Why don't girls like techno?

General Chat // Music Discussion
Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt
Re: Why don't girls like techno?

Post by Lost to the Void »

I`m always looking for recordings of Sadowitz performances, it`s very difficult to find them.
He is very well respected here as a comedians comedian, and someone who very much pushed in areas it took comedy a long time to come to terms with. Ahead of his time.
I ran in to him once in a rare, underground film/dvd store in camden market once, he was very gentle and really quite lovely to talk to.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

1nfinitezer0
Tiesto

Post by 1nfinitezer0 »

Relevant, even if not so techno youtu.be/NFuh1xo6zZU

jordanneke
subsekt
subsekt

Post by jordanneke »

Why don't men like Justin Bieber?

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Didn't he use to have a large gay following?
New Shit

The_G
Artificial Hazard

Post by The_G »

chava wrote:
The_G wrote: ..but then 90% of "boy stuff/girl stuff" is just the parents, teachers and peers teaching them to act that way. Soooooooo much gendering has little to do with biology and everything to do with people conditioning people to play certain roles, and not others. And it starts very young.
So you're saying homosexuality is 90% social conditioning?
This is a strawman. And, no. I neither said nor implied anything of the sort--regarding gender, sexuality, etc.

What I did say, is that many or even most of the objects, symbols, practices, etc. that we associate with gender (or sexuality, or race, or blah blah) are social constructions. Take the color pink, for example. It is strongly associated with femininity in modern global culture, and it is used to harden the boundaries between male and female--from birth. But this is actually quite a recent thing. You can read up on the social construction of blue and pink as gender emblems via this (LINK). There's nothing inherently feminine about pink; it was socially constructed as such in the 1940s. You can actually trace the process.

The implication for homosexuality is not that sexual attraction is socially constructed or culturally specific, but that many of the cultural practices that are associated with being gay in popular culture have nothing to do with whether you like men or women in the sack, and everything to do with social processes of cultural identity construction and replication.

Again, this is not to say that men and women are the same, or that gender difference is wholly constructed. I do not believe it is, and the vast majority of academics (I work in academia) agree. Gender differences result from complex, long-term interactions between biological, social and cultural variables. Some of the social and cultural variables are deeply institutionalized, and do not change easily; others are very fluid and change rapidly.

It is also not to say that all preferences are social constructs. Biological, social and cultural influences are often intertwined, in such a way that it can be extremely difficult to disentangle them. It is likely, in many cases, that social and cultural influences "harden" certain distinctions that pre-exist. In other words, there may be a soft biological association between behavior X and gender Y, but when you introduce social conditioning, it goes from soft to hard.

The_G
Artificial Hazard

Post by The_G »

Lost to the Void wrote:
The_G wrote:, but then 90% of "boy stuff/girl stuff" is just the parents, teachers and peers teaching them to act that way.
Bit of a drawn from the neither figure that though ey
Neuroscience is still working out how much effect inherent cognitive and structural differences in male and female brains effects behaviours overall.
Could be less than that number, could be more.
That's true, it is. I was using it rhetorically when talking about my own observations of children. More precisely, should have said "but then most of the "boy stuff/girl stuff" I see the kids gravitating to is just the parents, teachers and peers teaching them to act that way."

To the other bit, though, just want to add that neuroscience isn't the only relevant discipline here. It's very good at looking at certain parts of the question, and very bad at others. Same goes for all the other disciplines--each of which has its own methods, preoccupations, assumptions, etc.

In the end, it's very likely that gender (i.e. how we act) is the result of complex interactions among biological, social and cultural influences.

[wesellboxes]
Q33 NY

Post by [wesellboxes] »

Lost to the Void wrote:But this also has been corrupted.
I think there is some agenda pushing these things in a way that is essentially encroaching on censorship\thought police.
The left is notorious for self-sabotage and imploding however the “Muslims want to ban Christmas trees” lot sullies what was probably a just cause at some point too.

Not that keen on Sadowitz, technically very good and get his point about there should be no jokes being off limits. My problem is if you have to continually explain your position then your material just isn’t strong enough. And that goes for any art not just comedy.

Big fan of Doug Stanhope and to an extent Frankie Boyle, who do the libertarian thing better.

intrusav
Rolf Harris

Post by intrusav »

"Hello everyone, this train is for...Cockfosters."

