did anyone mention the new bass station?

General Chat // Music Discussion
Hades
Shit Eater
Re: did anyone mention the new bass station?

Post by Hades »

I'll definitely agree it's the most modulated parameter, but I'll never go as far as to say "most everything else can be set and left untouched". That's a bit too extreme.

I know from experience that it's most likely the first knob that will break, just because it gets turned far more often than the others. I have an Access controller for my matrix 1000 (Access used to make MIDI controllers before they started making the Virus synths), and after all these years the only knob that feels like it's gonna fall off any second now is the cutoff knob (and it was already like that when it arrived in my studio maybe 10 years ago, not from my own abuse). I've had similar things with other vintage synths.

So if they'd make the cutoff knob twice the quality of the other knobs, that'd be a great idea.
But why make it bigger ?
Bigger doesn't automatically mean better quality.
Sin cambios no hay mariposa

arc
^^ Has a Drumcode Tattoo

Post by arc »

You're right, that was a bit extreme. I just mean that they don't get tweaked as much as the cutoff.

And as far as making it bigger, it's just ergonomics. It feels better and allows you to dial it in with more precision (bigger circumference versus a small knob). It's all personal preference though, for me I think it's a nice touch.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

ok, just admit it, you like big tits and usily eat supersize menu's. ;)

seriously though, never thought of that : you mean since it's a bigger knob it might be more precise cause it has a bigger turning circle (or whatever you call that in english)
if that's the case, then yeah, they can make it bigger. :D

I know a guy who has some kind of educational MS-20 model hanging above his fireplace,
made with special big knobs, so it could be used in classrooms with kids. (no joke)
Imagine that !
Can you picture us hanging synths above our fireplace ? :lol:

arc
^^ Has a Drumcode Tattoo

Post by arc »

lol

As an American, I must admit that I do like things larger than your typical European might be used to. 8-)

Hanging an MS20 above the fireplace? That's just crazy. :?

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

arc wrote: As an American, I must admit that I do like things larger than your typical European might be used to. 8-)
well, I was constantly thinking about that "ah, but he's American, obviously he's brainwashed to think
"bigger = better".
But I thought I'd perhaps already pushed my limits a bit humour-wise... :lol:
arc wrote: Hanging an MS20 above the fireplace? That's just crazy. :?
exactly.
the guy has 70+ vintage synths in his home.
I'm buying an Xpander from him on sunday. Had a few hours of testing it 2 weeks ago, but that was at his office and not in his home where all the synths are.
Really curious to see all these synths sunday.
Vintage walhalla, but as far as I know they're not being used to make music.
Usually I get a bit of the creeps from collectors like that and find it a damn shame, but the guy is such a genuinly nice guy I find it hard to judge him on the fact that he's just a collector.
To each his own I guess... :D

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

I think the large cutoff is aimed at the skrillox generation.
It's all about the wub wub innit. They only use the cutoff, and as they are of the attention deficit generation they need to be reminded where the cutoff is at all times.

Wub wub-wub wub wub wub-wub wub wub wiggawiggywiggawiggy wub wub
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

well, that's kind of what I'm fearing as well...
knowing Novation, I don't really think they're gonna implement more precise knobs.

but let's wait & see I guess.

StyleCityRecord
tense

Post by StyleCityRecord »

I have the original, but the new one is really nice. Not a Moog but i think we can hear how flexible it is. Sounds better to me IMHO.
Attachments
Bstn.jpg
Bstn.jpg (51.75 KiB) Viewed 668 times