What do you do with your tracks?

General Chat // Music Discussion
jordanneke
subsekt
subsekt
What do you do with your tracks?

Post by jordanneke »

This is specifically for people who aren't professionals. What do you do with your best tracks once they are finished? Do you pay for them to get mastered? Do you master them yourselves?

Then what? Do you let them sit on your hard-drive? Send them out for demo's? Or just let them sit on soundcloud?

I'm at the stage where my tracks are objectively 'ok-ish, sometimes' and I just wonder what other people like me do. For the record, I don't bother trying to master tracks or pay them to get mastered, as I see no point. I let them sit on my hard-drive, maybe, just maybe send out a demo a year (which really isn't worth it, as I'm not objectively good), but mostly they sit on my hard-drive, then I may put them on soundcloud.

Anyone else?

Evert
who is it?
Re: What do you do with your tracks?

Post by Evert »

I'm not at a stage yet where I have enough tracks at my disposal that are good enough to send out for demos, so they mostly stay on my hard drive.

I've only had one track mastered recently and that was purely out of curiosity and to learn from it.

I don't see myself doing all that much with the tracks that I'm going to make in the next couple of months/years as it's still a learning process for me.
I might come back to some of them in the future when I'm at another level, but for now it's just nice to listen to my own stuff once in a while.

Mslwte
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mslwte »

jordanneke wrote:This is specifically for people who aren't professionals. What do you do with your best tracks once they are finished? Do you pay for them to get mastered? Do you master them yourselves?

Then what? Do you let them sit on your hard-drive? Send them out for demo's? Or just let them sit on soundcloud?

I'm at the stage where my tracks are objectively 'ok-ish, sometimes' and I just wonder what other people like me do. For the record, I don't bother trying to master tracks or pay them to get mastered, as I see no point. I let them sit on my hard-drive, maybe, just maybe send out a demo a year (which really isn't worth it, as I'm not objectively good), but mostly they sit on my hard-drive, then I may put them on soundcloud.

Anyone else?
If I think a track is good enough I'll send it out. I never master my own music because I want it done properly. I actually send out -6 Pre masters with nothing on the master. I don't try and make it loud etc. If the label likes the music in that condition then I think that is positive.

Even if I release something on my bandcamp it is mastered properly. I only have Mr Voidloss master music.

You should be sending your best tracks to labels. Even if you only think they are "just OK" they are better than you realise and you'll get feedback from the label, most likely saying they are great and they want to release them. I'd put money on it.
https://soundcloud.com/mslwte
https://noizefacilityrecords.bandcamp.com
https://www.instagram.com/subsekt909
https://www.facebook.com/subsekt909/
Lost to the Void wrote:Fuck off, get some tequila down ya neck and make some noise you cunt....

Stace
Classical Approach

Post by Stace »

Listen to the tracks when I am drunk.

Stace
Classical Approach

Post by Stace »

In all seriousness, I stuck a few on Soundcloud, I am not overly bothered about them. I'll probably take them down soon.

The last thing I had mastered Mr Voidloss did for me too. Ethical mastering of no mastering IMO.
I would never attempt to master my own shit. It is called mastering for a reason.

Dattington
Alf Garnett

Post by Dattington »

I pay to get them mastered.

I want to get impartial feedback from people that know better than me!
Previews and clips are in the playlist below:

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

Why master? No point if you aren't releasing and any decent label will pay for the mastering. I guess for the feedback, if at all.

I'm in the same boat as you. I've had friends offer me to forward tracks to potentially release on vinyl but i'm not releasing something that's just okay-ish. I'm lucky to be in a position where I don't have to send out demos to random labels. I'm sending tracks to a friend of mine that runs a long-running detroit techno label but i'm not releasing anything until I have a full EP of tracks that at least get somewhat closed to this idealized potentiality of my music that I have in my head. But then again, i'm only two years in and I still feel like im constantly improving. Maybe in another two years i'll just say fuck it, i'll put something out. But right now i'm always cringing at most of the stuff I made that I thought was hot six months ago. In any case, i'm not releasing anything digital only. I'd rather have my tracks sit on my hard drive for all eternity.

zukenbauer
You only live once

Post by zukenbauer »

Evert wrote:I'm not at a stage yet where I have enough tracks at my disposal that are good enough to send out for demos, so they mostly stay on my hard drive.

I've only had one track mastered recently and that was purely out of curiosity and to learn from it.

I don't see myself doing all that much with the tracks that I'm going to make in the next couple of months/years as it's still a learning process for me.
I might come back to some of them in the future when I'm at another level, but for now it's just nice to listen to my own stuff once in a while.
Same as here, send one to mastering (thanks Mattias) just so i can hear mastering on my own music and learn a bit..

@Jordan, I think your music is more than good enough for releasing some of them.
As far as i know you sre making music that will work on the dancefloor and i think you achieved that already.

