Sync licensing

General Chat // Music Discussion
The_G
Artificial Hazard
Sync licensing

Post by The_G »

Someone recommended to me that I look into sync licensing for my synthwave music, as it's kind of "in" right now for games and TV. But I don't know shit about sync licensing...who is reputable, how it works, what I need to do, etc.

Anyone here have experience and want to help out a guy who feels lost?

RWise
durchfall
Re: Sync licensing

Post by RWise »

Well theres a lot of Library Music companies who churn out this stuff like no tomorrow. With a lot of them you can probably just shoot them an email explaining that youre a composer and send them some material and if they like it then they might publish it.

Ive released a lot of throw away stuff to library music companies in the past for a little pocket change in my PRS invoices.

However, theres a difference between a library music company that sell music compilations online and a 'proper' Sync music publishing company. A proper music publishing company usually only work with specific artists and dont release any music online to anyone. You work closely with the publisher and they will usually give you briefs for specific campaigns, whether it be a TV advert, movie soundtrack etc. This is where the big bucks is at.

But its not as easy getting signed to a publishing company. You have to be a really good and versatile producer/composer and I dont think a lot of good publishing companies take on unsolicited demos. Not saying you cant give it a shot...

But for synth wavey stuff, id recommend looking at some library music companies.
Dont take life so seriously :mrgreen:

msl
║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█

Post by msl »

I made some money decent with Jingle Punks back when they were non-exclusive. See if they'll take your music if your happy with exclusive. Rumblefish are one of the big names but very picky, they refused me.
www.bernadettetrax.bandcamp.com
www.soundcloud.com/michaellovatt

“Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.” Dune

terryfalafel
Component

Post by terryfalafel »

msl wrote:. Rumblefish are one of the big names
That's one of the most extraordinarily cunty websites I've seen.

Fair play if you can get ahead with them, but the continuous monetize monetize MONETIZE message on the website is just horrible.