how do you think techno will sound in the coming years?

General Chat // Music Discussion
Mono-xID
Uumfääng
Re: how do you think techno will sound in the coming years?

Post by Mono-xID »

The only Regal worth talking about is the Ikea Billy Regal. It's good for books, records, sex toys etc.
http://soundcloud.com/monoxid

Behringer = ARTS label of synths

over9000
Nor Crystal Tears

Post by over9000 »

haha lil mulero :D
or Yung Cleric x Dax Khalifa

TV comercials for dyson vacuum cleaners with fm bleeps and some serious 909hat ts ts ts
yeah thats the future right there, we should all open our minds hop on that train!

nah seriously what a pile of crap.
i think when the big Bumload trend is over, techno will be all underground again..
no more tomorrowlands and fancy booking agency portfolios

but i think there is a fair ammount of people interested in proper techno as well, its just that it gained a bit of mainstream popularity when people like regal are trying to become the next radiostars. what a jerk..
i even like one ep from him: https://www.discogs.com/de/Regal-Acid-I ... er/1135498 :cry:

Squill
non reader

Post by Squill »

over9000 wrote:nah seriously what a pile of crap.
i think when the big Bumload trend is over, techno will be all underground again..
no more tomorrowlands and fancy booking agency portfolios
How underground we talking though? Subterranean or a bit below the earths mantle? :lol: Tomorrowland has been doing techno way before the Bumload trend and was top notch last year for the technos :D

THX_1138
BAD

Post by THX_1138 »

I'm often quite amazed by how bothered people on here seem to be about putting down 'generic music', when I think a lot of music that people here seem to like is actually also really generic.

Genre's are fine... there's not much electronic club music that isn't generic. They just fall in different genre's ( or different microcosms of genre's).

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

THX_1138 wrote:
Genre's are fine... there's not much electronic club music that isn't generic..
You just have to look a bit harder.
Plenty of artists out there not riding the same sounding train as the herd.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

chava
You only live once

Post by chava »

You need genres to make sense of it all. Most of the self-decribed 'genre-less' stuff are horribly conservative or just a mess.

SHIDZO
pregnant

Post by SHIDZO »

Sometimes I'm really tempted to take part in conversations like this, but then I'm like fuck that, I'd rather spend my time in making music.

0dd
Get in the back of the van

Post by 0dd »

Well pop techno is probably gonna enter verse-chorus-verse land. Proper techno, I have a feeling there's gonna be some kind of technologicaly induced breakthrough. The way it should be every some years. I hope some funk will crawl back into it. The dark techno fad is definately annoying.
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music". Aldous Huxley

CubiK Mass
Alf Garnett

Post by CubiK Mass »

Techno needs to get funk into it, there's no soul in a lot of it, you can still be underground and pioneering, but don't forget the funk.

Some of the best techno I have ever heard were in sets and live PA's by the Chemical Brothers in the 90's when they were underground and then crossing over, what their stuff had was drive, with funk and soul, they made some absolute bangers that the masses lapped up as well as the cool underground kids.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

There is a time and a place for everything.
Techno doesn't need funk, or soul, or whatever.
It could do with being less trend set, and more diverse in sound.
Unfortunately as it has become a popularity contest, a battle of PR companies, it's just a gaggle of folks trying to blow in whatever direction is the popularist one.
Wishing for more funk might bite you on your ass, as if it's the next thing the pweebs latch on to, then that is all you will get and you will be dying for something with more edge or whatever.

The real thing here, is just get away from the mainstream, there are plenty of artists out there doing all sorts of interesting techno, they just aren't in the PR Resident Badadvisor hype train.
New Shit

Mono-xID
Uumfääng

Post by Mono-xID »

I was at Jerkhain last Saturday. I never saw Answer Code Request and his music isn't my cup of tea either. But it happened that this was the record release party for his new album and he played live for an hour.

I have to admit that he got some serious live skills and music wise it was the freshest techno/broken beat/industrial kind of thing I heard in a while. It was really good.
Though I still don't like his records, I wouldn't hesitate to see him live again (which is rare for techno live acts I've seen. And I've seen quite a few.)

Compared to that, Blawan afterwards was mediocre, generic and boring as fuck.

over9000
Nor Crystal Tears

Post by over9000 »

i always liked answer code request, apart from the stupid name.
its a bit trancy at times, but sound design and atmosphere are always great.
and hes trying to explore different rhythms etc
blawan on the other hand got a bit boring with his last release, which is fine, but in the past i always thought of blawan as a super special artist.

Mono-xID
Uumfääng

Post by Mono-xID »

Well, that ACR live set from Saturday was far from being trancy.

CubiK Mass
Alf Garnett

Post by CubiK Mass »

Best artist I've heard in the last year by a mile is I Hate Models, his sets are brilliance.

Stace
Classical Approach

Post by Stace »

Mono-xID wrote: When I was their age, everyone was on pills and had colorful (sometimes really silly, but I take silly looks over uniforms all day) clothing.
Don't worry, I'm still doing that :D

I look like there has been an explosion in a clown shop. Generally.

CubiK Mass
Alf Garnett

Post by CubiK Mass »

Lost to the Void wrote:There is a time and a place for everything.
Techno doesn't need funk, or soul, or whatever.
It could do with being less trend set, and more diverse in sound.
Unfortunately as it has become a popularity contest, a battle of PR companies, it's just a gaggle of folks trying to blow in whatever direction is the popularist one.
Wishing for more funk might bite you on your ass, as if it's the next thing the pweebs latch on to, then that is all you will get and you will be dying for something with more edge or whatever.

The real thing here, is just get away from the mainstream, there are plenty of artists out there doing all sorts of interesting techno, they just aren't in the PR Resident Badadvisor hype train.
When the underground goes overground, you build a new underground, repeat to fade, that's the cycle.

I've lost count of the different genre's I've been into over the years, this is the longest spell I've been into techno since the 90's, was into the synthwave stuff when it was underground in france 2008/9, got back into UK garage a couple of years ago when that had a resurgence, my tastes constantly move, always in search of something fresh and new because I get bored quickly.

Underground music that moves into the mainstream is a natural cycle, like I say you just build a new one with a different flavour, Techno needs to get some funk back into it, bit more melody, but for me still with a harder, driving edge to it.

A modern incarnation of this type of stuff would be a good start, get energy and fun back into techno...

youtu.be/scctUFAoS7Q

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Or just find the stuff that is already there doing just that.
Techno needs.... is a fail statement. It's already there.
New Shit

Prophän
Back Bling

Post by Prophän »

CubiK Mass wrote:Best artist I've heard in the last year by a mile is I Hate Models, his sets are brilliance.
I don't even think it was his best year.

over9000
Nor Crystal Tears

Post by over9000 »

yeah iam a bit disapointed of i hate models too.
saw him just once though, but that wasent completely awesome. decent for sure.
he has great tracks no doubt and is certainly one of the more interesting artists.

RWise
durchfall

Post by RWise »

Thought the first Ihatemodels EP on arts was pretty nice. But everything else ive heard from him i think is shite.

This just sounds like the soundtrack from a Tekken game or something

youtu.be/ZhP0vebmvnU
Dont take life so seriously :mrgreen: