What's on the walls in your studio / music space?

General Chat // Music Discussion
terryfalafel
Component
What's on the walls in your studio / music space?

Post by terryfalafel »

Hello Subsekters

I'm finally going to decorate (short term) and acoustically treat (mid term) my music room this year.

I'm quite shit at picking nice wall colours, and quite picky when it comes to picking nice artwork for the walls, so I need some advice / tips / inspiration in both these areas.

What colour did you paint your studio or music space?

Got any tips for artwork / photos or other cool stuff to go on the walls? I am open to spending some money on stuff I really like, though not silly money.

Cheers!

winston
unsure
Re: What's on the walls in your studio / music space?

Post by winston »

birds in the scud

Revaron
reverse genius

Post by Revaron »

Mine looks like this all over:

It's not particularly inspiring, but it's not particularly distracting either, so I'm ok with it. There are various posters on the walls to break it up a bit though, almost all Sci-Fi or futurist related stuff, dominated by classic/pulp/golden era styles with a bit of Bladerunner in the mix. I've been meaning to get some of my astrophotography printed, and that will complete it.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

The mastering room is covered in diffusers and limp mass membrane tuners covered with natural unbleached fibre cloth.
So it's all whites and beiges. Not hugely interesting, looks kind of minimalist sci fi.

Production room is off white with one "feature" wall painted blue.
One wall has 2 large hands emerging from it, they are actually guitar hooks clasping 2 of my guitars, and in-between there is a large skull with a clock in its forhead (all the numbers go anti clockwise and the clock runs backwards). It looks pretty cool, like a demon is emerging from the wall with guitars.
Behind the outboard gear is currently plain white, but I have a massive Death Star sticker I am going to put on the wall there.
I was thinking of filling the rest of the wall space with 12" vinyl frames containing all my releases. Not sure yet. The room is essentially unfinished. Still have to do sound treatment and get some more shelving up.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

winston
unsure

Post by winston »

Revaron wrote:Mine looks like this all over:

It's not particularly inspiring, but it's not particularly distracting either, so I'm ok with it. There are various posters on the walls to break it up a bit though, almost all Sci-Fi or futurist related stuff, dominated by classic/pulp/golden era styles with a bit of Bladerunner in the mix. I've been meaning to get some of my astrophotography printed, and that will complete it.
i like that type of wood. i've seen some great looking and nice feeling rooms around asia which have that either on one wall or all the walls. usually it is a bit lighter and not the yellowy colour in your picture or the stuff in b&q. it is kind of relaxing and not as plain as a stark all white wall a la a gallery

pimo
rescued

Post by pimo »

We painted the whole studio black, exept the floor. There is 4 big, white, vpr panels on the walls and a big white cloud above the mix space. I like it, but i wont paint the next studio black, maybe grey. Spending to long time in a black room wears me out!

Den Bosch
brown envelope

Post by Den Bosch »

I actually have a huge poster of Kanye West smiling down on me. Please don't ban me for this...

Also have a big ass Persian rug on the floor. That stuff costs close to zero at IKEA and looks great.

Mono-xID
Uumfääng

Post by Mono-xID »

A poster of THE DEAD BOYS. That's it....
http://soundcloud.com/monoxid

Behringer = ARTS label of synths

SHIDZO
pregnant

Post by SHIDZO »

We don't want to put anything on the walls because we don't really want to make ourselves a proper home we love. We are trying to leave Germany by the end of 2018 and I can't deal with any huzzle aka stuffing holes when we move out, however, I have a massive (and I'm talking massively massive) map of Berlin I want to put on the wall but haven't found a frame yet. I love maps. So whenever one of you cunts feel generous: send me a map. Thanks, SHIDZO out.

terryfalafel
Component

Post by terryfalafel »

Thanks for the input everyone.

Winston - good idea but I'm saving my vintage Sam Fox calendars for the living room.

White / cream / beige for the walls is the obvious choice cos it looks clean and neat and it's a good blank canvas, but that's how I've painted most of the rest of the house so it'd be nice to do something a bit more interesting.

