Is it wrong that I liked a Dumbcode?

General Chat // Music Discussion
dubdub
Asphyxiwank
Re: Is it wrong that I liked a Dumbcode?

Post by dubdub »

chava wrote:The beginning of Bumload was the beginning to the end of techno for me. I can't think of any label having such a negative influence. Of course there was also Primate Recordings.
If anything, Purpose Maker is one of the worst things that ever happened to techno. A single label that spawned thousands of ripoffs for over a decade, Bumload and Primate themselves were obviously hugely influenced by PM. And even the label itself is a bit overrated IMO, obviously there are absolute classics like Kat Moda but especially some of the later ones are seriously ehhhh. Funny thing, I didn't know this until a friend of mine told me recently but apparently a lot of the early PMs were straight up ripped from DJ Nature records, he didn't even sample the disco/funk loops himself.

Shitting on Bumload is of course fun but the label has been garbage for so long that I fail to see the point :lol: I mean, seriously, listen to some of the stuff they put out during the mnml era, it makes the current records sound like absolute master pieces.

IMO all the best Sellout records were collaborations anyways.

youtu.be/qBnWT9D0AQY

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

Lost to the Void wrote:Sellout himself was pretty good in the early years.

His first album, Protechtion was pretty good, he clearly was ripping off/paying homage/influence to some spanish and birmingham stuff, but it was a good album. Compare it to the pop muck he does now.....
Everyone sells out in the end I suppose.

youtu.be/YGB6UdMupr8
not that I care that much, but that track was from his 3rd album, not his first. ;)

personally, the only tracks I ever heard from that guy that I ever liked were always remixes, but those tracks were few and far between... :)
Sin cambios no hay mariposa

[wesellboxes]
Q33 NY

Post by [wesellboxes] »

dubdub wrote:I mean, seriously, listen to some of the stuff they put out during the mnml era, it makes the current records sound like absolute master pieces.
"Indulge me, I want to see a negative"

Got any examples of what you think is rubbish? Not a loaded question, I just want to see if any of it is better or worse than other minimal tracks of the era.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Hades wrote:
Lost to the Void wrote:Sellout himself was pretty good in the early years.

His first album, Protechtion was pretty good, he clearly was ripping off/paying homage/influence to some spanish and birmingham stuff, but it was a good album. Compare it to the pop muck he does now.....
Everyone sells out in the end I suppose.

youtu.be/YGB6UdMupr8
not that I care that much, but that track was from his 3rd album, not his first. ;)

personally, the only tracks I ever heard from that guy that I ever liked were always remixes, but those tracks were few and far between... :)

It was his first album on drum code, I meant to say
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

terryfalafel
Component

Post by terryfalafel »

Lost to the Void wrote:.

His first album, Protechtion was pretty good.

youtu.be/YGB6UdMupr8
Yes!

This!

youtu.be/SH0ONqhge5M

terly
arsehole

Post by terly »

Mattias wrote:
The_G wrote: Though speaking of, this (on Svek) is probably my favorite Adam Sellout track from the 90s:

youtu.be/pjq666lMOpA

Yes this is by far the best piece of music Adam have done. Very few seems to know it. It's sort of a hidden gem for some reason.
Too bad it's pitched down a bit in this video.
In my opinion a lot of people know this track, I didn't learn about it until maybe 2013 but I believe Nina Kraviz has been playing it a lot since then.

terly
arsehole

Post by terly »

Glad this thread is appreciative of the better parts of Bumload and Adam Sellout's output. To stay relevant for so long is a feat, and although I am sad that there are only a few conceiled project tracks, I understand how it can be impossible to recreate the energy of your old stuff

as for contemporary Bumload stuff, I have lots of friends who play it and I am pretty open to their sets. I personally don't really play any of it, although there are some good tracks once in a while. I was playing it when tech house and minimal techno were the cool thing at the time, some Adam Sellout tracks around 2007-2008, but in all honesty I had just started djing and didn't know much good music yet, and basically relied on the infinite mediocre, super clean stuff that was coming out, or rather getting dumped on everyone in the form of promos. glad I've lost all my old hard drives of promos I got around that time to be honest, and that I've forgotten most of the artists and don't seek out their music anymore (a lot of those people make "proper" techno now which is slightly cooler than tech house I guess)

TheBinaryMind
pregnant

Post by TheBinaryMind »

As others stated, Bumload was quality stuff back in the days and I've got quite some records of that period. I think that musically they never really recovered from the minimal era. They never really turned to the kind of minimal DJ's like Marco Carola converted to, but there wasn't an anti-statement. However, when it comes to fan base etc. they seem to be on top of their stuff, so they must be doing something right :) The DC releases aren't for me anymore, though.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

They simply chased the money, lowest common denonominator shit.
New Shit

The_G
Artificial Hazard

Post by The_G »

Mattias wrote:
The_G wrote:Actually I was a big fan of Svek, especially when their releases split between house and mid-tempo techno (and before it was a straight up house label). Always loved this one as well (by Jesper Dahlbäck):
Svek is one of the most important record labels for me personally. One of the very best there ever was.
And yeah, everything from The Persuader is gold.
From 1996-1999 I think I bought every Svek release. Some incredible records, house and techno.

