how do you think techno will sound in the coming years?

General Chat // Music Discussion
Mattias
subsekt
subsekt
Re: how do you think techno will sound in the coming years?

Post by Mattias »

dubdub wrote:You can't play linear tools where nothing happens and then have them run for 4 minutes on their own zzzZZZZzzzzz
I wish more people would understand this.
Music Page: http://www.facebook.com/Mattias.Fridell.Music
Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/fridell
Sample packs: http://mfsamples.bandcamp.com

Contention / 005

onthemake
broke

Post by onthemake »

Personally i hope the future sound of techno music will see a return to DJs playing music they like rather than sticking to a genre or sound. And a return to good DJs rather than dj producers.

I like techno music still but really struggle to find any new interesting artists when it comes to mixing tunes together. Mixtape wise techno is so dull these days.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

onthemake wrote:Personally i hope the future sound of techno music will see a return to DJs playing music they like rather than sticking to a genre or sound. And a return to good DJs rather than dj producers.

I like techno music still but really struggle to find any new interesting artists when it comes to mixing tunes together. Mixtape wise techno is so dull these days.

This so much.
Techno is so diverse, too many DJs with monotonic selection, and way too many DJs making music with barely a grasp on... making music, focus in being a good DJ. (Even worse the amount of guys throwing a billion devices at their DJ sets, just play tunes or play live PA fuck off with your live "remixing" it sounds shite".
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

acesd619
Gnasher

Post by acesd619 »

Music producers making music for music producers and DJ's DJ-ing for other DJ's. That is not a world I want to live in although it seems inevitable due to over saturation. Who am I to criticize though as I also believe that every competent being has creative ability and is capable of more sophisticated taste. You might want to hear something more sophisticated as the skilled artists that you are but not the folks who recently decided to go through a hyped up phase to shake their realities. Are we getting to a point of art being more about the artist and their peers? I'm all for pushing the envelope but it is like adding fish sauce to some curry. Nobody thinks about the fish sauce when they are eating curry - or is that too much of a generalization? This is why subliminal modulation is my cup of tea or should I say pint of beer. Burp.

jacksonick
reverse genius

Post by jacksonick »

I don't think everyone is a performer or artist, some people are really good audience and get different and/or more out of it.

acesd619
Gnasher

Post by acesd619 »

I think every damned human being is an artist in their own way. That said, I think there is a plague of self-indulgent elitism in the projected techno community. I find it pretty fascinating and I'm here to hopefully learn more about it. I was almost tempted to start a thread asking how to make a low end rumble for my own self-indulgent enjoyment. I will confidently say that this clusterfuck isn't what techno is supposed to be. Some wise ass once said be the change you want to see in the world. If you don't want to make a change then you can go order yourself a Bumload hat and have a nice day.

RWise
durchfall

Post by RWise »

DVS1 made a great point in an interview about the separation of DJs and producers. The problem is to get some sort of decent income from your music, you kinda have to DJ and gig to make any real bulk of money from your records, as sales aint gonna be giving you much to anything.

And this means theres a lot of producers who just force themselves to be a DJ, when they might not actually be a DJ in the true sense.

Back in the 90s producers could make a living off of selling records. But now if they start playing gigs all the time, they spend less time in the studio, doing what they do best, producing.
Dont take life so seriously :mrgreen:

acesd619
Gnasher

Post by acesd619 »

I was just thinking how great it would be if any one of us could take a time travel back to the 90's with just a laptop. Oooohweeee!

Prophän
Back Bling

Post by Prophän »

RWise wrote:DVS1 made a great point in an interview about the separation of DJs and producers. The problem is to get some sort of decent income from your music, you kinda have to DJ and gig to make any real bulk of money from your records, as sales aint gonna be giving you much to anything.

And this means theres a lot of producers who just force themselves to be a DJ, when they might not actually be a DJ in the true sense.

Back in the 90s producers could make a living off of selling records. But now if they start playing gigs all the time, they spend less time in the studio, doing what they do best, producing.
Live Performance sounds like a the perfect compromise between the two

RWise
durchfall

Post by RWise »

Prophän wrote: Live Performance sounds like a the perfect compromise between the two
mmm dunno, it depends on what that person considers a 'live set'. In the techno world a lot of 'live sets' have proven time and time again to be some half assed shite. If youre going to just ponce around on a controller and ableton triggering stems from a track over a TR-8, then ill pass...

A properly selected, well mixed DJ set tops that for me any day.

But a properly thought out live set, implementing actual hardware machines and on the spot improvisation could definitely be interesting. And be a good alternative to a proper producer who isnt really a DJ.

acesd619
Gnasher

Post by acesd619 »

I think the word "set" should be exchanged with "performance" and maybe that could induce some consciousness in not only the performer but the consumer as well. How many "set" creators are willing to challenge themselves to push performance? Mmmm. Now you're treading on the edge of existential wonder and beauty.

Mattias
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mattias »

acesd619 wrote:I think the word "set" should be exchanged with "performance" and maybe that could induce some consciousness in not only the performer but the consumer as well. How many "set" creators are willing to challenge themselves to push performance? Mmmm. Now you're treading on the edge of existential wonder and beauty.
This is very good thinking in my opinion. Thanks for the insight!
Music Page: http://www.facebook.com/Mattias.Fridell.Music
Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/fridell
Sample packs: http://mfsamples.bandcamp.com

Contention / 005

Plyphon
endless

Post by Plyphon »

acesd619 wrote:I was just thinking how great it would be if any one of us could take a time travel back to the 90's with just a laptop. Oooohweeee!

Nah we'd still get schooled by some dude with an MPC and a stolen 101 that was once pissed on by goldie.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Plyphon wrote:
acesd619 wrote:I was just thinking how great it would be if any one of us could take a time travel back to the 90's with just a laptop. Oooohweeee!

Nah we'd still get schooled by some dude with an MPC and a stolen 101 that was once pissed on by goldie.

Haha, literally nearly spat my drink at the person opposite me on the train. Haha.
New Shit

[wesellboxes]
Q33 NY

Post by [wesellboxes] »

This guy has the right idea

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

No, he`s a fucking cock knocker. The only way to get hip hop big with techno is to be as shit and generic as commercial hip hop (which he is clearly ok with, whoever the fuck he is), the man is pricktard with a desire to appeal to the lowest common denominator, and he can go in the toilet with all the other excrement.

I don`t think I`m taking advice or listening to a man that shits out turds like this.

"Techno"
New Shit

RWise
durchfall

Post by RWise »

Jesus what the fuck happened to regal...

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

RWise wrote:Jesus what the fuck happened to regal...
I think the term, which can be genuinely applied in this case, is sell-out.

Or he caught a bout of musical diarrhoea, although taking a quick scan through his back catalogue on beatfart, it appears he has always made derivative and generic shite to be played at tescos and childrens rides.
New Shit

RWise
durchfall

Post by RWise »

well regardless if youre a fan of his back catalogue or not, he definitely put out some heavy material that would always blow the roof off a club.

terryfalafel
Component

Post by terryfalafel »

RWise wrote:well regardless if youre a fan of his back catalogue or not, he definitely put out some heavy material that would always blow the roof off a club.

I can defo imagine getting down to that as I'm perusing the aisles doing my Saturday big shop.