for is something that functions best through trail and error, a machine that can make unique and though sounds and can create hypnotic rythms almost percussive like. I need big room for experimantation, as each track is an experiment.

I'm not shure if there is a specific machine that im looking for, but i thought here would be a good start.

I'll check out the ones you posted above, thanks!

UN!T
Lifer

Post by UN!T »

Ah I've misunderstood.

What you are describing sounds like the Cirklon, (but thats just my own bias).
It doesn't provide any sound at all...

In fact most hardwate sequencers tend not to. Machines that are best in class tend to focus on a single type of functionality. Once you start to veer from the original intent the quality tends to suffer in one area or another. You end up with one of 2 other classes of machines machines, keyboard workstations or groove boxes. Both have benefits and drawbacks.

If you would like something that allows more complexity & experimentation than you're average DAW you might try out Numerology512. It will give you a taste of what something like the Ciklon is capable of in a software format. http://www.five12.com/n3.html Give it a go and see if its something you like. :)