Thoughts about Psy-trance genres

General Chat // Music Discussion
Prophän
Back Bling
Thoughts about Psy-trance genres

Post by Prophän »

What do you think about it from a musical point of view ?

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt
Re: Thoughts about Psy-trance genres

Post by Lost to the Void »

Barely developed since I was in to it in the 90s.
People keep telling me oh no you need to hear "insert latest name for almost indistinguishable sub sub genre of pay trance" but it ends up sounding the same as shit I dug in the 90s. Dugga dugga or oompah basslines. Crappy kick drums, very simple percussion, noodling arpeggios, lots of filter sweeps, the odd half step or 6\8 breakdown.......

Would like to be shown something that deviates from this but, never happens.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

ozias_leduc
ANAL

Post by ozias_leduc »

/\ this

and the way it tries to dAzzlE and TrIp Me OuT with stupid, over simplistic and not at all clever sound effects is bloody obnoxious

whoaaa man trippyyyyyyyyyyy

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

I thought the most interesting thing that happened in Psy was when Psy-Breaks emerged.
Spearheaded by Digitalis, it was generally a bit weirder than typical psy.
It never really went anywhere as a sub genre though.

youtu.be/edmA9-Otx-s
New Shit

ZenoSupreme
arsehole

Post by ZenoSupreme »

I like them. it kinda sounds all the same to me (can't really seem to make a difference between the sub genres), but it's fine. Even been to a festival once; nice people, ok music and lots of acid and other psychedelic drugs... nothing to complain about :)

msl
║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█

Post by msl »

FUCK OFF
www.bernadettetrax.bandcamp.com
www.soundcloud.com/michaellovatt

“Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.” Dune

msl
║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█

Post by msl »

Seriously.

ok well I will say the people are usually the nicest and chilled out there, since they have the best acid :) I know a few and have played at such festivals, always a positive vibe. However the music is fucking horrendous and as Steve said has not progressed since 1994. That said in 1994 I did rather like it and had all the TIP releases. I forgot them all the back of a taxi in Athens in 1995 so that was the end of that.
www.bernadettetrax.bandcamp.com
www.soundcloud.com/michaellovatt

“Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.” Dune

Cloaked
hunger marcher

Post by Cloaked »

msl wrote:Seriously.

ok well I will say the people are usually the nicest and chilled out there, since they have the best acid :)
AKA the best frontal lobe lobotomies.

ZenoSupreme
arsehole

Post by ZenoSupreme »

AKA total bliss :ugeek:

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

msl wrote:Seriously.

ok well I will say the people are usually the nicest and chilled out there, since they have the best acid :) I know a few and have played at such festivals, always a positive vibe. However the music is fucking horrendous and as Steve said has not progressed since 1994. That said in 1994 I did rather like it and had all the TIP releases. I forgot them all the back of a taxi in Athens in 1995 so that was the end of that.
Psy parties are (I say are, not been since the 90`s), .....were loads of fun. Fleuro shit everwhere, boat loads of LSD, lasers, chai stalls etc etc.
Can`t say I ever really didn`t have a good time, but I was mostly tripping my balls off.

I`ll happily stroll around a fleuro`d up setup in a forest for an hour admiring the decor and lights with the missus going "ooh, pretty colours", but unless I`m on Fear and Loathing amounts of hallucinogens, I`m not going to stick around for the music, because it`s gone nowhere.
New Shit

RWise
durchfall

Post by RWise »

I can tolerate it to a certain extent but 95% of the track i hear sound exactly the same. Same rhythm, same bass synth patch, same clicky kick drum etc...

The one thing i like about it a lot is the parties. They look fucking mad. Im considering going to BOOM Festival in Portugal this year just because of how cool the atmosphere looks, but im very 50-50 as i dont know if my body and brain could handle a full festival of psy-trance...
Dont take life so seriously :mrgreen:

TomasHD
slipper

Post by TomasHD »

Yeah basically what everyone has already said, its quite simplistic and repetitive.
But I would say that some of the mix downs and sounds in general are very well made.

suppressor
Alf Garnett

Post by suppressor »

So i'm not sure if you guys have heard of Rainbow Serpent held in Victoria, Australia?
Its a combination of doof Techno and Psy-trance, the two actually go together pretty well.
Although i spend most of my time at the Techno stages there are always a few gem artists that manage to do something different.

I heard this track a few years ago and it really resonated with me because of the elements that were used.
Saying that, i never found anything that was as good as this and realised that 95% of psy is fucking terrible.

youtu.be/kgXfwRKJ9ao

The_G
Artificial Hazard

Post by The_G »

To each their own. It's not my place to judge other people's tastes or interests. And I enjoyed going to Escape from Samsara and the other one in London back in the '90s. But I never liked the music. As others have said, it all sounds the same. And, to me, the template is pretty corny to begin with.

