Why don't girls like techno?

General Chat // Music Discussion
rmac
broke
Why don't girls like techno?

Post by rmac »

Every techno event I go to the male to female ratio is extreme. I don't care really as I am always more interested in the music anyway. But women just don't seem to get/enjoy techno to the same level as guys and am just wondering why or any theories?

Obviously there are MANY exceptions to that rule as there are always girls, but I think most on here would agree that they are very few in techno clubs / events.

I don't know whether its because women prefer to follow a more mainstream crowd that ain't into techno?

Or maybe they don't get the chance to enjoy it as they get creeped out by loads of guys dancing like robots running at 4x speed on mdma/speed. So they are too busy worrying about their own safety to even hear and get into the music?

Or is it because on some gut biological level women just don't get it for some reason? OR something else?

Anyway bored at work here and interested in any thoughts.

rktic
Utter Cunt
Re: Why don't girls like techno?

Post by rktic »

No matter what I'm trying to reply, it's either funny or stupid. Mainly because I don't "get" sexism as a concept in the first place. So I'll spare you folks my attempts and would love to hear some female thoughts on the matter.

chava
You only live once

Post by chava »

No need to worry, the gender equity feminists will soon impose 50/50 gender quotas on your local techno club. Problem solved.

Sorry, couldn't help it.

WCO4
Interact. Don't Spam.

Post by WCO4 »

IDK there are a fair amount of girls in Detroit who enjoy good techno but I know what you mean, I guess pop culture is so much implemented in many girls minds that they tend to either go towards the deep house / house good vibes or the hip hop sorta poppy stuff, I think with some forms of Techno its similar to Metal, and that dark, abrasive vibe seems to attract more men, but I definitely try to expose as many of my female friends as I can to dark techno and they usually seem to dig it, but they will usually admit to liking deep house more. I always tell my female friends that they should dj & the world needs more female techno djs haha
Last edited by WCO4 on Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

winston
unsure

Post by winston »

chava wrote:No need to worry, the gender equity feminists will soon impose 50/50 gender quotas on your local techno club. Problem solved.

Sorry, couldn't help it.
50/50 gender quotas implies there are only 2 genders. you need to take a look at yourself mate (assuming you are not schizophrenic or suffering from multiple-personality disorder, in which case you should take a look at one of your selfs).

gender is a spectrum so there can be no quota because then you would making people fit into your own ideas of what gender is instead of allowing them to self-identify and living how they want.

or some fucking bullshit like that.

Stace
Classical Approach

Post by Stace »

rmac wrote:Every techno event I go to the male to female ratio is extreme.
Which clubs are you going to? As a female there has only been one club, one time where I have really noticed a high male to female ratio and that was the battery room in Tresor.
I go out to techno nights regularly and have a really good insight as to who goes to techno nights. I know plenty of people who put nights on, DJs, promotors and producers.
You are perpetuating a really old idea that electronic music is just for men. In all my life, I don't feel the scales are disproportionally balanced when it comes to gender ratio in clubs.
rmac wrote: I don't care really as I am always more interested in the music anyway.

Are you sure? Seems like a weird thing to post if you are into music as much are you say you are.
rmac wrote: But women just don't seem to get/enjoy techno to the same level as guys and am just wondering why or any theories?

Yes, they are more than likely keeping their distance from you.
rmac wrote: Obviously there are MANY exceptions to that rule as there are always girls, but I think most on here would agree that they are very few in techno clubs / events.

You just contradicted yourself here.
You are more than likely scaring them away with your attitude/ going to the wrong clubs/ don't know what girls look like / too wasted to distinguish a woman.
I have just got back from a festival that has an exact half and half male to female split and there was boatloads of techno being played and loads of female DJs playing. The festival sold out and there was no issue hitting the female quota.
rmac wrote: I don't know whether its because women prefer to follow a more mainstream crowd that ain't into techno?

