Why don't girls like techno?

General Chat // Music Discussion
The_G
Artificial Hazard
Re: Why don't girls like techno?

Post by The_G »

Lost to the Void wrote:I'm doing a coast to coast drive across the US with my best mate in a couple of years
Tangent, but it would be great to meet up. I'll be back there in 2018.

[wesellboxes]
Q33 NY

Post by [wesellboxes] »

Subsekt meet up at The Shady Dell? :)

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

The_G wrote:
Lost to the Void wrote:I'm doing a coast to coast drive across the US with my best mate in a couple of years
Cali? I got some visiting to do when I am there.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

The_G
Artificial Hazard

Post by The_G »

Lost to the Void wrote:
The_G wrote:
Cali? I got some visiting to do when I am there.
Yup, LA. Barring unforeseen events, I'm in Singapore until July 2018 then back home.

(Not sure if you've done it before, but the California coast makes for an incredible drive.)

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

The_G wrote:
Yup, LA. Barring unforeseen events, I'm in Singapore until July 2018 then back home.

(Not sure if you've done it before, but the California coast makes for an incredible drive.)
I`ve been to Cali lots of time.
Driven from LA to Monterey via the pacific coast highway and down to San diego on another occasion for whale watching.
Been all over actually, my dad used to work there (LA) and lived in long beach, got an aunt up in SanFran, and a good mate in Hollywood.
Only place I never got to go was yosemite as when I went to visit there was a massive forest fire...

So when we head out we are probably going to stay at my aunts in SanFran for a few days, then LA for a few to visit peeps, then off into the desert.
New Shit

chava
You only live once

Post by chava »

Just to calibrate the thread towards the OP also because of my complete disinterest in stand-up comdedy, here's an article that those who argue for the social construction of gender need to read (twice):

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/th ... ial-health

The_G
Artificial Hazard

Post by The_G »

Lost to the Void wrote:
The_G wrote:

I`ve been to Cali lots of time.
Driven from LA to Monterey via the pacific coast highway and down to San diego on another occasion for whale watching.
Been all over actually, my dad used to work there (LA) and lived in long beach, got an aunt up in SanFran, and a good mate in Hollywood.
Only place I never got to go was yosemite as when I went to visit there was a massive forest fire...

So when we head out we are probably going to stay at my aunts in SanFran for a few days, then LA for a few to visit peeps, then off into the desert.
I remember you spent some time in Long Beach. LA has changed a lot since I moved there in 2006...a lot more interesting stuff going on (art, music, etc.). San Francisco, unfortunately, has changed for the worse. It still has the counterculture, but the space for it is shrinking as more and more of the city is bought up and sanitized by tech bros.

Joshua Tree is amazing. Assume you'll be headed that way.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Yeah my dad used to live on Carita st that led right up to the airport, where he worked dealing with the C17, that all ended in the late 2000's
It was a nice neighbourhood originally, it's got a bit crazy round there now.
Sold up when he died.
I've done death valley, grand canyon, meteor crater, petrified forest etc so yeah we want to go a little further south before we head back up to 66, so Joshua tree, I really wanna see the Salton sea for its decayed wonder. Bisby obviously.

San Fran is insane pricey now ey? Utter hipsterville. My aunt owns a place right in the centre, she bought it in the 60s but it must be worth literally millions. 2 bed apartment, nice size.
Well just stay there as my mate has never been there.

LA was cooler last time I went, well more hip anyway, drank a lot of micro brews past time round, I still hate the place, one of my least loved cities, I don't even think of it as a city, it's just a sprawl. Everything is a total pain in the ass to get to, it blows my mind that people want to live there.
But, we will be there for a while so we should definitely hook up, as long as I go to El Pinches, I'll be happy.
New Shit

jordanneke
subsekt
subsekt

Post by jordanneke »

WHY IN GOD'S NAME AM I JUST DISCOVERING DOUG STANHOPE?

terryfalafel
Component

Post by terryfalafel »

jordanneke wrote:WHY IN GOD'S NAME AM I JUST DISCOVERING DOUG STANHOPE?
Yeah, kind of revelatory isn't he!

The clip I normally point people towards as a measure of whether they'll like his comedy or not is the 'Myspace Peadophiles' bit on YouTube.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

jordanneke wrote:WHY IN GOD'S NAME AM I JUST DISCOVERING DOUG STANHOPE?

Oh I am so happy for you, you get to go through his material afresh.
His venomous period is awesome.
New Shit

intrusav
Rolf Harris

Post by intrusav »

Hahaha, me too and just checked wiki...

