How much does Techno owe to E?

General Chat // Music Discussion
Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt
Re: How much does Techno owe to E?

Post by Lost to the Void »

Yeah, nothing like feeling you are ready to completely dive in and lose yourself to the music and then the music switched to gabba, or the crowd suddenly fills up with a horrific post pub pissed up crowd of sharon and tracey clubbers, all testosterone and oy mate did you spill my bird.
You know it`s time to leave but your eyeballs are vibrating and the thought of negotiating public transport makes you think of Frodo`s journey to mordor.

"I might not be able to carry your ringpiece mr ashley, but I can still carry you"

Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

ashley BORG
Small Penis

Post by ashley BORG »

Lost to the Void wrote:Yeah, nothing like feeling you are ready to completely dive in and lose yourself to the music and then the music switched to gabba, or the crowd suddenly fills up with a horrific post pub pissed up crowd of sharon and tracey clubbers, all testosterone and oy mate did you spill my bird.
You know it`s time to leave but your eyeballs are vibrating and the thought of negotiating public transport makes you think of Frodo`s journey to mordor.

"I might not be able to carry your ringpiece mr ashley, but I can still carry you"

Hahaha sounds like the makings of the comedown from hell.

asm
crud

Post by asm »

As mentioned in another thread I started clubbing by going to trance parties. I had some pretty wicked times being munted on pills and acid. Made me the man I am today :D

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Picture this for a bad trip.

Was doing a party underneath canning town flyover.
An "outdoor" rave in a spot we used to use in the summer.
All going well, no major trouble, was about 11am Sunday morning.
I'd been working all night, doing the door, policing the party , dealt with the authorities(we had 3 soundsystems in the grounds and about 2500 people by that time), I'd played a set, and decided it was the end of my shift (something I rarely did but this was outdoor and things were always less stressful).
Some associates gave me some of their space juice. This was a really sweet honey based syrup made from Mexican magic mushrooms, peyote and pure mdma.
They gave me a cap full (it was in a 1 litre plastic milk bottle), which they assured me would be mild and pleasant. After I drank it they then laughed.
Bastards, obviously that was a heavy dose then.
Oh well, go enjoy the music.
Had a bit of a dance to one of the outside soundsystems (iffy soundsystem, very dark drum and bass) (there were arches under the bridge which used to be garages, our soundsystem was in one, but we decided to have one rig out in the courtyard, as it was an outdoor party, and there was no passing pedestrians or traffic as that was overhead on the Canning Town flyover), then I decided to go see how our rig was doing and who was playing.
Whilst in there my partner, who never ever took anything, was a bit trashed.
I questioned why and he said one of our DJ's had a bottle of liquid lsd and that i should have some.
Sure why not, everything is going fine and we can wind the party down in a few hours.
Now matey with the bottle and dropper was a cheeky little monkey, and he gave me more than a drop.
Oh dear, also forgot about the space juice I took earlier.

So some time later I was walking around the world of Tron, admiring the resolution of the graphics and how they had got the details on the front of the speakers really nicely, and how wonderful the sky looked all burning like that.
The music was floating past me in little clouds of audible vapour, and the ground seemed to be made out of a layer of sponge placed over a bouncy castle.

I was in no state to be responsible for a rave.

So then a tap on my shoulder "oh steeeeeeeeve, we better go deal with this"
I turned and looked at my partner in crime, who had transformed into some anthropomorphic rat man.
He pointed up to the flyover. Leaning over the flyover, surrounded by smoke, were some police officers and a man in a uniform that could only be a chief inspector or hopefully just an inspector.

"Someone needs to go talk to them, none of the door crew want to do it" said ratty

"Ok, who do we have?"

"Well, that's a flat cap, I don't trust anyone to deal with that, it's you and me innit" said ratty

"Mate, I can see time in 6 dimensions, I'm in no fit state to negotiate with the filth"

"Be a fucking man, c'mon, it'll be fun you cunt" said ratty

"Ah fuck it, come on then"

So we walked under the tunnel in between the garage arches, out the other side, and then up the steps that went up to the other side of the flyover. I'm fairly sure the staircase said its name was Gavin and it was only doing this part time.

Anyway, when we got up to the flyover we noticed that the whole road was covered in smoke. Basically one of the guys got a bit carried away with our superfogger cannons and the smoke had spilled out of the arch (where visibility was down to zero, especially with the strobes) and up as a cloud to, and over the road.

The flyover at canning town carries a very busy road. So we took life in our hands and ran across the road to the boys in blue.

"Hello inspector, we thought someone should come and talk to you, any problems?" Said ratty

"are you responsible for that rave down there?"

"Well, haha, we merely represent the collective who are doing the party, it's a community thing. We are just the sensible people who are chosen to represent the collective, what seems to be the problem?" said ratty, his wits clearly still about him.

Now at this point I noticed the cool chequered pattern on the inspectors hat, which was rotating independently around his hat, like a dot matrix display. I wanted desperately to reach out and stop it spinning with my finger.

But then I heard a voice.

