Building a Studio !

General Chat // Music Discussion
MeTeK
Interact. Don't Spam.
Building a Studio !

Post by MeTeK »

Hello guys,

I am really happy to make this topic. Because in some months I will build my very first studio. Why i call it "studio" and not "home studio" ? Because it will not be in my house, finally :D !

After more than 4 years in a home studio (dedicated room in my flat or house) I really want to have a dedicated place to make music.

So right now, i have 3 jobs at the same time and moved in Spain, so I can put some money on the side (life is cheeper here). And I am working on headphones ... :roll: !

I found a garage in my home town in France who is 25m2. I will not need all this space for sure. But the owner is okay, and i will be able to do the studio here for a cheap price (around 150e per month).

I will update this topic with some pictures, idea etc ... And also usefull link if some peoples want to follow my way.

I have some question, what will be for you the perfect dimensions for a studio ? I mean I know that the ceiling height can have an impact on the sound for example.

Also should I go for a studio of 10m2 ? Maybe less ?

Thanks for your help.

borg
Lifer
Re: Building a Studio !

Post by borg »

10 m²? How important is bass for you? This is a techno forum, so I reckon a lot! Bass needs space! Subtract the space between outer walls and your inner shell, width of this shell,... Be happy with the 25 m² and use it all.

If this all new to you, starting 'in some months' sounds quite optimistic. Investigating, designing and planning will take 90% of your time. Building is just 10%.
Andy
the lunatics are in the hall...

terryfalafel
Component

Post by terryfalafel »

At the risk of sounding like a stuck record....

Register on the JohnLSayers forum and read, read, read. Then ask some questions, be sure to follow their guidelines about posting, and be prepared to wait a bit for a reply.

The reward will be getting advice from a professional studio designer, normally Stuart (soundman2020) in the forum section you will be posting in.

I didn't pay a great deal of attention to this next point as my (home) space is 12m², but I recall vaguely that his advice was always that a control room should be 20m² minimum, if that area is available.

Good luck. Take photos :-)

http://www.johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=2

ZenoSupreme
arsehole

Post by ZenoSupreme »

Good for you!! going from a home studio to a dedicated place outside ur home can give a nice rush!!

I have about 30m2 to work with. It's nice. Have a very basic setup in it, but it's starting to get crowded already... you'll see things start getting tight really quick when you bring in equipment... :)

Also, I like to have some space around me so I can walk around while listening to the music I make (hate staring at my screen all the time...), to come up for ideas. I also work with different people, so they also need space if we are there together (especially when some carry instruments or some want to wright lyrics or whatever)

25m2 doesnt sound to much at all if you ask me. Try to think ahead, It's not what you need right now, it's also what you might need in the future (perhaps you want to rent you studio for recordings, or invite people over to jam with, etc.).

Good luck and hang on as long as possible to that feeling of owning a studio ;)

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Once you start with sound treatment the space starts dissapear.
You are gonna want all of the 25m2
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

Martin
clown

Post by Martin »

If you post some measurements and info about the existing construction its more possible to give some advice. Also, do you need more soundisolation, or do you only want help with the room acoustics?