Thoughts about Psy-trance genres

General Chat // Music Discussion
intrusav
Rolf Harris
Re: Thoughts about Psy-trance genres

Post by intrusav »

Actually, someone might link me to discogs. All I remember was it was a compilation called goa trance and it was a white cassette with black label on it...from what I can remember...

jordanneke
subsekt
subsekt

Post by jordanneke »

intrusav wrote:Wtf, you gave up a plot in a communal garden...
Ha ha I don't know how promiscuous she was, but that's a nice way of saying it.

intrusav
Rolf Harris

Post by intrusav »

jordanneke wrote:
intrusav wrote:Wtf, you gave up a plot in a communal garden...
Ha ha I don't know how promiscuous she was, but that's a nice way of saying it.
Hahaha! ..

s7ntax
pregnant

Post by s7ntax »

Lost to the Void wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:18 pm
You don`t try to work outside of genre...
You just make music.
Literally all the great original music is this.
And you will fail a lot until something works.
If you are just geared towards nothing but results then staying within genre, or copying as I call it, is where you are left.
IT`s worth trying even if only to fail.

I hate how short sited techno people can be sometimes.
This is why so much new techno around these days, especially on the likes of Beatport, self released stuff is just diluted techno of yesteryear, not enough people have the bottle or ideas to just make music and not allow themselves to be tied by genres or copy other people. The best artists that stand out for me, such as James Ruskin, Rob Hood, Basic Channel, Regis, Surgeon etc. All those have their own signature sound in a way but they always sound different, like I can tell a Ruskin track instantly, but all his music has been so different over the years, they just make music that pleases them, they obviously are very talented which is why they consistently make such good music, but they don't seem to allow themselves to be cornered into a genre, they just make music and then the consumers pigeonhole it.

As for all sub genres of trance, I've never been a fan but there are some tracks that still stand out or evoke a memory from when I was younger and just discovering drugs and electronic music, stuff like Drax - Amphetamine, old Trance track but with some elements of techno, it just takes me right back to when I was a nipper taking acid in fields with friends and mixing with crusty dog on string folk.

youtu.be/WNT4TFkbggQ

s7ntax
pregnant

Post by s7ntax »

EB227253-5986-4F9D-992C-5A9248D2DBFA.jpeg
EB227253-5986-4F9D-992C-5A9248D2DBFA.jpeg (54.45 KiB) Viewed 671 times

CRDM
hmmmmmm...

Post by CRDM »

haha that is excellent - looks like something Roland would put out

chava
You only live once

Post by chava »

Lost to the Void wrote:
You don`t try to work outside of genre...
You just make music.
Literally all the great original music is this.
And you will fail a lot until something works.
If you are just geared towards nothing but results then staying within genre, or copying as I call it, is where you are left.
IT`s worth trying even if only to fail.

I hate how short sited techno people can be sometimes.
Everybody uses genre as a framework otherwise you get lost very quickly. Very, very few people are able to constantly renew themselves and also somewhat create new (sub)genres. This also not something you can learn, it is inborn although being fatherless seems to "help" in fact.

Within techno I can hardly think more than a handful that even master different subgenres without just rehashing cliches.

Amøbe
Moderate

Post by Amøbe »

chava wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:47 am
Lost to the Void wrote:
Everybody uses genre as a framework otherwise you get lost very quickly. Very, very few people are able to constantly renew themselves and also somewhat create new (sub)genres. This also not something you can learn, it is inborn although being fatherless seems to "help" in fact.
That is a very bizarre statement.

chava
You only live once

Post by chava »

Amøbe wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:14 am
chava wrote:
Lost to the Void wrote:
Okay, it was stated a bit bizarrely, I must admit.

Anyways, creativity is highly biologically grounded and also heritable, but does nit account for everything of course. Regarding fatherlessness and creative achievement there's a paper titled the Leonardo effect which decribes this connection.

Amøbe
Moderate

Post by Amøbe »

chava wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:46 am
Amøbe wrote:
chava wrote:

Anyways, creativity is highly biologically grounded and also heritable, but does nit account for everything of course. Regarding fatherlessness and creative achievement there's a paper titled the Leonardo effect which decribes this connection.
erm... no it is not.

chava
You only live once

Post by chava »

Amøbe wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:33 pm
chava wrote:
Amøbe wrote:

erm... no it is not.
So you say, but there's lots of science done that shows the opposite.

Amøbe
Moderate

Post by Amøbe »

chava wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:44 pm
Amøbe wrote:
chava wrote:

erm... no it is not.
I must say that I have read a vast amount of science that proves otherwise.

chava
You only live once

Post by chava »

Amøbe wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:45 pm
chava wrote:
Amøbe wrote:

erm... no it is not.
Do you really believe anyone can learn to be creative? That strikes me as somewhat naive unless you are defining creativity very broadly. Creativity is highly correlated with the trait "openness to experience" which again is highly biologically predicated, maybe the highest of the five personally traits in the OCEAN model. It is also correlated with schizophrenia by the way, a condition which there is pretty high consensus about is genetically determined to a great degree.

Amøbe
Moderate

Post by Amøbe »

chava wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:06 pm
Amøbe wrote:
chava wrote:

Do you really believe anyone can learn to be creative? That strikes me as somewhat naive unless you are defining creativity very broadly. Creativity is highly correlated with the trait "openness to experience" which again is highly biologically predicated, maybe the highest of the five personally traits in the OCEAN model. It is also correlated with schizophrenia by the way, a condition which there is pretty high consensus about is genetically determined to a great degree.
I think you should put those Jordan Peterson books down.

Creativity is highly cultivated. You talk waaaaay too much into the myth of the struggling/starving-artist, in which all creativity is just madness channeled through an artist.

with that said, it is true (and maybe this is some of the science you reference?) that there is a lot of artists, who struggle with different mental states, which we tend to define as a bit "out there". But the conclusions that I have heard from this is just that a lot of these dudes/duderinos tend to produce a lot of art, somewhat as a therapeutic process - this then leads to their creative side being cultivated.

There are so many examples of spacy succesful artists who are very sane and come from homes and families, which by no means are broken.

Amøbe
Moderate

Post by Amøbe »

By the way I like that track in your signature!

chava
You only live once

Post by chava »

Amøbe wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:14 pm
chava wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:06 pm
Amøbe wrote:

There are so many examples of spacy succesful artists who are very sane and come from homes and families, which by no means are broken.
Obviously. The biological overrules experiences of trauma in this case, but there is something to be said for a traumatic experience triggering a need for restructuring one's perception through creative work.

Jordan Peterson did not invent OCEAN. That's s widely used model also outside of psychology.

chava
You only live once

Post by chava »

Anyways....Here is a acceptable proto psytrance track:

youtu.be/9_fJBReoetA