"Well, this smoke is obviously a serious traffic hazard. I want it sorted out immediately or I am coming back here with a lot more men and things won't go well for you"

"I'll sort it out right away guy" said ratty, "graham stay here and see what else we can do for the inspector" (graham was my "party name" when dealing with the rozzer).

Off he ran, rather than crossing the road he ran down the road to the embankment at the side of the flyover as it begins to rise from the roundabout back at ground level, over the fence, down the embankment and in to the party"
It seemed to take forever, the grass on the embankment was glowing bright green, and strobing different shades.

"So graham, the other problem I have is that we have been told some of the people wanted from the anti capitalist riots are down at that rave"

(This was the same summer in the year that the huge anti capitalist riots happened that ground the city of london to a halt for a day and cost millions in damages).

"Erm, well look, I don't know everyone down there, but no one I know was involved in the riots" (not strictly true) "what do you want to do about it, can you point anyone out to me?"

"Well ideally I would like to arrest them"

"Ah look, if you walk in there with your men (he had 4 officers with him) and start arresting people you might cause another riot, I'm not threatening you, but I can only negotiate for these people, I can't promise you things won't go mental if you go in"

The smoke stopped. Ratty walked out in to the middle of the courtyard below and gave a big grinning double thumbs up and then a theatrical polishing of his fingernails on his shirt, then ran back to the embankment at the edge of the courtyard to make his way back up to us.

"So what are we saying graham? Do I need to go and get more men?"

Now we'd all seen the various "do you know this person" mugshots in the london papers with photos of people the police wanted to talk to about the j18 anti capitalist madness, and though we recognised some people from the wide community of the subculture, they weren't "one of us". So I took a gamble.

"Ok guv, I tell you what, I don't want a hole mass of trouble over a few stupid people, and you can't come in to the party, so you point out the people you want, and I'll go kick em out of the party, then you can talk to them or Nick em or whatever"

I gambled that the whole anti capitalist stuff was just a ruse so they had a reason to shut the party down, with the threat of mass arrest.

The inspectors eyes were spinning in their sockets, his facial features were moving around a little like his skin was a really thick gloopy soup, the band on his hat was whizzing around, and it appeared his men were behind him dancing.

I stared at him for possibly an hour, my legs were saying RUN, my stomach had fallen down inside me to my feet, my mind was saying YOU ARE GETTING NICKED and my hand wanted desperately to reach up and stop the spinning hat band.

"No no, that's not necessary, we have merely had complaints, probably just a civilian who saw all you weird looking people dancing around and jumped to a conclusion, I can't see anyone on my wanted list. Now I don't want this party still here at the end of my shift, it makes me look bad, can you get this shut down by 7pm, if not I will have to come down in full force"

"7!!, fuck me! We ain't THAT fucking mad, haha, I've got a missus to get home to and dip me wick in, know what mean? This will all be wound down in a couple of hours, you can only put up with these freaks for a while innit? It's a bloody zoo down there, but at least we keep em out of your hair for the weekend ey?"

Did I just say that? Jesus, what have I been saying all along? I don't think I said that? Oh god, how long have I been staring at him, look at his fucking hat..

I looked to my left and ratty had joined us, apparently, and had just uttered the typical cheeky chappy shit that always seemed to keep us out of the nick.
The voice I heard, was not mine... Phew.

"I'll be back at 7 to check on you. Tommy (ratty's party name), graham, no more smoke on the road, good day gentlemen"

And they got back in to their van and left.

"Cunts" said ratty, "job done, you alright?"

"I am fucked mate, I was not up for that, I need to go lay down for a bit, I may have shit myself and I might possibly be dead"

"You cuuuuuuunt, cmon, iffy has fallen asleep in his van, let's gaffa tape all the doors up and wrap camo netting around it, fucking wanker should have been up here with us" said ratty, handing me beer.

We went back to the party, we did gaffa tape iffy in to his van, only after letting off the handbrake and moving the van outside the party into the street on the other side of the compound outside the party.
He had to phone us when he woke up, as he couldn't get out and didn't know where he was.

I spent about an hour hiding in our van as the missus nursed me back to reality.

A lot of people apparently had space juice and or liquid lsd. It was a pretty crazy party.
One guy went totally bonkers and we had to tape his legs together and his arms until he calmed down as he was really going mad.

The party shut down about 5pm. It took us about 3 hours to pack up and leave as we just couldn't work out how to fit the rig in to the van and it took several tries, in and out, in and out.
The inspector never returned...

Trips like that make a man out of you.
New Shit

jordanneke
subsekt
subsekt

Post by jordanneke »

That is fucking funny.

You should write a book. Seriously...

Or a column in the Daily Mail....

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

Really cool man. haha, damn

ashley BORG
Small Penis

Post by ashley BORG »

Hahaha amazing story. We need to start a fund Steve's memoirs topic. :lol:

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

When I hit retirement age I will write a book. No one has really documented the post criminal justice act rave scene, and it would be a shame for it to never be known about. It was truly as underground as a music scene can get.

I have a great story about the J18 day anti capitalist riots, as all the soundsystems clubbed together and put together a soundsystem out of spare amps, speakers and an old fucked ford box van, to drive in to the madness and lead everyone to Trafalgar Square.