:lol: Just because you don't see females at clubs when you go out doesn't meant they are not going to other clubs.
rmac wrote: Or maybe they don't get the chance to enjoy it as they get creeped out by loads of guys dancing like robots running at 4x speed on mdma/speed. So they are too busy worrying about their own safety to even hear and get into the music?

The only place I would worry about my own safety would a Ritzy, mainstream club night. We don't care about what anyone else is doing and in most cases, we go harder and longer than the guys we are out with.
rmac wrote:Or is it because on some gut biological level women just don't get it for some reason? OR something else?

I would really like you to expand on how you think biology to do with ANY kind of personality trait.
rmac wrote:Anyway bored at work here and interested in any thoughts.

Yes, you should get back to work.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Girls are stupid and icky.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

Mattias
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mattias »

Over the last 5-6 years at clubs, raves and festivals I've been playing at the ratio been pretty damn equal. Hell knows if ladies probably represent more then half of the crowd at the places I've played at in the Netherlands. Women generally look more happy and appears to party harder as well. Dudes are more like fist pumping and bouncing a bit back and forth
Music Page: http://www.facebook.com/Mattias.Fridell.Music
Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/fridell
Sample packs: http://mfsamples.bandcamp.com

Contention / 005

chava
You only live once

Post by chava »

StacieAnne wrote:
rmac wrote:Or is it because on some gut biological level women just don't get it for some reason? OR something else?

I would really like you to expand on how you think biology to do with ANY kind of personality trait.
This is well established scientifically. Personality traits have an heritable component and some are quite highly, like neuroticism and openness (creativity/intelligence).

Stace
Classical Approach

Post by Stace »

chava wrote:
StacieAnne wrote:

This is well established scientifically. Personality traits have an heritable component and some are quite highly, like neuroticism and openness (creativity/intelligence).
Show me some papers/ research that proves this is the case as I am lead to strongly believe otherwise.

Scientists tried to find something to prove that was the case but were unable to last time I looked into it.

terryfalafel
Component

Post by terryfalafel »

Mattias wrote:Over the last 5-6 years at clubs, raves and festivals I've been playing at the ratio been pretty damn equal. Hell knows if ladies probably represent more then half of the crowd at the places I've played at in the Netherlands. Women generally look more happy and appears to party harder as well. Dudes are more like fist pumping and bouncing a bit back and forth
Yep, definitely a pretty equal split in all nights I go to in Amsterdam.

SixOfOne
non reader

Post by SixOfOne »

rmac wrote: I don't care really as I am always more interested in the music anyway.
Then why would you make a topic about it and not about music?

Any club I've been to in recent years has had an even mix.

rmac
broke

Post by rmac »

StacieAnne wrote: Which clubs are you going to? As a female there has only been one club, one time where I have really noticed a high male to female ratio and that was the battery room in Tresor.
I go out to techno nights regularly and have a really good insight as to who goes to techno nights. I know plenty of people who put nights on, DJs, promotors and producers.
You are perpetuating a really old idea that electronic music is just for men. In all my life, I don't feel the scales are dis proportionally balanced when it comes to gender ratio in clubs.

Are you sure? Seems like a weird thing to post if you are into music as much are you say you are.

Yes, they are more than likely keeping their distance from you.

You just contradicted yourself here.
You are more than likely scaring them away with your attitude/ going to the wrong clubs/ don't know what girls look like / too wasted to distinguish a woman.
I have just got back from a festival that has an exact half and half male to female split and there was boatloads of techno being played and loads of female DJs playing. The festival sold out and there was no issue hitting the female quota.

:lol: Just because you don't see females at clubs when you go out doesn't meant they are not going to other clubs.

The only place I would worry about my own safety would a Ritzy, mainstream club night. We don't care about what anyone else is doing and in most cases, we go harder and longer than the guys we are out with.

