What's on the walls in your studio / music space?

General Chat // Music Discussion
Hades
Shit Eater
Re: What's on the walls in your studio / music space?

Post by Hades »

main mask above the wall I'm facing (looks a lot smaller on the pic because I have high ceilings)

Last edited by Hades on Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sin cambios no hay mariposa

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

some of the frames I still need to hang up, on the floor of my studio :

and some of the frames between my acoustic panels :

edit : tried some smaller sized pics

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

I'm busy making new acoustic panels anyway,
so I have no idea where I'm gonna hang those frames later,
but I do like them.
I mean, I am not a huge fan of Mills, I only have a handful of his releases anyway,
but I do think the book has wonderful artwork in there,
and the pics fit a "techno" studio pretty well, so to say...

There's also some ex libra from comics on there as well,
and an unfinished painting from my deceased sister, and an old pic from when I was a kid.
and I hope I can find a spot for 2 rather big ex libri from Roodhaar and Jessica Blandy as well,
but yeah, acoustic panels on the right places have a higher priority than artwork. :)

However, I think this is an important question.
So many people discuss their gear, but I do like to think making a room with the right atmosphere helps you getting into a more creative drive.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

here's a pic from my back wall...
Obviously, those little tiles will get replaced because they do fuck all for my acoustics,
but they did serve me well for hanging up all kinds of stuff my kids made
(and yeah, they do feel proud when daddy hangs up their stuff in "his" music room :) )

some close-ups from the same wall,
with some more frames (not all from the Mills book though),
some pics of my all-time favorite actress (Katherine Hepburn),
some old origami models, and the wonderful Jim Jarmusch quote :

Will Frances
Gnasher

Post by Will Frances »

Nice (music-man) cave Hades. Its funny how your music (to me anyway) corrolates quite directly to your room decor!

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

Will Frances wrote:Nice (music-man) cave Hades. Its funny how your music (to me anyway) corrolates quite directly to your room decor!
To me, if this wasn't my studio and wasn't me posting but reading/seeing these posts, it would have been quite odd if the artwork on my walls was totally opposite to the music I'd be making.
I'd like to believe there is a direct interaction between the artwork on my walls and the music that I make.

I mean, I can only hope there is some form of consistency in my taste in books/music/artwork/... as there is in my musical output. Or does that somehow sound arrogant to say ? :)

Btw Will, not sure why, but the pic of your studio doesn't load up.
Any way you could reload it somehow ?
Perhaps just use a different hosting site ?
(I had to upload all these pics just for this topic as well)

Will Frances
Gnasher

Post by Will Frances »

I mean yeah good point, It just struck me how ive never had my personal stuff up around me becasue all the rooms ive worked in have been places of business clean, client ready, quite soiul less actually!

https://image.ibb.co/kCJKPG/image1.jpg

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

Will Frances wrote:I mean yeah good point, It just struck me how ive never had my personal stuff up around me becasue all the rooms ive worked in have been places of business clean, client ready, quite soiul less actually!

so the above image is the one that is personal or business clean ?
I would presume it's the business clean one, but I'd still like to ask upfront. :)

I remember when I was still working and living 2 weeks a month in Mainz.
We were sharing an apartment with about 4 co-workers a week.
I never hung up anything on those walls, even though I stayed there for about 2,5 years.
Whenever people asked me why, I just referred to that scene at the start of Interview With A Vampire,
where Christian Slater asks Louis (Brad Pitt) : "is this where you live ?"
and Louis says "no, it's just a room"
That was exactly how I felt about that place at the time.
The only proof of my own personality in that apartment were the books and films I took with me for just one more week of dispatching...

I guess it should go without saying that I feel totally different about my own studio in my own house. :)

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Here`s the mastering room.
It`s out of date actually, the Octagon Audio custom valve monobloc amps have gone, and have been replaced by QUAD QSP Elites (which happen to look more fitting, as they are black blocks, next to the black monolith GE Triton Speakers) and the ultra wide monitor has been replaced by a big ass 50inch screen (to save me squinting).
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

Will Frances
Gnasher

Post by Will Frances »

Hades wrote:
Will Frances wrote:I mean yeah good point, It just struck me how ive never had my personal stuff up around me becasue all the rooms ive worked in have been places of business clean, client ready, quite soiul less actually!

"no, it's just a room"

Ha ha I share sentiment with that. 15 years ago I had all the logic short cuts on my wall. 'im going to master this program!' ahh the young kid with dreams...