Another time though.....
New Shit

willemb
Mild

Post by willemb »

Lost to the Void wrote:I'm fairly sure the staircase said its name was Gavin and it was only doing this part time.
Hahaha love it
jordanneke wrote:You should write a book. Seriously...
This.

Berhoff
washable

Post by Berhoff »

I think when people are starting to listen to techno or any related genre the E really helps them get in de vibe, because the love for techno needs time to grow, but after a while you're so in love with the genre that the E is just for the occasional fun. At that point the music is way more important than the drugs, while that was questionable in the beginning. So you could say that it makes the music more atractive when getting to know it, so it draws a lot more people in, but once they're in to it for a while a lot of them let loose of the E. So my conclusion is that E definitely had a big impact on the succes of our beautiful music :) That's my view on it anyway.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

What you really need is a nice cup of tea.
Lapsang souchong is my fave, but I'm digging China lychee too.
Not many clubs do it though.....

one of my fave bits of kit for the studio now, tea ball, quality loose leaf tea and a nice cuppa.

That and the arizer solo....
New Shit

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

Lost to the Void wrote: the arizer solo....
the least used tool in my studio. :D
it does the job quite well,
but I suppose it's pretty damn complicated when you're not a smoker and you got kids, even with something like the arizer.
Sin cambios no hay mariposa

nocernoc
unsure

Post by nocernoc »

five roses still my fave... pg next... else default to tetly. whatever you do don't give me any of that rooibos shit. it smells like bushman piss. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

S'all about a good pot of tea.
None of this teabag shit.

Tea bags are the ITCHY Whoretits? of the tea world.
New Shit

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

just read this one.
best advice in there is the following :
Never take more than one pill, particularly if you get no effects after an hour, as PMA and PMMA are slow-acting. Always use with friends and nominate one of your group not to take anything so can get help if you fall ill.
If you buy new batches of pills, start low: try a half, or a quarter, and watch yourself and your mates closely. Do not re-dose if the come-up is slow or strange. No buzz is worth dying for, or ending up in A&E.
I once had 2 situations where I got overheated in the first years that I did E. Not a pleasant feeling, and it made me extra careful every time I take E now.
I always start with a half now, and then take the 2nd half about 1,5 hours later (even though nowadays I always have quality stuff since my dealer only sells them if he's sure of proper quality)
My opinion usually is that if you need to take more than 1, it's probably crappy pills.

About 10 years ago, I once came across crystal MDMA, and I have to say I didn't like it half as much as E.
It's really hardcore stuff, and it makes you crave for more more more, even though you're already totally off this planet.
Also, with good E, you'd want to move and do stuff, or talk a lot, but with MDMA I could just sit in the couch for hours and hardly say a word.
I saw the same behaviour with my friends, so it's not just me but the drugs working in that way.

Ketamine I'd never EVER want to touch.

I gotta say the story about purer stuff on the market is true though.
In that article they mention Superman pills as deadly. I got 2 of those once from a friend (who I trust), I didn't know anything about that actually untill I read it in this article (and obviously it's just a logo and chances are supersmall you get some of the same batch they talk about), but man was I ever happy I used my half/half rule on those.
That shit was definitely a lot harder than the usual stuff.

In any case, nowadays it doesn't have the same appeal to me like in the old days.
Maybe I'm just getting older and wiser, who knows ?

simon_marklar
Pig

Post by simon_marklar »

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

hilarious story. :D

willemb
Mild

Post by willemb »

haha wow?!

quest
will fuck for food

Post by quest »

That story seems exaggerated? Could be totally true as written I guess?

I think techno owes a lot to E in the same way Psy owes a lot to LSD and mushrooms. Both are good outcomes I think.

There is nothing wrong with learning from these substances, they could be abused but so can anything, but unlike street drugs like meth, heroin, cocaine, etc., at least you can get a valuable experience from them. I know I did.

The new scene was pushed away from these things and in a way it probably has a lot to do with how hollow the scene became, and the hollow electronic styles that became popular. Not that hollowness can't also warp original styles, thanks to types like Whoretits? and Deadmau5. I think at least Deadmau5 is trying to stay on the line between what's real and the mainstream, at least.

Whoretits?, on the other hand...

But it's all going to get sorted out in the next few years. Something big is coming that will start out kind of a new scene, but with more in common with the original scene than with the EDM "lost years" "scene". I can see early signs of this in the scene in my city, going to try and really guide things here in the direction I can see ahead. I think other cultural capitals will be doing the same thing.

Really fast computers will be what changed everything again, what's possible using them to converge discrete art forms. We just had an event last night with tons of visual arts, choreographed arts, fine arts, and of course plenty of music. The artists all clearly want to work together. All that's left is to provide the tools to connect it all together, and that's coming.

It'll be real, and people might appreciate the realness even better with substances. There was no need for substances in the EDM scene because there is nothing real to appreciate. Its as much of a show as modern rap music is. All show and no substance.

ashley BORG
Small Penis

Post by ashley BORG »

Just read that a woman is in hospital and really bad condition after taking a bad match of MD going around. That kind of stuff puts drug taking in to perspective.