Yes, you should get back to work.
Hey I didn't mean it as bad as it perhaps came across - but I like a bit of discussion so am just chill gonna reply to you without meaning to be condescending or anything like that - my opinion here is based on my own experience which is very possibly different to yours due to friend circle, music taste or whatever, but am just reporting my experience which is not necessarily fact so apologies for assuming so. I possibly go to the shit places and have crap taste!

- I goto any clubs in london that play what i like. I like jaded in corsica studios on a sunday morning for example. I am not shouting that electronic music is men only - im the opposite - I am asking why more women ain't into it? To be honest I'm talking about the heavier techno rather than the more chill generes that come under the "electronic music" umbrella such as tech house etc where there is genuinely more even split.

- I do love the music and I have a GF so I am not trying to score girls here just curious. I hang around with probably more women than average for a bloke, I am not a creep asking for more women to hit on here lol.... A few weeks ago I took 3 non techno women (including GF) to junction2 festival in london and to quote one of the single ones "wow the crowd is so full of men, great!"

- I posted this for a bit of discussion as im new here and because there is so many experienced guys its hard to contribute with technical knowledge so all i can contribute is discussion.

rmac
broke

Post by rmac »

SixOfOne wrote:
Then why would you make a topic about it and not about music?

Any club I've been to in recent years has had an even mix.

Bordem, Curioisty - it is sort of linked to the music a bit as I would love to goto a filthy dark rave and have some more women pumping their fists.

TimBuys
happy bastard

Post by TimBuys »

While it's definitely not true that girls don't like techno, I think they're generally speaking less interested in things that have to do with technology. That's why you see way less female producers than male producers. IMO a true appreciation of Techno comes from knowing how difficult it can be to make and recognizing great producers.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

With heavier styles of music you just tend to get less women.
Tech-house and more commercial stuff, more even split.
The more industrial or hard stuff, more of a cock fest.

Same with heavy metal. Go to a mainstream metal gig, you get more women.
Go to some dank death-doom gig and it`s wall to wall cocks.

It`s all that rampant testosterone.
New Shit

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

TimBuys wrote: knowing how difficult it can be to make and recognizing great producers.
Techno is one of the easiest styles of electronic music to make.
You can get away with far more finger mashing and general gunk than you can with other music.
New Shit

rmac
broke

Post by rmac »

Lost to the Void wrote:With heavier styles of music you just tend to get less women.

That is the observation I have made as well.

I guess i am trying to understand on some deeper level why that is the case rather than just accepting that is the case. I guess the simplest explanation is because of "testosterone", but it seems that my observation does not match the other techno people on here.

Stace
Classical Approach

Post by Stace »

TimBuys wrote:While it's definitely not true that girls don't like techno, I think they're generally speaking less interested in things that have to do with technology. That's why you see way less female producers than male producers. IMO a true appreciation of Techno comes from knowing how difficult it can be to make and recognizing great producers.
There is fucking loads of female producers these days. Fair enough there wasn't back in the early 90's but that is simply not the case anymore. I can link you up with a whole list if you are remotely bothered. Trust me when I say this is something I take a lot of notice of for a very particular reason.
Lost to the Void wrote:With heavier styles of music you just tend to get less women.

I was at a Viper/ Pet Duo gig and the crowd as around 50/50 male to female. I am pretty sure most people would be comfortable calling both of those artists heavy, if not very heavy.
I can't speak on behalf of any other music, metal, doom etc but techno is very even these days.

chava
You only live once

Post by chava »

StacieAnne wrote: Show me some papers/ research that proves this is the case as I am lead to strongly believe otherwise.

Scientists tried to find something to prove that was the case but were unable to last time I looked into it.
There are a lot of papers out there, but I guess this meta-study of ~15 mio(!) twin studies is the main one: https://www.nature.com/ng/journal/v47/n ... g.3285.pdf (I haven't got access though).

Denying biological/heritable aspects of personality is akin to climate change denial.