Should I add spikes on my monitor stands?

General Chat // Music Discussion
ZenoSupreme
arsehole
Should I add spikes on my monitor stands?

Post by ZenoSupreme »

Been hearing different perspectives on this topic... Some say it does wonders, others say it's just another gimmick with no real acoustic value.

I want to build my own stands, and I'm thinking about getting some spikes on them, but I really dont want to trouble myself for a placeo effect...

Any of you got experience with this? Do u guys have spikes on your stands?

any pros/cons? Let me know!

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt
Re: Should I add spikes on my monitor stands?

Post by Lost to the Void »

Spikes are bullshit, as are monitor isolator stands etc. at least in acoustic terms, they do nothing to the sound.
The science don't lie.
http://ethanwiner.com/speaker_isolation.htm

However spikes will poke through a thick carpet to stop your stand from moving, but so will rubber feet...
Essentially, you don't need em.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

ZenoSupreme
arsehole

Post by ZenoSupreme »

Great! Tnx! Rubber pads it is then :)

Root
BANNED

Post by Root »

Better invest in that cheapo behringer measurement mic and measure like 100 times with small changes in your monitor placement. Then go for the best position. Check rew room wizard freeware for this. I've done it last year and definately should have done it five years ago. There's a lot of threads here about room acoustics that are really worth reading.
:geek:

gtsm
fake

Post by gtsm »

Root wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 8:42 pm
Better invest in that cheapo behringer measurement mic and measure like 100 times with small changes in your monitor placement. Then go for the best position. Check rew room wizard freeware for this. I've done it last year and definately should have done it five years ago. There's a lot of threads here about room acoustics that are really worth reading.
I am seriously thinking about getting a measurement mic. Does any brand work? Or does each of them need brand-specific software so it's better to buy a bundle?

Root
BANNED

Post by Root »

For your standard home recording setup in a bedroom you can go with a cheap measurement mic and rew-room wizard, i guess. I've got that superlux mic, even cheaper than behringer and it worked perfectly to help me rearrange my room and check where the best monitor position is.
:geek:

WOLF!
Grand

Post by WOLF! »

Great tip about measuring and searching for the best placing of the monitors.
I can tell you that monitor placement is important and does make a difference!
I honestly must tell you that I didn't know anything about acoustic measurement but I got some help from a acoustic (studio) engineer that I know.
First starting point was to set up the speakers so that you create the equilateral triangle monitor position as perfect as possible.
Measurements are made in small steps of 10 cm until you reach the center of the room.
So for you first measurement you start of with the back of the speakers at 10 cm from the wall.
Next measurement at 20 cm; next at 30 cm (yeah you know what I mean) until you reach the center of the room.
Of course always rebuilding the equilateral triangle.
Then analyze and search for the best results as a good starting point for further acoustic treatment.

Also read the manual of you monitors; most off them already mention some placement tips and guidelines.

I've bought a measurement microphone with guidance of my acoustic engineer. It's a calibrated one so it has a calibration file that you can load into the measuring software. In my case I used REW; great program and it's free.
If you want I'll check which measurement microphone I've bought.

I think everyone who invested in nice monitors (in your budget range of course; I'm on cheap Genelec 8030a's) and is looking for better sound should do these measurement... .

WOLF!
Grand

Post by WOLF! »

Daytonaudio EMM-6 was the measurement microphone.

terryfalafel
Component

Post by terryfalafel »

timc3
Back Bling

Post by timc3 »

What Lost to the Void said, but to add - just make sure that your speakers are stable and are on something solid that is in the right position because why the hell put them on something unstable, that they called fall off of.