Help me build a portfolio

General Chat // Music Discussion
Monreal
You only live once
Help me build a portfolio

Post by Monreal »

I need one but I have no idea how to make one for my music. Care to help me and show me a direction, possibly couple themes so I can edit/personalize them, or be kind enough enough show me yours?

Plyphon
endless
Re: Help me build a portfolio

Post by Plyphon »

What's the goal / field?

For example, FX sound design in film, or live production sound engineering, etc...

Monreal
You only live once

Post by Monreal »

It's for nothing like that. I wanna apply for a freelancer visa and one of the documents they ask for is a portfolio. Probably consider as a CV in a conventional work field.

Plyphon
endless

Post by Plyphon »

Some more details would be great.. but Googling around 'Freelancer Visa' seems to suggest it's an Artists Visa for Germany as that's the only result that comes up as far as I can see.

https://medium.com/@imcatnoone/how-to-g ... a68b39431a
6. Portfolio
Whether you work as a writer or in a digital field, this work should be printed and presented in a professional manner. They won’t be checking out your awesome new website.

https://co-germany.de/the-artist-visa/
First of all: Having a portfolio is nice, but don’t invest too much work into it. Nobody will judge the artistic quality of your work.

What is most important, is your CV and letters of intent from potential clients or collaboration partners (job offers). List all projects you’ve ever done or participated in, no matter if you got paid for them or not. This could be exhibitions, movie shoots, shows, book projects, publications and so on. List all types of formal education you went through like universities, art school, as well as short courses you might have done. I can’t stress that enough: Have a very elaborate CV and have someone look over it.

http://www.estherka.com/2010/08/first-t ... -visa.html
For the portfolio, I had full color photos of my recent installations and drawings in a plastic binder ready to show, along with a few prepared DVDs.

----

I'd just take a screen shot of your soundcloud and social pages (if any) as well as any of your music for sale anywhere, plus a CD/DVD of some banging techno.

Sounds like it's simply to prove your case of who you say to be, not prove you are a worthy artist by any metric.

Monreal
You only live once

Post by Monreal »

Yes that's the one I'm willing to apply next year. Right now I'm working on my Berlin based connections (mostly labels). I've never even prepared a CV in my life before so I don't know how to showcase my work without looking pretentious.

Mono-xID
Uumfääng

Post by Mono-xID »

Monreal wrote:Yes that's the one I'm willing to apply next year. Right now I'm working on my Berlin based connections (mostly labels). I've never even prepared a CV in my life before so I don't know how to showcase my work without looking pretentious.
good luck on finding a flat for a reasonable price.....it's beyond stupid since a few years....
http://soundcloud.com/monoxid

Behringer = ARTS label of synths

NAO
Suspect Handshake

Post by NAO »

Mono-xID wrote:
Monreal wrote:Yes that's the one I'm willing to apply next year. Right now I'm working on my Berlin based connections (mostly labels). I've never even prepared a CV in my life before so I don't know how to showcase my work without looking pretentious.
good luck on finding a flat for a reasonable price.....it's beyond stupid since a few years....
WG?

Mono-xID
Uumfääng

Post by Mono-xID »

NAO wrote:
WG?
[/quote]

It's an option but you have to consider the risk of having complete cunts as your room mates. And even rooms in WG's are overpriced as fuck.

With good research and lots of luck you CAN find a flat for a reasonable price. But it's nearly impossible now in the hip districts.

I mean, I live in Schöneberg's north district and it's a somewhat sketchy area. The red light district is round the corner and my street is considered as one of the most dangerous streets in Berlin. Street name was in the newspaper a lot because of wars between Arabian gangs,stabbings, people getting ripped off by the young stick-up kids etc.

Nobody wanted to live there and everyone I tell where I live is like: "what? really? You really living there?"

But nowadays, as soon as there is a free flat, you'll see 50 hipster cuntz trying to visit/getting the flat.
http://soundcloud.com/monoxid

Behringer = ARTS label of synths