General Chat // Music Discussion
Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt
Re: Food

Post by Lost to the Void »

Hades wrote:
0dd wrote:
Lost to the Void wrote:I do all the cooking in the house, the missus burns water.
I'm pretty good at cooking.

Today I cooked barbecue pulled Jackfruit with frites.
Yesterday was pancake day so I made dairy free crepes with oyster mushrooms, toasted sweetcorn and a cheeze and sage sauce.
Then we had dairy free pancakes with a (dairy free) chocolate and black cherry sauce.

I cook vegan versions of food from just about every type of quisine. Thai, Moroccan, Persian, Northern European, Spanish, Italian, Mexican, North and South Indian, South American, Turkish, Greek, Eastern European, Chinese, African.
We have this big notebook of all the things I cook, and the missus picks the weeks menu from it, and I cook it.

Cooking for people is pleasurable to me, it's a way of sharing love, of saying I love you.
Void you're a vegan?! I knew there had to be something...
Quincy Jones' recipe...

http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/recs/5 ... 5056.shtml

and my personal favorite (just posting it again) :

https://heatherchristo.com/2013/07/28/b ... pork-ribs/

Oh the hilarity of posting meat stuff to a vegan in a bout of original high humour.

Just think, one day some real dirty fucker is going stick his penis in your daughter's ass.
And she is going to beg for more.

Haha hehe etc
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

over9000
Nor Crystal Tears

Post by over9000 »

haha!
ribs are overrated anyway

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

I made some awesome breakfast Kufta with coconut milk custard the other day for the missus as she is having a real hard time of life at the mo.
So I'm cooking a lot of comfort food.

The Kufta were made with dessicated coconut, mashed bananas, chopped mango, vegan egg replacer, ground almonds a little flour, date syrup, baking powder and a sprinkle of garam masala.

Roll the mix into golf ball sized balls and bake until brown.

Then made the custard with coconut milk powder, a little agave syrup, vanilla extract, a touch of tumeric for colour, and corn flour (or tapioca flour) to thicken.

Once the custard is a nice consistency pour it generously over a few Kufta in a bowl.

The custard will soak in, they are like heavy donuts in custard. Much healthier.
Can actually bung anything in em, I just like coconut and mango.

Great comfort food breakfast (or desert)
New Shit

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

over9000 wrote:haha!
I dunno about that, I make some pretty awesome Seitan BBQ ribs.
Chewy, smokey, meaty, sweet, sticky....

Cooked em for Steve Makaton last time he was over, and he wanted me to be his wife.
New Shit

over9000
Nor Crystal Tears

Post by over9000 »

yeah seitan can be amazing.
i did 25 kg for the food section of a big party we did 2 years ago.
perperation time almost 2 days lol
we made seitan kebap, the people loved it
at events we always cook vegan its generally really appreciated

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

I`ve yet to try making vegan kebab (tips would be welcome)
I been vegan for a long time so we kinda stopped with substituting meat a long time ago, so Seitan is a relatively new discovery for me.
I made some Seitan chorizo, which was awesome.

But yeah, the only time we try to mimic meat is when I cook for guests, and even then, not that much.

Had my mum over to stay for christmas and decided to not do any meat substitutes at all, just cook what we normally eat, and she loved all of it. Not only that, her diverticulitus didn`t flare up at all (no surprises there, no diary...), so she`s now gone vegan. Not for ethical reasons, but for health reasons, but I`ll take it.
She can`t glibly apologise "for me" whenever I take her out for dinner or whatever now, because she wants the vegan food too.
New Shit

0dd
Get in the back of the van

Post by 0dd »

Lost to the Void wrote:
over9000 wrote:haha!
I dunno about that, I make some pretty awesome Seitan BBQ ribs.
Chewy, smokey, meaty, sweet, sticky....

Cooked em for Steve Makaton last time he was over, and he wanted me to be his wife.
So wait, is just your mrs vegan or you too? How could anybody be into something like techno AND be a vegan? Non sequitur. Vegeterian ok, but vegan? I mean come on, just look at them
Attachments
hqdefault.jpg
hqdefault.jpg (18.02 KiB) Viewed 735 times
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music". Aldous Huxley

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

New Shit

0dd

Post by 0dd »

Yeah with a shitload of supplements. Anyway I'm not on the where do you get your proteins from side, I just don't get the extreme ethics of veganism.
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music". Aldous Huxley

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

Lost to the Void wrote: Oh the hilarity of posting meat stuff to a vegan in a bout of original high humour.

Just think, one day some real dirty fucker is going stick his penis in your daughter's ass.
And she is going to beg for more.

Haha hehe etc
so your sense of humor is gone as soon as we heat the meat topic ?

