Keith Flint found dead at 49

General Chat // Music Discussion
Pelecaras
Lifer
Keith Flint found dead at 49

Post by Pelecaras »

Shit!!! Keith Flint of the Prodigy has passed away aged 49.

It was Charlie say's on the radio that pricked my ears to 'Rave' music. Saw them at Marcus Garvey Centre circa '92 and at Glasto '97, (Dennis Pennis introduced them).

great live act and Keith in his own way was a good frontman. RIP
FUCK-WIT

jordanneke
subsekt
subsekt
Re: Keith Flint found dead at 49

Post by jordanneke »

What? No way!

timc3
Back Bling

Post by timc3 »

Damn, can’t help but wonder why

CubiK Mass
Alf Garnett

Post by CubiK Mass »

Not surprised, massive cainer, nobody rides for free when you do it to the excesses he did.

Apparently it was suicide according to Howlett.

winston
unsure

Post by winston »

hadn't he been sober for a decade or so?

Pelecaras
Lifer

Post by Pelecaras »

49 man!!! between that and today being 25 years since John Candy passed away at age 43 it really brings it home as I'm 44. life really does flash by.

I am seeing suicide in the media...poor guy.

you can be rich and famous but that old black dog can still bite your arse.
FUCK-WIT

jordanneke
subsekt
subsekt

Post by jordanneke »

winston wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:09 pm
'Aint that the same story nearly every time.

jordanneke
subsekt
subsekt

Post by jordanneke »

Pelecaras wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:53 pm
49 man!!! between that and today being 25 years since John Candy passed away at age 43 it really brings it home as I'm 44. life really does flash by.

I am seeing suicide in the media...poor guy.

you can be rich and famous but that old black dog can still bite your arse.
Uncle Buck was only 43!!!! :o :o Fuckin hell!

In some ways being famous for being edgy and artsy maybe a bit of a curse with regards to depression. You have the money that enables a lot of shit, and that destructive party persona is like a catch 22.

Mslwte
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mslwte »

Proper gutted. I'm not a massive fan these days but I've seen them live a ton of times. Saying that I've had their latest album on repeat in the car.

Very sad. It's a hidden demon that can take anyone. 49 is just so young.
https://soundcloud.com/mslwte
https://noizefacilityrecords.bandcamp.com
https://www.instagram.com/subsekt909
https://www.facebook.com/subsekt909/
Lost to the Void wrote:Fuck off, get some tequila down ya neck and make some noise you cunt....

willemb
Mild

Post by willemb »

A sad day indeed.

[wesellboxes]
Q33 NY

Post by [wesellboxes] »

Not got much to say other than the death of a middle aged man by suicide has hit home. RIP.

Anyone doing a bootleg of a Prodigy tune and uploading it to Soundcloud today is a horrible ghoul of a bastard.

Pelecaras
Lifer

Post by Pelecaras »

jordanneke wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:59 pm

Uncle Buck was only 43!!!! :o :o Fuckin hell!

In some ways being famous for being edgy and artsy maybe a bit of a curse with regards to depression. You have the money that enables a lot of shit, and that destructive party persona is like a catch 22.
yep, 43...gutted when he died!!! I fuckin' love John Candy's movies.
FUCK-WIT

Revaron
reverse genius

Post by Revaron »

Fucking gutted. He was about as iconic a front man as you could want. Don't know where they'll go from here. And they've clearly got plenty more give. But I guess he didn't. Sorry for him that it came to this, but as a fan, just devastated really, won't be the same again. Massive loss.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

winston wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:09 pm
Yes

Depression, can happen to anyone.

Keith was a legend. The prodge came from a part of Essex not far from where I grew up (and he stayed in Essex, still living there as well as buying a pub there).
It was through them in their early years I got on the rave train, the early M25 days, the warehouses and fields.
If the Prodigy were playing, we were going. They were our guys, Essex boys representing.

When Keith did Firestarter and scared the country (that was a number 1 record...unbelievable) it demonstrated a different energy, visually and musically. It was a kind of game changer.
He injected punk in to rave and it changed the way their live act worked.

I'm genuinely upset by this.
I have some friends of mine who are/were friends of his. It hits quite close to home.

A true legend of dance music and a lovely lovely guy.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Very sad news. Feel sorry for his family & friends.

This unfortunately happens to lots of people, not just musicians of course.

As the years go on & it affects more family, friends, friends of friends & people who on the surface appear to have it all, be it a nice family, cool job or wealth.. I really feel sorry that they had to let it go so far as do not let anyone know how they were feeling.

There could have been another chance. It certainly must be a lonely & despairing, well established position to find yourself. A tricky spot. Just sad to think that someone believes that theyve run out of road. We never know what a persons inner voice is telling them & that's why people should talk, shout or cry to someone if they're feeling low.

