Properties of Different Frequencies *incoherent, confused ramble*

General Chat // Music Discussion
Stace
Classical Approach
Properties of Different Frequencies *incoherent, confused ramble*

Post by Stace »

I'm not really sure how to articulate this but I'll give it a go.

For a long time, I've been really interested in the potential idea and notion that specific frequencies can have beneficial properties, with a view to somehow incorporating that into music.
I know Youtube is rammed full of videos along the lines of 57387hz, THE ANGEL FREQUENCY and such like, which I don't think is really what I am getting at. Delta Waves are meant to be soothing and relaxing but I think what I'm looking for is more than just that.

There was an interview with DVS1 where he mentioned the way that sand moves when on top of a speaker and the different shapes it forms depending on what was playing and how music must do something similar to us (I probably need to go back and watch again) That's really as close as I've ever got to someone who's considered a similar thing to my wishy washy notion and halfbaked idea.

I was recently talking about this to a Sound Therapist who also makes experimental music and she'd never really considered putting any of the sounds from her therapeutic instruments (I don't know what they are) into her actual music with the view of it healing in some way.
That's kind of what I want to do. I think.

Anyways, I don't really know what I'm trying to ask other than has anyone got any ideas where I could actually look to research this? If anyone is going to know, it's gonna be you lot :)

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt
Re: Properties of Different Frequencies *incoherent, confused ramble*

Post by Lost to the Void »

I spent the first few years of the Voidloss project experimenting with psychoacoustics and acoustic effects.
I read loads of stuff about sounds weapons and frequencies that effect mood (with proven science, no woo involved).
I was also using neurolinguistics, hyponosis (interrupts mainly, which I still use in music sometimes) in vocals and gematria and all sorts of occult weirdness and incorporating it into music.

Generally the stuff that actually does have any effect tends to be subsonsics and infrasound as it can penetrate the body.

Most of the other stuff is total bullshit.

The majority of the information I got was through newsgroups (remember them) and sort of darkweb, but I`m sure 13 years later this stuff is probably much easier to find.

I would imagine separating the woo from the science is probably more tricky now though, as there are so many woo sites it`s unreal.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

ZenoSupreme
arsehole

Post by ZenoSupreme »

you can try to search for studies through google scolar. That way you can always check the source.

jordanneke
subsekt
subsekt

Post by jordanneke »

The sand thing is a standard highschool physics experiment. It's pretty amazing though, you can see the different standing waves ( i think) when the frequency is changed. Kids love it. You can do the same with slime.

I'm pretty sure though that it's just bass that literally make you move, and perhaps make you puke. Having played around with signal generators in front of classes of children, I can attest that there are certain frequencies that have an immediate negative effect. Babies crying and screaming comes to mind too.

Ben Kohonays
Eclipsed

Post by Ben Kohonays »

As Steve said, there's probably a lot of wading through shit to find the gems to be done, but it's an interesting field.

The nazi's supposedly experimented with using sound as a weapon but had to give it up as they couldn't control it enough to be useful (and lost a couple of machine operators in the process apparently).
They also famously played dissonant tones right before Adolf's speeches, which was cut off when he appeared, giving a sense of relief/upliftment which the observer would associate with him.

I realise those examples aren't quite in the area you want to explore, but it's all physiology of sound.

There's been a lot of stuff emerging in the last couple of years in regards to therapeutic use, improving memory/intelligence/mood etc. and a lot of it seems to be converged around 'binaural beats' or 'binaural tones', I can't speak to the efficiency or usefulness of any of it - I haven't looked into it in any depth or tried it personally.
The premise revolves around the idea when you hear two tones one in each ear and they have a different frequency, your brain creates a phantom tone at the difference of the two frequencies, so in effect you hear three tones. It is said to have a similar mental effect as meditation.

I remember having a night out a couple of years ago and ending up in a shitty club playing not very interesting (to me) music. They had large speakers at the side of the dance floor and given that the music wasn't inducing me to dance, I decided to lean against the speakers for something interesting to do. The bass was very strong, and it was a bit like using one of those massage chairs with the power ramped up. I did somehow feel like I had benefitted from doing it.

If amongst your research you discover the brown note or the blue note do let us know.
0dd wrote: Gotta love the subsekt derail ethic.

pupps
GET A FUCKING AVATAR!!

Post by pupps »

Maybe you already happened to read them, but I m joining some links here

this one is quite exhaustive:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4010966/

this one a bit more easy to read:
https://www.sixsenseshealing.com/articl ... -your-life

I am obsessed with AI and i believe its an amazing technology to improve our quality of living, in general but reading this made me think that it would be amazing especially to develop these sound therapy practices

its the only relevant article i have found about it:
https://futurism.com/theres-an-ai-thats ... n-function

AI is already extremely advanced in therapy (better than a human therapists), can analyze someones voice, tone, face expressions, heart beats, blood pressure and the list is endless... So I can imagine that adapting to what they see on a subject, they could generate some sounds that will respond to that individual. It will be an amazing tool to help electronic producers to build their tracks, educate academic musicians (on what healing properties has each instrument, on how they trigger a certain emotion etc.) and even inspire individuals to introspect and consider that their choice of music tells a lot about their needs, and them.