I dont have a personal 'room' at home to be honest now, london life- space is overrated and priced. Esp with kids ;-)

Will Frances
Gnasher

Post by Will Frances »

Nice room, in your roof void, Void. ha ha. Looks quie minimal and of decent size.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Will Frances wrote:Nice room, in your roof void, Void. ha ha. Looks quie minimal and of decent size.
Yeah it`s very comfortable, I have the entire loft, so yeah it`s a very good size, about 12 x 18 interior space after we put in the room within a room, nice big couch to sit on, no desk, low level wheeled racks all below siteline to the sound, nothing between me and the speakers, Katz style mastering room.
It`s a genuine pleasure to sit up here and just listen to music.
I`m going to put some stuff on the rear wall though, as it is a little bit clinical in here, some pictures or something.
New Shit

Will Frances
Gnasher

Post by Will Frances »

Im building a room within a room for somones Voice booth in march should be nice little project. Fabri trak walls and a window through to the control room. Havnt worked out the specifics of the ceiling and floor yet though

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Brrr, it`s not something I want to do again in a hurry, floating the floor up here was a nightmare, and getting all the gyproc boards up here too. Not my idea of fun.
New Shit

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

I'm already getting nervous thinking about the fact that I gotta do the measurements again.

A few weeks ago, I just started the measuring, and because I had to plug and unplug a few cables at the back of my sound card, I accidentally unplugged the power cable of one of my monitors while doing the sound card cables...
so yeah, I was in total panic for like 5 minutes, thinking that once again, one of my monitors was broken,
just at the moment 2 people from subsekt were coming over, and I was almost certain that even my tech would not be ready to repair this asap with the stupid holiday shit coming up...

After I found out my stupid mistake, I instantly decided to postpone the measurements for a few weeks...

Next week however...

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

I know it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever to even fear something as easy as that,
but I had so much shit breaking down in the past year, that I got almost superstitious or something...

terryfalafel
Component

Post by terryfalafel »

msl - Those posters are nice. I have a feeling I've seen the same style but referencing different tracks somewhere else. Cool.

Hades - thanks for the breakdown :-) interetsing to get your in depth perspective on things.

LTTV - nice space. That's kind of the default of how I imagine such a space to look, and that's not a criticism; it looks professional. OT., but how does it measure with all those sloping ceilings? Was it hard to treat because of that?

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

terryfalafel wrote:msl - Those posters are nice. I have a feeling I've seen the same style but referencing different tracks somewhere else. Cool.

Hades - thanks for the breakdown :-) interetsing to get your in depth perspective on things.

LTTV - nice space. That's kind of the default of how I imagine such a space to look, and that's not a criticism; it looks professional. OT., but how does it measure with all those sloping ceilings? Was it hard to treat because of that?
Well, the more irregular the room the better, so it wasn`t so hard to treat, but it was built from scratch so we had the chance of building out any main issues.
With advice from an acoustician we worked out little tweaks, so the 2 angled walls are actually slightly different, the one on the right is a slightly wider angle, and comes down lower than the left, and all the plaster panels are acoustic plaster, there are resonating panels in sections of wall.
The ceiling slopes up towards the back of the room which helps throw bad reflections behind the sweet spot.
So once we got the speakers in, empty, the room was pretty good off the bat for low end.
The room was a little lively, but I brought that down with diffusers and then fine tuned with limp membrane panels (the hessian wrapped stuff on the walls), and there is cloud above the seating position.
There` a huge 4 seater sofa in here too (it`s the main seating) which really kills everything dead at the listening position.
One of the many reasons I chose the speakers I have in there is that they run ribbon tweaters on the top end, which have a narrow vertical dispersion, also helpful for this room.

So yeah, it`s pretty good, as good as any mastering room I`ve sat in, I might add a touch more diffusion as I have moved the speakers a little and it has changed the characteristics at the listening spot, but minor tweaks come over time as you chase perfection, apparently. The speakers are now 5ft4 from the listening spot.
I mean it was a lot of work, and it cost a lot of money, haha, so I`m not wishing to do this again for some time.
If we do move and I do build another room, I most definitely won`t do it in a loft space.
Getting those speakers up here was a fucking nightmare of epic proportions.
New Shit

WOLF!
Grand

Post by WOLF! »

Hades wrote:I'm already getting nervous thinking about the fact that I gotta do the measurements again.
Agh that nice frustrating job when you feel like a lab rat :D.
I remember those endless sweeps coming from REW; and all the hours I needed to look at graphs over and over again.

Very curious about the panels!
It's the best time of the year now to make them in these windy times at Belgistan (and I don't mean those beer farts eh Hades).

WOLF!
Grand

Post by WOLF! »

DIY acoustic treatment and a painting I got from my girlfriend.
Attachments
studio2018.JPG
studio2018.JPG (103.09 KiB) Viewed 936 times