It's a small world. This shows it once more.

We cease to be connected when we isolate ourselves. Its not healthy to be that way & its never too late to try again.. RIP man.
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum
>> Click here for NEW POSTS on subsekt <<

Dialog I The Hole I subsekt Blog I The Bench I IG I SC I Mixes I FB

Pelecaras
Lifer

Post by Pelecaras »

Críoch wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:52 am
Very sad news. Feel sorry for his family & friends.

This unfortunately happens to lots of people, not just musicians of course.

As the years go on & it affects more family, friends, friends of friends & people who on the surface appear to have it all, be it a nice family, cool job or wealth.. I really feel sorry that they had to let it go so far as do not let anyone know how they were feeling.

There could have been another chance. It certainly must be a lonely & despairing, well established position to find yourself. A tricky spot. Just sad to think that someone believes that theyve run out of road. We never know what a persons inner voice is telling them & that's why people should talk, shout or cry to someone if they're feeling low.

It's a small world. This shows it once more.

We cease to be connected when we isolate ourselves. Its not healthy to be that way & its never too late to try again.. RIP man.
amen to that
FUCK-WIT

Ben Kohonays
Eclipsed

Post by Ben Kohonays »

This is fucked up. And I thought he was a little older than that.

I found myself watching some youtube stuff of him on talk shows and whatnot about a year ago, and he always came across as a nice, intelligent guy.

R.I.P. Keith.
0dd wrote: Gotta love the subsekt derail ethic.

juodas
Indirection

Post by juodas »

Well don;t get me wrong, but i think depression is a myth.
We all face shitty situation , and we still need to carry on with it, like other people have illness and they trying to get till the end.
As soon a star dies is a completely different thing, it's most likely drug abuse, i don't really see a point how you can kill yourself with a depression when you have everything you need(don't get me wrong, however i think the guys didn't have a support which is needed for every human being included me, in his life, as much i guessing he was single)
So the main problem as i started to realize that separation from each other is a biggest problem in a world.
there's loads of consipiracy theories that man is being downgraded and women are more superior than before(it's just info from david icke and other sources) So in other words when man is being downgraded he feels low and other stuff he can't handle that it's not good enough or it's something missing in his life, mostly it's obvious that's a drug abuse, however i think one of the biggest problem in a world is separation, when you look around people look so lonely and separated from each other, some are more awake a(which is a problem as well, but you need to deal with it when you don't find same minded people, and yeah small talk i fucking annoying).
RIP, however we all know where's the problem in this society and music industry. ;)

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Jesus man, you really don't understand depression.
You seem like one of those people who goes to someone suffering from severe bipolar disorder "cheer up mate".

As if it were that simple. Literally that attitude is part of the problem.
It's like saying to someone with cancer "just get better mate, it's only cancer".

Depression has nothing to do with wealth, with the quality of your life, it's completely irrational.
Your own mind is at war with you.
You can be surrounded by people who love you and be in utter despair at the pointlessness of it.

It is definitely not a myth and nor is it something necessarily related to loneliness.

I suffered from depression for years that eventually became full on bipolar, I know what it is like, I've been stood on the edge of a multistory car park ready to leap.
I had a long term partner, we were fine, I was selling a shit ton of records and playing out and doing what I wanted.
Depression is very common in artists.
The cathartic process of creation goes hand in hand with the mania from the upcycle of depression.

I've lost 2 friends to severe depression through suicide, one of who'm left behind a daughter, who he thought would have a better life without him.

The issue with male depression is that men are conditioned to be tough and show no weakness and not talk about their feelings. This is compounded now but men constantly being told they have it easy compared to blah.

Add to that the strange stigma that mental health has and the almost useless health system in dealing with it (in this and many other countries).

The thing with depression is that even if you get out of it, through whatever means, it can come back, and it can also be triggered.

Keith had a history of depression that he dealt with by self medication.
His marriage had fallen apart and by accounts from people who knew him, she was taking him to the cleaners over divorce. That was clearly enough to send him in to a downward spiral.
New Shit

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

The music industry sucks in creatives and spits them out. You are the product.
The ups and downs of music, of dealing with crowds, of being an energy focus already comes with its own ups and downs.

Go do a gig in front of a few thousand people, feel that energy. It hits you like a drug.
Then go sit in a hotel room on your own with all that energy gone.
That's when the drugs come in, they soften that crash.
And none of the above is particularly good for a sensitive person, let alone someone with depression.

Creatively in down patch?
Tough, we need more product, there is money to be made.
New product doesn't sell, it's your fault, you fucked up, we need more product BE CREATIVE NOW.

Oh we are done with you now, off you fuck.

None of that is good for the mental health of someone creative who is basically opening up their heart and soul all the time.
New Shit