Honestly man, I wouldn't even have mentioned the recipes if I had not come across Quincy Jones' rib recipe in the last week (which is why I added my favorite ribs recipe as well), and hell... it's Quincy Jones man... :)
A man who's lived a life like his, I'd always be interested in how he likes to cook,
no matter if the recipe was a meat dish and I'd be a veggie,
just like I enjoyed reading articles on Hitler's library doesn't mean I agree with the man's propaganda.
(I bought a book last month just because it contained a recipe Joseph Heller was once prepared to pay 10k for,
but his ex refused to sell it to him)

Regarding my daughter's future anal love life...
*big sigh*
I honestly don't even know what to say to this apart from I do a simple joke and you try to get back with whatever you think shocks me the most... :roll:
So suggesting a meat recipe from a world famous producer to a vegan is on the same level as suggesting to a dad his daughter will get butt-fucked some day and she'll love it ?
Hell man, if that day happens, and both parties agree, I'm pretty sure I have nothing to say about that shit.
8-)

Back when my mrs was a vegetarian and I used to cook 100% vegetarian for years,
one of my favorite jokes used to be "well, doesn't mean cause she's a veggie that she doesn't get some meat inside her mouth from time to time".
Sure, it was a shameless macho joke to make, but it was a tiny way to get revenge for me having to eat vegetarian for all these years. :)
Sin cambios no hay mariposa

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

0dd wrote:Yeah with a shitload of supplements. Anyway I'm not on the where do you get your proteins from side, I just don't get the extreme ethics of veganism.
I just like eating meat.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

and I sure as fuck would never want to look like that bodybuilder,
nor would I like to live on a diet and have a lifestyle as extreme as you need to have when you "want" to look even half as muscled as that guy...

having gone to a gym for far too many years,
having done all these extremely boring exercises,
being surrounded by a horde of narcissist cunts most of the time,
I can assure you that whoever that guy is, he didn't get to look like that because of what he ate,
his diet probably makes up for 10 to 15% of how he looks, if even that.
All the countless hours day after day after day makes him look the way he is.
I mean, even if he shoots up on steroids every day...
that shit still doesn't make him grow massive muscles all of a sudden unless he actually gets in there and puts in the hours, just like it doesn't mean because you get "fantastic" analog synth A or B or Z will guarantee you'll suddenly be making great tracks...

0dd

Post by 0dd »

Hades wrote:
0dd wrote:Yeah with a shitload of supplements. Anyway I'm not on the where do you get your proteins from side, I just don't get the extreme ethics of veganism.
I just like eating meat.
I wasn't pointing at you, I was replying to void's vegan bodybuilder. I know you can get all the nutrients without meat, hemp seeds for instance are insanely rich in proteins. I just don't get shit like not eating honey because it's the product of an insect/animal. Fuck's up with that?

SHIDZO
pregnant

Post by SHIDZO »

So when it comes to cooking I'm wearing the hat in the house. Good my missus won't read that, because she just can't cook. One day she tried, as a surprise... Some zucchini pancakes (basically wallpaper) and in the end the dogs wouldn't even eat it. So that's that. And I simply love cooking. I take hospitality very seriously.

Most of the time I'm dedicated to the Asian cuisine, we love stir-fries, the combination of meat and veggies with rice or noodles is great and probably twice a week we have a variety of something on the plates. Loving the hot sauce stuff, soy sauce, and coconut influenced sauces. Same goes for the Indian cuisine, we love that stuff.

This is a great community for recipes: https://www.chefkoch.de/rezepte/ - Get your lazy asses up and practice some German hehehe... Or use google translate...

Yesterday I made Mexican wraps. Mince, garlic, onions... Fried the shit.. Can of tomatoes, tomato paste and a Mexican spices mix from the shop and let it simmer for a bit and prepared a bit of salad, cucumber and tomatoes for the stuffing as well as a simple but great guacamole. A bit of cheese and sour cream, wrap the shit up in aluminium foil and enjoy. Was simple and great.

What also always goes is shit to be put in the oven, the other day I boiled some sweet potato, and fried mince, cut the potato, put it in a oven thing, mince on top, potatoes on top, a bit of cream & egg sauce, cheese, 45 min in the oven, delicious as fuck.

Anything that goes with potatoes is always a good idea. Yeah, meat, veggies and some carbs. Trying to go a bit healthier and sustainable during the week and smash cheat days on the week end. Balance, it's called balance.

Tonight I'll do a stir fry with chicken, red capsicum and broccoli. She fucking loves broccoli, honestly I could cook that every day and she wouldn't complain ever...

Tomorrow I wanna make Wiener Schnitzel (well Wiener "Art", which means chicken or pork instead of the real deal, which is lamb) and some fried potatoes and a good gravy.