As far as trance goes, I like some of the really old stuff, when it was a fast and hypnotic style of techno. And I like some mid-90s acid trance, which overlaps with psy/goa, but it's quite the same. Stuff like this:

youtu.be/TeU0kVTB6ZQ

But even that fatigues my ears after a while with all the "click-mmb, click-mmb, click-mmb, click-mmb" and the "nyer, n-ner, nye-n-nye-ner-na-ner..."

mainst09
Traits

Post by mainst09 »

Lost to the Void wrote:Barely developed since I was in to it in the 90s.
People keep telling me oh no you need to hear "insert latest name for almost indistinguishable sub sub genre of pay trance" but it ends up sounding the same as shit I dug in the 90s. Dugga dugga or oompah basslines. Crappy kick drums, very simple percussion, noodling arpeggios, lots of filter sweeps, the odd half step or 6\8 breakdown.......

Would like to be shown something that deviates from this but, never happens.
To say that psy-trance didnt evolve from the 90s is just speaking without knowing sorry because one of sub genres of psy trance darkpsy and that includes forest started in the 2000s and you have hitek that started long after that.

You may not like it at all but to say it didnt evolve is a joke. The thing with psy trance (the psy trance im talking about is darkpsy not that full one prog shit) it is hard to get into, it took me a lot of time until i started to enjoy it because the tracks are super "crowded". To say that psy trance is simplistic and repetitive is talking without listening properly, almost all of the darkpsy artists have their own sound you guys only say this kind of stuff because you don't listen enough time to understand what they're trying to do there you just can't listen to listen to 3 mins or like 1 track to say psy trance is repetitive, psy trance is way more advanced than techno they're not scared of trying new kinds of sounds even if it sounds super dark and stupid AND i would love to see a techno producer doing at least a darkpsy track i dare you, this guys take like 4,5 years to produce an album, it takes a long time and patience just to finish 1 track,

I admit that psy trance is really hard to listen to and appreciate but once you go through that initial phase you enter in a magical world, believe me that there is nothing like listening to some darkpsy with a great soundsystem.
It always surprise me how people who originally come from techno always say the same shit about psy trance when you should be the ones giving it some credit, Psy trance is in better shape than ever because now with computers they can do what the old guys dreamed of, this is what i think. I now will leave you some examples of what for me is Psy Trance and i repeat that Darkpsy is way different that all that commercial shit its like saying tech house or bumcode tracks are real techno.

My aim here is to show you that every artist in the darkpsy realm has is own style.

This 2 guys are two of my fav producers
youtu.be/uA8kQqvY4Uc

youtu.be/wSgD3PZA6lI

youtu.be/Tusg8yflUBM

youtu.be/TzGzmZRAbJ8

youtu.be/iTg1rdpBVLE

youtu.be/n1OI92rZz8o

youtu.be/CdAWGHLV5PU

youtu.be/jfHQ3JGBU_E

youtu.be/oseZeqmCu50

youtu.be/_78yZfVE55k
Voices From Cindy's Cunt

The_G
Artificial Hazard

Post by The_G »

Sorry dude, all that stuff just sounds really interchangeable to me. And not that different from what people were doing in the '90s.

...not that styles of techno are all that different. ll get repetitive and same-y after a while. I mean, is dub techno in 2018 much different from dub techno in 1995? In the end, it largely comes down to whether you like the template. In this case, I do not--and that means I'm not really interested enough to look for the subtle differences. So it just feels like I'm hearing the same song over and over again.

TomasHD
slipper

Post by TomasHD »

mainst09 it seems that you are into this darkpsy stuff and you know a bunch of artists and I respect your point, but tbh all the tracks you posted sounded the same to me. (Same structure, synth sequences, basslines, etc.)

mainst09
Traits

Post by mainst09 »

TomasHD wrote:mainst09 it seems that you are into this darkpsy stuff and you know a bunch of artists and I respect your point, but tbh all the tracks you posted sounded the same to me. (Same structure, synth sequences, basslines, etc.)

yes because the structure is supposed to be the same thats what you fail to understand, the key is how they use the sounds and when they use it, its seems like people don't want to understand the part of it seems like it sounds all the same but it isnt. like i said time is needed to understand this genre, i respect that people won't like this genre but to say it sounds the same it is simply not true sorry.
Voices From Cindy's Cunt

mainst09
Traits

Post by mainst09 »

Can't people just pass all this genres differences and try to understand music? maybe its me but its hard for me not to like a track when its well done,this is not all just the same shit this is so fucking well done, all the synths connect in some way but the tracks are faster simple as that, this is supposed to have like a "train" bassline and the synth sounds working for your mind to expand, this is what it feels like to me.
Voices From Cindy's Cunt

quest
will fuck for food

Post by quest »

For me, somewhat ironically in retrospect, I was really into a subgenre called techtrance that was only really around in the late 90s and early 00s, it was very very techno influenced and the tracks all had quite a bit unique about them. Artists include X-Dream, Spirallianz, Midimiliz, The Delta, some Wizzy Noise, and quite a few others.

But tbh I noticed the same thing happening some people already mentioned, after that the styles seemed to converge on the full on and dark sound and everyone was really using the same techniques again and again...

Now all these years later I'm trying to find new stuff that's really unique but it is like looking for a needle in a haystack. I'm still pretty influenced by the old techtrance sound in my own techno but I just can't seem to take any new influences in from the genre.