Doepfer Dark Energy 2 - Analogue Kicks?

General Chat // Music Discussion
SHIDZO
pregnant
Doepfer Dark Energy 2 - Analogue Kicks?

Post by SHIDZO »

So I was at the music store today... the 5 floors flagship store with all the gear. I mean: ALL THE GEAR!

On my way out I grabbed a copy of their new catalogue and had a quick read through and came across that little Doepfer gadget. To me it looks like I would be able to make some nice analogue kicks with it. I would like that. I had a play with the Tanzbär MFB at the store which I didn't like that much. Did not like the Roland TR 09/TR 08 either...

Anyway, long story short: Is that the one I'm looking for or is there another secret weapon out there in that (price) class I'm not aware of? Would like to hear your opinions.

It's Christmas soon and that would be a perfect gift from my missus, my parents, my sister and myself.

Thanks!

Resin
Pig
Re: Doepfer Dark Energy 2 - Analogue Kicks?

Post by Resin »

You could definitely make some kick sounds with it (for example env->vcf and than crank up the resonance). However, the kicks yo get from a basic modular won't be mind blowing, especially without further processing. That said, the DE is a nice synth even though I'd get a mkI which sounds remarkably better.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Volka kick is apparently pretty bad ass, if just making analog kicks is your thing
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

SHIDZO
pregnant

Post by SHIDZO »

Resin wrote:You could definitely make some kick sounds with it (for example env->vcf and than crank up the resonance). However, the kicks yo get from a basic modular won't be mind blowing, especially without further processing. That said, the DE is a nice synth even though I'd get a mkI which sounds remarkably better.
Thanks for the input. Doesn't have to be mind blowing, would do that with further processing. I'm after that analogue sound.. What's your reason to get the model before the mk2?

SHIDZO
pregnant

Post by SHIDZO »

Lost to the Void wrote:Volka kick is apparently pretty bad ass, if just making analog kicks is your thing
Holy cow, that little fucker was NOT on my radar... And it's half the price! Had a listen to the samples and they do sound pretty bad ass if you ask me... Thanks man! Definitely looking into that! Probably ending up back at the shop tomorrow and comparing these two. That shop... It's like a playground for adult boys... You can press any button you want...

Resin
Pig

Post by Resin »

SHIDZO wrote:
Resin wrote:You could definitely make some kick sounds with it (for example env->vcf and than crank up the resonance). However, the kicks yo get from a basic modular won't be mind blowing, especially without further processing. That said, the DE is a nice synth even though I'd get a mkI which sounds remarkably better.
Thanks for the input. Doesn't have to be mind blowing, would do that with further processing. I'm after that analogue sound.. What's your reason to get the model before the mk2?
The mkI is based on a Curtis chip which went out of production. Therefore Doepfer had to redesign the circuit, which is why there's a mkII in the first place. I prefer the sound of the mkI, even though I don't think the mkII version is bad.

terly
arsehole

Post by terly »

Mk1 user here and yeah you can get some flubby kicks with it but it’s not ideal. Great monosynth though.

The_G
Artificial Hazard

Post by The_G »

Lost to the Void wrote:Volka kick is apparently pretty bad ass, if just making analog kicks is your thing
I've seen some pretty impressive stuff made on just Volcas chained together--a kick, a sample, a bass and an FM, plus a couple effects pedals.

Mono-xID
Uumfääng

Post by Mono-xID »

So you just discovered Just Music store at Moritzplatz ??? :lol:
http://soundcloud.com/monoxid

Behringer = ARTS label of synths

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

The_G wrote:
I've seen some pretty impressive stuff made on just Volcas chained together--a kick, a sample, a bass and an FM, plus a couple effects pedals.

The sound of the volcas is fine, you just have to put up with toytown size.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

SHIDZO
pregnant

Post by SHIDZO »

Mono-xID wrote:So you just discovered Just Music store at Moritzplatz ??? :lol:
I've actually been there quite a few times before but it's just always so mind blowing and special to me :D

I'm not really into ordering stuff and waiting let alone relying on fucking DHL...

SHIDZO
pregnant

Post by SHIDZO »

terly wrote:Mk1 user here and yeah you can get some flubby kicks with it but it’s not ideal. Great monosynth though.
Hmmm ideal is subjective but it makes me thinking. I just don't wanna spend money on something I'm not really happy with in the end...