Pretty hungry now tbh

SHIDZO
pregnant

Post by SHIDZO »

*In the restaurant*

Vegan to the waiter: "Hey, we're vegan, what can we get?"
Waiter: "The fuck out of here!"

over9000
Nor Crystal Tears

Post by over9000 »

ive had this whole food discussion so often in the place i lived before.
some mates are/were quite hardcore vegans and we always cooked vegan and i liked that.
i do think it can be healtier to be vegan.
though the whole vegan hype that happend 5 years ago was completley nuts..
i dont give a fuck what people eat or not tbh
its just people taking themselves to seriously and if you cant laugh about yourself, someone else will
(may the jokes be still so stupid)

SHIDZO
pregnant

Post by SHIDZO »

over9000 wrote:ive had this whole food discussion so often in the place i lived before.
some mates are/were quite hardcore vegans and we always cooked vegan and i liked that.
i do think it can be healtier to be vegan.
though the whole vegan hype that happend 5 years ago was completley nuts..
i dont give a fuck what people eat or not tbh
its just people taking themselves to seriously and if you cant laugh about yourself, someone else will
(may the jokes be still so stupid)
I lived with vegan hippies who tried to convince me that I harm the environment with consuming meat while they drove their 90's Toyota Hiace diesel to work every day which was a 10 min walk... The hypocritical thing is what annoys me. Other than that I'm on your side, eat whatever the fuck you want to eat. I don't wanna sound conspiratorial though, but in my opinion we don't even know what's in the organic shit you can buy at the shops anymore. Too much screwing over of consumers happening. And it's freaking expensive, which is fair enough though. Read an interesting article the other day, that basically we shouldn't tag our food as organic, it should be the other way around. For example "hormonized chicken" or "eggs from cage chickens" .. Organic should be the normal thing.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

No supplements, just a healthy vegan diet.

They aren`t extreme ethics at all.
They are just....normal ethics.

If you accept that animals are sentient and suffer (which we have plenty of evidence of) then there is nothing extreme about veganism.

Lets take the Dairy cow for example.

To produce milk a dairy cow must be pregnant, so the captive cow is taken to a device the farm industry calls The Rape Rack (look it up), the cow is then raped (or artificially inseminated if you want to use nice safe words) and impregnated with the sperm from a bull that was wanked off by a farmer.

Once the cow gives birth, the baby is stolen away by the farmer, to be taken to slaughter for veal production (happy birthday little cow). The cow will cry for days (there is plenty of footage of farms during "calving day" of the sound of screaming cows, en masse, calling out for their stolen children) in anguish, and try to find it`s child. Sometimes (there is footage of this) cows who have been through this a few times will attack the farmers to protect their children.

So now the cow has given birth it will produce milk for a given time, roughly around the amount of time it would if it still had a baby.

The milk is forcefully removed from the cow at speed with milking machines. These machines cause infections and sores, so the governments of the west have set an amount of puss that is allowed in to milk for human consumption (different levels of puss are allowed in the US compared to the EU). This puss is generally from sores. The cows are pumped full of antibiotics to try to stave off infection.

When the cow stops producing milk, it will be taken back to the rape rack and raped again.
This process will continue until the cow is literally physically incapable of producing milk any more, due to long term fatigue. At this point, the cow will be rewarded for it`s lifetime of slavery and suffering by being taken to slaughter.

All this so we can drink the milk meant for baby cows, or eat the coagulated milk. None of which we need to do for survival.

I won`t go in to any other practices of animal welfare, I don`t have the time, but you should get the point....

And you say to not want any part of this process is "extreme ethics"..
Hmmm, seems like basic ethics to me, to cause no unnecessary harm or suffering.
New Shit

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

SHIDZO wrote:*In the restaurant*

Vegan to the waiter: "Hey, we're vegan, what can we get?"
Waiter: "The fuck out of here!"
See that was actually funny.

New Shit

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

0dd wrote: I wasn't pointing at you, I was replying to void's vegan bodybuilder.
I know, don't worry. :)
I was just trying to say "hey, I couldn't give a flying fuck if meat had protein or not.
I just love eating meat, and that, for me, is more than enough reason not to become a vegetarian"... :mrgreen:

I do believe in trying to eat less meat but better quality.
Like my mrs was a vegetarian for 15 years, but she had to start eating meat ever since she almost bled to death when she gave birth to our oldest. But I swear she just loves total junk meat, the worse the quality, the more she likes it. That is something I really can't understand. It's one thing to crave for some shitty fast food once in a while, but always preferring junk meat to quality meat...
I guess it's her German nature shining through somehow... :lol:
0dd wrote: I just don't get shit like not eating honey because it's the product of an insect/animal. Fuck's up with that?
me neither. I get vegetarians (my mrs was only a vegetarian for ethical reasons), and I get people want to avoid stuff like dairy products (all 4 of us here have a lactose intolerance anyway), but vegan as a choice...
It's each to his/her own, I get that, I just don't get the philosophy behind choosing to be vegan.