Mattias
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mattias »

chava wrote:Just to calibrate the thread towards the OP also because of my complete disinterest in stand-up comdedy, here's an article that those who argue for the social construction of gender need to read (twice):

Great read, thanks for this one.
Music Page: http://www.facebook.com/Mattias.Fridell.Music
Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/fridell
Sample packs: http://mfsamples.bandcamp.com

Contention / 005

jordanneke
subsekt
subsekt

Post by jordanneke »

So, what was the conclusion? Why don't girls like techno?

Why is it mostly men into beer and beer festivals?
Why can't I find something in my house without my wife's help?
How many clothes/shoes do women need?
Why is it weird to have a man working in a creche?
Why are rom-coms targeted at women?
How come every time I pick a film it can't have an alien/aliens in it?
Why don't black people like death metal?

The_G
Artificial Hazard

Post by The_G »

Lost to the Void wrote:Yeah my dad used to live on Carita st that led right up to the airport, where he worked dealing with the C17, that all ended in the late 2000's
It was a nice neighbourhood originally, it's got a bit crazy round there now.
Sold up when he died.
I've done death valley, grand canyon, meteor crater, petrified forest etc so yeah we want to go a little further south before we head back up to 66, so Joshua tree, I really wanna see the Salton sea for its decayed wonder. Bisby obviously.

San Fran is insane pricey now ey? Utter hipsterville. My aunt owns a place right in the centre, she bought it in the 60s but it must be worth literally millions. 2 bed apartment, nice size.
Well just stay there as my mate has never been there.

LA was cooler last time I went, well more hip anyway, drank a lot of micro brews past time round, I still hate the place, one of my least loved cities, I don't even think of it as a city, it's just a sprawl. Everything is a total pain in the ass to get to, it blows my mind that people want to live there.
But, we will be there for a while so we should definitely hook up, as long as I go to El Pinches, I'll be happy.
You know, it's funny. I hated it there for the first 6 months, mostly for spatial reasons (the unending sprawl) then suddenly loved it. I'm not even sure why. I think it's the chaos and weirdness, on the one hand. But also I find the place weirdly calming. I'm a high anxiety, high stress person. Other cities I've lived in (e.g. New York, London) were a lot of fun but also brought out a sort of manic energy in me that wasn't healthy over the long term. Outside a few pressure cooker work environments, people in LA generally aren't stressed out about daily stuff, so that's a good vibe for me. But I also can't live in a small town.

Anyway, we'll get Pinches when you're out there. (Go there all the time--great spot, especially the flautas.)

Yeah, SF is now insanely pricey. Just nuts. Still a cool city, as is Berkeley. The cultural trends aren't good, though. I read a hilarious, near-future science fiction novel that satirizes all that stuff, called Black Hole. Basically it's about gentrification from the perspective of the counterculture. You would like it, I think. LINK.

The_G
Artificial Hazard

Post by The_G »

jordanneke wrote: How come every time I pick a film it can't have an alien/aliens in it?
I get that. Not about aliens--I can do aliens. But I can't do time travel or wizards in there here and now.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

I think I lucked out out.
My missus loves techno, metal (we watched metalocalypse at the weekend, she wants to see Brendon play live now), industrial (to a point), drum and bass, post rock, sci fi, fantasy (she introduced me to Terry Pratchet), arty movies (to a point), Anime (though not the dark ones).
She doesn`t do horror, but I managed to get her to go to a double special at the cinema of Alien (digitally remastered) and Aliens directors cut, then Prometheus and the latest Alien (mess of a film), so I`m slowly indoctrinating her in to horror, though she still thinks there is something wrong with me for the really dark stuff I like watching..
She doesn`t do Rom-Coms.
She helps me keep on track when making music, provides a good guide/critique.

Though I suppose it wasn`t so much luck as me not being interested in norms and cliches, I was never going to end up with someone too normal. By all rights I should be alone and living in a cave really.

Saying that, when choosing a new colour to paint the kitchen at the weekend, I found out that all the colours I picked are actually, just out of sheer bad luck, the wrong colours for a kitchen. But she picked the right colours, purely by accident, and I am glad she pointed that out, or else I would never have known.
New Shit

Stace
Classical Approach

Post by Stace »

jordanneke
subsekt
subsekt

Post by jordanneke »

You and Steve need to have a 'Gif-off' competition.

kertikristof
Wastedddd

Post by kertikristof »

Mattias wrote:
chava wrote:Just to calibrate the thread towards the OP also because of my complete disinterest in stand-up comdedy, here's an article that those who argue for the social construction of gender need to read (twice):

Great read, thanks for this one.
+1, nice post
https://intech.studio <- Modular MIDI controllers, MaxForLive devices, DIY Eurorack panels and intech life.
@ https://www.instagram.com/intechstudio/