Do you guys know or think anything more about that?

Stace
Classical Approach

Post by Stace »

Thanks everyone for the input, I'm sorry I've been so shit at replying to this.

My lack of replying does not mean that I not been still looking into this :)

I've been speaking to a couple of Sound Healers, I may have mentioned before.

I've actually become very friendly with one of them who lives in Sheffield too. We went for dinner and she also makes music outside of her healing - ah, yeah, I mentioned this back in November but we went for dinner and we just didn't stop taking. It was SO interesting listening to a small amount of what she has been learning, putting into practice and generally working with.

One of the things she's been doing is sacred dimming, inducing trance states from a really beautiful drum she owns. I think the optimal BPM was something along the lines of 240 BPM. I attended one of her events and she did that solidly for 20 minutes, I don't think I entered a trance state but there was a shift in me and I felt it for the next few days after.

In my Yoga teacher training, we're going to spend 3 hours looking at Om as a sound and vibration (432hz) and how the different sounds that it makes can clear different things within your body.

I found this awesome person based out of LA, she doesn't work with frequency as much, she works with elemental qualities of imbalance/ balance and how that can be expressed and relayed with sound and tempo.

https://open.spotify.com/album/6xIO74fA ... hO6s3DDrpw

There's an excellent episode of Art+Technolgy+Music with her in.

So, yeah, I'm basically no further forward and I'm sure there's things that I've missed here but I guess it's about the journey, right? :)

Ben Kohonays
Eclipsed

Post by Ben Kohonays »

I forgot to mention in my earlier post about the tuning thing.

You've probably already come across this if you've been looking into frequencies, but I'll put it here anyway.

Standard tuning in the west uses 440Hz for middle A on the piano, which enables pieces of music to sound the same when played by different people in different places if everybody is using the same tuning.

There is a school of thought that says 432Hz is more natural, more pleasing on the ear and can even help physically, mentally and spiritually. (There are adherents to other tunings too)

There is a rabbithole of conspiracy and the like surrounding how and why we ended up with 440Hz, a quick google will bring up plenty of info, I'm not going there.
0dd wrote: Gotta love the subsekt derail ethic.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Stace wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:10 pm
Thanks everyone for the input, I'm sorry I've been so shit at replying to this.

My lack of replying does not mean that I not been still looking into this :)

I've been speaking to a couple of Sound Healers, I may have mentioned before.

I've actually become very friendly with one of them who lives in Sheffield too. We went for dinner and she also makes music outside of her healing - ah, yeah, I mentioned this back in November but we went for dinner and we just didn't stop taking. It was SO interesting listening to a small amount of what she has been learning, putting into practice and generally working with.

One of the things she's been doing is sacred dimming, inducing trance states from a really beautiful drum she owns. I think the optimal BPM was something along the lines of 240 BPM. I attended one of her events and she did that solidly for 20 minutes, I don't think I entered a trance state but there was a shift in me and I felt it for the next few days after.

In my Yoga teacher training, we're going to spend 3 hours looking at Om as a sound and vibration (432hz) and how the different sounds that it makes can clear different things within your body.

I found this awesome person based out of LA, she doesn't work with frequency as much, she works with elemental qualities of imbalance/ balance and how that can be expressed and relayed with sound and tempo.

https://open.spotify.com/album/6xIO74fA ... hO6s3DDrpw

There's an excellent episode of Art+Technolgy+Music with her in.

So, yeah, I'm basically no further forward and I'm sure there's things that I've missed here but I guess it's about the journey, right? :)
I think with stuff like 432 and Om, it`s kinda both bullshit and true.

It`s not the frequency that makes the difference, it`s the focus (or unfocus if you really want to get Tantric about it), and the mindset (or again, lack of "mind").
You can get the same effect with ANY frequency. But when your focused intent is directed by being told "this is for healing" then that is what you are focused on.

If you were to say, focus on 250hz but were told "this is for relaxation, or creativity, or whatever" then that is what you would/could get from it.
The intent and the focus is key. At least that is what I have learned from my years in the occult, that led me to Buddhist practices, Tantra and eventually Dzogchen, which is the highest level of Buddhism (so to speak). Dzogchen tends to cut through the bullshit (some Dzogchen practice is literally called cutting through) and focus on the practical mechanics of enlightenment.
But the teachings there, though hardcore, focus on....... focus. Specific mindforms for specific purposes. It works too, even scientifically proved now.
But I am digressing.

I think frequency, on these terms, is a red herring. It`s a cipher. YOU provide the desired result, frequencies, different mantras etc, are all just ways to focus your unfocus. Placebos that work basically.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.