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-40591750

Mattias
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mattias »

What's truly worrying is there are so few nuances left. Either it's agreeing with whatever side you believe will "win" or nothing.
Music Page: http://www.facebook.com/Mattias.Fridell.Music
Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/fridell
Sample packs: http://mfsamples.bandcamp.com

Contention / 005

[wesellboxes]
Q33 NY

Post by [wesellboxes] »

Mattias wrote:Either it's agreeing with whatever side you believe will "win" or nothing.
This has been a very deliberate shift by those in power, in America especially.

Parties don't want floating voters and they certainly don't want a thinking voter that looks at individual policies or track records. Turning politics into the same as following a sports team makes it much easier to get people to vote for policies detrimental to their own self interests.

winston
unsure

Post by winston »

intrusav wrote:"Hello everyone, this train is for...Cockfosters."

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-40591750
another one small step towards destruction! yay!

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

Embrace all, disrespect none.

chava
You only live once

Post by chava »

The_G wrote: It is likely, in many cases, that social and cultural influences "harden" certain distinctions that pre-exist. In other words, there may be a soft biological association between behavior X and gender Y, but when you introduce social conditioning, it goes from soft to hard.
It's likely that it is the other way around. Socioeconomic constraints keep gender differences to a minimum as neither men nor women can choose how to live their life as they want. When you soften these constraints the inherent gender differences maximize.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

[wesellboxes] wrote:
I think there is some agenda pushing these things in a way that is essentially encroaching on censorship\thought police.
The left is notorious for self-sabotage and imploding however the “Muslims want to ban Christmas trees” lot sullies what was probably a just cause at some point too.

Not that keen on Sadowitz, technically very good and get his point about there should be no jokes being off limits. My problem is if you have to continually explain your position then your material just isn’t strong enough. And that goes for any art not just comedy.

Big fan of Doug Stanhope and to an extent Frankie Boyle, who do the libertarian thing better.

Sadowitz never really did explain his position or feel the need to, he just got banned from the BBC for example (for basically telling the truth about Jimmy Saville 25 years ago).
He was just way way ahead of his time, Boyle owes everything to sadowitz.

Stanhope is much more popular here than the US where his irony and pathos is more understood. He is getting more popular now though. Probably my favourite comedian.
New Shit

HowieRis
quasi-public

Post by HowieRis »

Lost to the Void wrote:
[wesellboxes] wrote:
Stanhope is much more popular here than the US where his irony and pathos is more understood. He is getting more popular now though. Probably my favourite comedian.
Oh man, I love Stanhope. His podcast around the time Bingo went into a coma was amazing, and the stuff focusing on his mother's death... just epic. His material seems to thrive on pure tragedy.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

The bingo incident was truly amazing.
His brutal honesty is unbelievable.
Then man is revolutionary.

Have you read his book about killing his mom?
New Shit

jim_kezzle
Onions

Post by jim_kezzle »

Lost to the Void wrote:
Sadowitz never really did explain his position or feel the need to, he just got banned from the BBC for example (for basically telling the truth about Jimmy Saville 25 years ago).
He was just way way ahead of his time, Boyle owes everything to sadowitz.

I was lucky enough to see a Sadowitz stand up show in Leeds just after the Saville scandal become public after his death
It was by far the best stand up performance I've ever seen.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Dude was brave as fuck, I think Stanhope is very similar. There was a tragedy and hopelessness behind what sadowitz was doing (and still does, though he focuses mostly on close up magic now), a world weary resignation to despair combined with a rage against it all and I think that is a common thread in comedians like Hicks, Stanhope, even Boyle, Maron.....
I always gravitate towards artists like this.
New Shit

[wesellboxes]
Q33 NY

Post by [wesellboxes] »

Lost to the Void wrote:Sadowitz never really did explain his position or feel the need to,
To be fair I've not seen anything of his for years but late 80's and 90's he was in The NME, Scotsman, The List (a Scottish Time Out) especially around festival time. Granted that's probably as much down to reporters asking the same questions and a controversy always helps sell out a Fringe show. I agree on your point regarding Frankie Boyle owing him a lot.

Not read Stanhope's book yet but on the list, I would love to spend a few days hanging out, drinking solidly and even witnessing the odd podcast though.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

I'm doing a coast to coast drive across the US with my best mate in a couple of years, we plan on swinging by Stanhope's as part of the journey.
New Shit