I was a huge fan of the stuff Cari Lekebusch recording as Mr. James Barth. It was his normal mid/late 90s sound but more playful and quirky. He's another guy who got really boring after 2000. But I really dug his stuff at that time. Like:

youtu.be/A8Pjlwr2W5E

The_G
Artificial Hazard

Post by The_G »

Matthias, this is another one of my favorite Svek records...well on the chill/house edge of the label's output. But just a great tune.

youtu.be/eZT7m3SpcuI

[wesellboxes]
Q33 NY

Post by [wesellboxes] »

The_G wrote:From 1996-1999 I think I bought every Svek release. Some incredible records, house and techno.
Loved the label at the time too, along with Nuphonic, Paper Recordings, DiY Discs, Drop etc. Great era for house.

Mattias
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mattias »

The_G wrote:
Mattias wrote:
The_G wrote:Actually I was a big fan of Svek, especially when their releases split between house and mid-tempo techno (and before it was a straight up house label). Always loved this one as well (by Jesper Dahlbäck):
Svek is one of the most important record labels for me personally. One of the very best there ever was.
And yeah, everything from The Persuader is gold.
From 1996-1999 I think I bought every Svek release. Some incredible records, house and techno.

I was a huge fan of the stuff Cari Lekebusch recording as Mr. James Barth. It was his normal mid/late 90s sound but more playful and quirky. He's another guy who got really boring after 2000. But I really dug his stuff at that time. Like:

youtu.be/A8Pjlwr2W5E
The_G wrote:Matthias, this is another one of my favorite Svek records...well on the chill/house edge of the label's output. But just a great tune.

youtu.be/eZT7m3SpcuI
Brilliant music for sure. My favorite My James Barth is "Hold still".
Music Page: http://www.facebook.com/Mattias.Fridell.Music
Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/fridell
Sample packs: http://mfsamples.bandcamp.com

Contention / 005

TimBuys
happy bastard

Post by TimBuys »

Glad that hear all of you don't hate Bumload. When I first joined the group I thought everyone legit hated the label.

When I got into techno about 4-5 years ago I was definitely drawn to the sound. Heavy bass sounds... huge sounding percussion. If you think about it when you go to festivals it's hard to hear all the subtle details and nuances. It's not hard to see why the label is so popular.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Oh Bumload has been bag a shite for years now, make no mistake.
It was good though, we are all talking about when it was good, not the rancid cock dribble it does now.
New Shit

TimBuys
happy bastard

Post by TimBuys »

Ah, yes. The good old days. When the female skirts were long and the Molly was still good.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

For Bumload.....yes, you are correct.

It's not all bad though, as a label it functions as a good beacon for the bro's n hoes, keeping them happy and sedated and away from the rest of us.

It's also a good mix check.

If you listen to the music you are making and it sounds like Bumload, that tells you that you are no longer making techno, and it is time to make appropriate mix adjustments. And also to stop wearing sunglasses at night and saying "bro".
New Shit

TimBuys
happy bastard

Post by TimBuys »

I was just having a bit of a laugh ;) Bumload is hardly my favorite label and I can see why people find their sound generic. At the same time I personally never give much attention to things I don't care about.

I merely meant to say that it's quite logical why people that are new to techno are attracted to their sound- and not just the br0s and h0s.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Well it's easy listening, that's why it appeals to people that are new to dance music.
No alarms and no surprises.
Same reason pop music is popular.
Well, I mean it IS pop music really.

It does serve a purpose, tech house is a gateway to techno in some ways.
New Shit

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Ooh ooh.
Time to list the Bumload jokes.

What's the difference between techno and pop music?
Bumload.

How many bro's does it take to change a techno?
Bumload

What do you get if you take techno and remove all the techno?
Bumload

What happens when you feed drum machines nothing but a diet of processed cheese, chicken mcnuggets and non alcoholic beer?
Bumload, but with more flavour.

What do you get when you teach your mum to make dance music?
Bumload, only slightly more exciting and less predictable.

What do you get when you splice together the DNA of Calvin Harris and Justine Bieber?
Bumload, but made with more wit and intellect.

Once upon a time there was a happy techno walking down the road. But one day it got dragged into an alley, force fed ecstacy and rohypnol, and raped for 8 hours straight by Elton John and the Village People. What happened next?
Bumload, but at least being raped had more substance.
New Shit