I have maybe 3 - 5 tracks that im satisfied with even months after i made them but im actually doing nothing with them.. I think i just want to learn more before releasing something and i want to be FULLY satisfied with it..
I think i will master last track i made so i can play it (without going a lot into the red)when im mixing and drinking with friends

Stace
Classical Approach

Post by Stace »

zukenbauer wrote: @Jordan, I think your music is more than good enough for releasing some of them.
I love Jordan's tracks. He needs to take himself outside and have a word with himself and maybe believe us for once :roll:

Mono-xID
Uumfääng

Post by Mono-xID »

I put them on Soundcloud ...... that's it.
http://soundcloud.com/monoxid

Behringer = ARTS label of synths

zukenbauer
You only live once

Post by zukenbauer »

StacieAnne wrote:
zukenbauer wrote: @Jordan, I think your music is more than good enough for releasing some of them.
I love Jordan's tracks. He needs to take himself outside and have a word with himself and maybe believe us for once :roll:
Yea, release the penis!

jordanneke
subsekt
subsekt

Post by jordanneke »

Thanks Cunts and Cuntess, but I wasn't looking for sympathy/ compliments!!!!

jordanneke
subsekt
subsekt

Post by jordanneke »

Mono-xID wrote:I put them on Soundcloud ...... that's it.
Mate, you should post up whole tracks rather than clips. Seriously.

I for one would love to hear them whole

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Being "professional" doesn't mean anything.
I don't know.
Sometimes people ask me for tracks and I have some to give.
Sometimes I send them to someone, rarely actually.
Sometimes I get a horrible sense of dissolution and it goes and sits on the hard drive and I start making more music. (I'm most happy making music, all the other crap generally bothers me).

This last couple of years I care less about my music when it is finished. All the fun was getting to that point.

I think I have about 3 albums worth of decent material at the moment. And I'm not doing anything with it, and I kinda don't care.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

jordanneke
subsekt
subsekt

Post by jordanneke »

Mslwte wrote:
jordanneke wrote:This is specifically for people who aren't professionals. What do you do with your best tracks once they are finished? Do you pay for them to get mastered? Do you master them yourselves?

Anyone else?
If I think a track is good enough I'll send it out. I never master my own music because I want it done properly. I actually send out -6 Pre masters with nothing on the master. I don't try and make it loud etc. If the label likes the music in that condition then I think that is positive.

Even if I release something on my bandcamp it is mastered properly. I only have Mr Voidloss master music.

You should be sending your best tracks to labels. Even if you only think they are "just OK" they are better than you realise and you'll get feedback from the label, most likely saying they are great and they want to release them. I'd put money on it.
Ha ha, dude, you are in a slightly different class to most of us plebs ;)

zukenbauer
You only live once

Post by zukenbauer »

dubdub wrote: In any case, i'm not releasing anything digital only. I'd rather have my tracks sit on my hard drive for all eternity.
Well honestly, i thought you are making more than just 2 years.

If i may ask, why wouldnt you release digitals?

jordanneke
subsekt
subsekt

Post by jordanneke »

Lost to the Void wrote:Being "professional" doesn't mean anything.
I don't know.
Sometimes people ask me for tracks and I have some to give.
Sometimes I send them to someone, rarely actually.
Sometimes I get a horrible sense of dissolution and it goes and sits on the hard drive and I start making more music. (I'm most happy making music, all the other crap generally bothers me).

This last couple of years I care less about my music when it is finished. All the fun was getting to that point.

I think I have about 3 albums worth of decent material at the moment. And I'm not doing anything with it, and I kinda don't care.
Man, I'd love to hear that shit, even on a private s/c address that you took down after an hour.

Or are you like Prince, makes an album, then has it destroyed, so no-one else can listen?

Stace
Classical Approach

Post by Stace »

I think I have come to understand it is the process I enjoy. I know I must have said this a bazzilion times on here. The notion that you can make something from nothing to capture a moment in time is amazing.

Root
BANNED

Post by Root »

Yay, i'm in the same position. Producing continiously tracks to leave them on my harddisk. The only nice thing is that i DJ and that i'm able to play my tracks in my sets in some local clubs, what is fun.
:geek:

jordanneke
subsekt
subsekt

Post by jordanneke »

StacieAnne wrote:I think I have come to understand it is the process I enjoy. I know I must have said this a bazzilion times on here. The notion that you can make something from nothing to capture a moment in time is amazing.

I'm in it for the bitches, cars and mountains of coke.... :)

In all seriousness, everyone needs some external validation that what they are doing is 'good' or at least getting better.

I have 17yr olds in my class who go bonkers for a gold star.

So whilst the process may be enjoyable, I guess that's nothing to have 'saddam rashim' or whoever is the techno 'boss' of the moment, dropping your track and watching a club collectively orgasm.

I think all of us would love that to happen, but for 99% of people it won't. Having tracks sit on my hard-drive, or playing them to my long suffering wife, isn't really making the dream happen.

I forget my point.