Maybe a light colour for the walls, and then some bright fabric for the floor to ceiling superchunks I'm planning on building.

I saw these the other day that I thought could be quite good for the walls. All a bit Jeff Mills / space cadet but I like the old school draughtsman type style of them.

Root
BANNED

Post by Root »

Nice pics, i'd go for the red and blue one. My room is painted white as well. Just for the simple reason that i can add pictures, furniture or whatever with drastic colors. Like this I can change colors when I want to, what wouldn't be possible with painted walls so easily..
:geek:

winston
unsure

Post by winston »

terryfalafel wrote:Thanks for the input everyone.

Winston - good idea but I'm saving my vintage Sam Fox calendars for the living room.

White / cream / beige for the walls is the obvious choice cos it looks clean and neat and it's a good blank canvas, but that's how I've painted most of the rest of the house so it'd be nice to do something a bit more interesting.

Maybe a light colour for the walls, and then some bright fabric for the floor to ceiling superchunks I'm planning on building.

I saw these the other day that I thought could be quite good for the walls. All a bit Jeff Mills / space cadet but I like the old school draughtsman type style of them.

they're pretty cool pictures, they'd look good good in any room.
you can have sam fox on your decks too.

ZenoSupreme
arsehole

Post by ZenoSupreme »

painted white, with a canvas of the flyer from my first gig (made by my best bud who also DJ'd on that gig) and a canvas of Winnie the Pooh hugging with his friends.... behind me there is a drawing of the Eifel tower.

only thing I am missing is a big whiteboard to write on.

over9000
Nor Crystal Tears

Post by over9000 »

i live in a commune, i dont have my own room lol
but a "studio" :D
there i have gems and animal skulls and my mates cello and guitar on the walls

terryfalafel
Component

Post by terryfalafel »

winston wrote: you can have sam fox on your decks too.
Good shout. Can't go wrong with any bits on Voluptuous Vinyl...

Will Frances
Gnasher

Post by Will Frances »

I work in this room...

I have grey Fabri-trak with beech skirtings and a large double diffuser on back wall. I like the room it sounds great, its not as home-ly as your rooms though im sure. (not supposed to have personal items on show)

Runley
Interact. Don't Spam.

Post by Runley »

terryfalafel wrote:Thanks for the input everyone.

I like these images a lot, especially the blue one. How big are they?
Let's check out the great effects of these fat burners for women together.

msl
║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█

Post by msl »

9 DIY broadband absorbers, my first vinyl release in a frame, and these 2 posters.

www.bernadettetrax.bandcamp.com
www.soundcloud.com/michaellovatt

“Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.” Dune

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

msl wrote:9 DIY broadband absorbers, my first vinyl release in a frame, and these 2 posters.

so you finally hung them up, huh ?
(unless you're in a different room since last time I was there)

also, I could be wrong, but I don't remember seeing those 2 posters.
I do think I remember seeing some poster from Blow-up by Antonioni, no ?
Sin cambios no hay mariposa

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

terryfalafel wrote: White / cream / beige for the walls is the obvious choice cos it looks clean and neat and it's a good blank canvas, but that's how I've painted most of the rest of the house so it'd be nice to do something a bit more interesting.
I got 2 walls (the one I'm facing and the one behind me) in a color called "electric blue",
which I absolutely love, and which somehow seemed appropriate for a room full of synths.
The other two I did in a color called "goat cheese", which seemed a good idea as some form of broken white, but which didn't turn out half as nice as I expected.
Both colors are from Colora, so shouldn't be very hard to find in Holland since it's a Dutch company afaik...

I hung up some commedia dell'arte masks, the 3 face mask I have as a pic on my SC page is just one of them. I used to have one on each monitor, but they just started trembling too much, so I had to move them.

Then I bought that book Jeff Mills released when Axis was like 25 years old or something.
Expensive coffee table book, but I just cut up the whole book and used some cheap Ikea frames and hung it up between my acoustic panels.
Let me try and take some pics...
Sin cambios no hay mariposa