New release techno shows

General Chat // Music Discussion
hoth system
Unfriended
New release techno shows

Post by hoth system »

Hey pop pickers. Are there any new release techno radio/podcast shows on at the moment which are anything like the Rinse FM ones which Surgeon and Truss did? I feel there is a gaping hole for such shows. Yes, I said 'gaping hole'.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt
Re: New release techno shows

Post by Lost to the Void »

Darkfloor is my tastemaking go to.
http://darkfloor.co.uk/mantisarchives/
Very professional, finger on the pulse and steps outside the walls of techno to related music.

Much more interesting than your usual guy mixes a bunch of shit together for an hour podcasts.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

hoth system
Unfriended

Post by hoth system »

Lost to the Void wrote:Darkfloor is my tastemaking go to.
Very professional, finger on the pulse and steps outside the walls of techno to related music.

Much more interesting than your usual guy mixes a bunch of shit together for an hour podcasts.
I love Darkfloor, always have (is Mantis on hiatus?). But I'm looking for shows playing just new released techno, as per topic title.

Den Bosch
brown envelope

Post by Den Bosch »

Sunil Sharpe does the Quarterly Crate show, it's on the youtubes. It's three hours of him playing and discussing records he picked up in the past three months, lots of new releases but also reissues and stuff. Usually discusses around 80 releases during the time. Also a great way to learn about the scene in general such as labels, people and other releases of the artists.

youtu.be/dZKjHyaRk04

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

hoth system wrote:

I love Darkfloor, always have (is Mantis on hiatus?). But I'm looking for shows playing just new released techno, as per topic title.

I dunno, just go to hardwax and click new releases?
New Shit

Leskey
non reader

Post by Leskey »

Lost to the Void wrote:I dunno, just go to hardwax and click new releases?
But that takes away all the fun from having somebody else, preferably some hip hipster, show you (and everyone else) all the hidden gems out there.

But yeah, check out all the techno release sites and put your back into it. Aint no other way I'm afraid.

Amøbe
Moderate

Post by Amøbe »

hoth system wrote:

In the latest episode it says in the description that it will return in start february

hoth system
Unfriended

Post by hoth system »

Den Bosch wrote:Sunil Sharpe does the Quarterly Crate show, it's on the youtubes. It's three hours of him playing and discussing records he picked up in the past three months, lots of new releases but also reissues and stuff. Usually discusses around 80 releases during the time. Also a great way to learn about the scene in general such as labels, people and other releases of the artists.
Yeah, I've seen Sunil's crate show. It's pretty cool and you're right - great for new releases. But I preferred the Rinse format where the tunes are mixed etc.
Leskey wrote:
Lost to the Void wrote:I dunno, just go to hardwax and click new releases?
But that takes away all the fun from having somebody else, preferably some hip hipster, show you (and everyone else) all the hidden gems out there.

But yeah, check out all the techno release sites and put your back into it. Aint no other way I'm afraid.
Surgeon and Truss hipsters? Did I miss a meeting? I don’t mind crate digging at all, but like I say, I just loved the old Rinse shows and was wondering if anyone knew of any similar current podcasts. I wish Rinse had got someone else in when Truss stopped doing it.

intrusav
Rolf Harris

Post by intrusav »

Don't think I've ever met Sunil but he's putting in the graft on all fronts. Proper Irish skin and fair play. Used to drop in to Waterford 10 ..

RWise
durchfall

Post by RWise »

Love sunils quarterly crate shows. Discovered a lot of great releases from them.
Dont take life so seriously :mrgreen:

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Truss meh, but the Surgeon since FM was great.
Shame he stopped DJing.
New Shit

chava
You only live once

Post by chava »

I would pay for a radio/podcast/show with an actual serious take on contemporary techno/electronic music, with someone competent curating that was not able to mix, but *more* important able to actually talk about the music. That is what is needed now. We are drowning in genereic dj-podcasts mixes with no context for the music played. And the supposedly valid critique of music on RA/Pitchfork whatever has dropped in quality to a significant degree, if not even degenerated into pure PC-virtue signalling feel-good pieces.

Kromasome
arsehole

Post by Kromasome »

Not sure why I didn't already know about this. Love the variety. Loving the dark ambient, heavy and industrial stuff.

Stace
Classical Approach

Post by Stace »

Darkfloor is amazing +1 for him and all he does :D

I always really enjoy the Deep Space Helsinki series. Deep, dark and awesome.

Jean Luc Cougar
quasi-public

Post by Jean Luc Cougar »

I thought I was up on all the new release shows, but there are some gems in here. Diving into Dark Floor now.

My faves:
Ben Sims - Run It Red on NTS https://soundcloud.com/ben-sims/sets/be ... n-it-red-1
Massive fan of Ben Sims as a DJ and producer so naturally love the show but it's very dope that he plays demos too.

First Floor on Red Bull Radio: https://www.redbullradio.com/shows/firs ... n-reynaldo
It's not ONLY techno, but I like that it's only new releases for that week - it's a cool way to get a taste of all the new records in one place.

timc3
Back Bling

Post by timc3 »

chava wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:31 am
I would pay for a radio/podcast/show with an actual serious take on contemporary techno/electronic music, with someone competent curating that was not able to mix, but *more* important able to actually talk about the music. That is what is needed now. We are drowning in genereic dj-podcasts mixes with no context for the music played. And the supposedly valid critique of music on RA/Pitchfork whatever has dropped in quality to a significant degree, if not even degenerated into pure PC-virtue signalling feel-good pieces.
Yeah, I am beginning to this the same because basically it would save me a huge amount of time. Digging around on forums, twitter, labels own websites, and then trying to find a copy on Spotify/Apple Music/SoundCloud/YouTube/Bandcamp takes time.

chava
You only live once

Post by chava »

timc3 wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:47 pm
chava wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:31 am
Yeah, I am beginning to this the same because basically it would save me a huge amount of time. Digging around on forums, twitter, labels own websites, and then trying to find a copy on Spotify/Apple Music/SoundCloud/YouTube/Bandcamp takes time.
Obviously overabundance of product plays a role, and the whole FOMO-thing. You have to consciously limit yourself to a certain amount of information sources otherwise you drown. But that's hard when all modern media paradoxically try to make us do the opposite: use media as networking nodes, be present on several platforms, cut down on content (let the users do that) and prioritize "features" instead. I am getting to the point where I miss the old physical music media.

s7ntax
pregnant

Post by s7ntax »

Process Manchester do a monthly show of new and good quality releases.

https://soundcloud.com/process-manchester