My track got mastered. Was it done in iZotope Ozon?

General Chat // Music Discussion
Mattias
subsekt
subsekt
Re: My track got mastered. Was it done in iZotope Ozon?

Post by Mattias »

msl wrote:
Lost to the Void wrote:
as for self mastering, well I compare it to cutting your own hair :)

Haha, that is a brilliant analogy!
Music Page: http://www.facebook.com/Mattias.Fridell.Music
Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/fridell
Sample packs: http://mfsamples.bandcamp.com

Contention / 005

Esh
unsure

Post by Esh »

TheBinaryMind wrote: I think many netlabels just can't deliver the professionalism that actually is required to run that kind of business. What you show here is that they even try to save money on the primary concern: the quality of music. Bad strategy for a company that should try to sell good music if you ask me.
Would love to say this to so many people.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

This is exactly my point. Just don't give them your music. If you are that desperate then you can't complain.

This kind of brings me back to buttport.
Back when I was in an industrial band we had a record deal and had to deal with all the crap that went with it, basically, getting fucked.
When I was pressing vinyl it was slightly better, dealing with distro etc, but you still got the short end of the stick, the scraps from the pie, as there were a lot of hands taking from you.
Then digital music came about, and a lot of us thought "at last, WE will have control"
And then slowly the old business model crept in.
And now we have the dark lords of buttport.
They don't care about anything, they give you the scraps of the pie, they are the biggest.
The only way to operate is to just churn out shit for them, and for a lot of labels it then becomes impossible to afford weekly mastering and decent artwork etc, they just need to meet the schedule and monetary requirements of buttport. Are slaves to it, in fact, rather than taking time to make this special, releasing when there is something to say, not because it just needs to be done.
It's why I keep telling people to walk away from it.
Bandcamp is currently the best option labels have, it is a hub, it integrates nicely with HTML plug ins, you can sell physical product, name your price etc, and you get the bigger slice of the pie.
If we all started using it, things would change.
But few have the stones to do it, they bow down to the lords of buttport, turn around and spread their asses and take whatever buttport shoves in there. In the hope that they make it to the buttport charts.
The mighty buttport charts, representing nothing but the pursuit of coin.
There is too much desperation and too little patience.

Punk rant over.

Punk is dead after all...............
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

StandardModel
skaghead

Post by StandardModel »

What did you use to do the frequency comparison between the mastered and unmastered .wavs? interested to do this myself with a couple of tracks....

Udy
brown envelope

Post by Udy »

Lost to the Void wrote: Bandcamp is currently the best option labels have, it is a hub, it integrates nicely with HTML plug ins, you can sell physical product, name your price etc, and you get the bigger slice of the pie.
But few have the stones to do it, they bow down to the lords of buttport, turn around and spread their asses and take whatever buttport shoves in there. In the hope that they make it to the buttport charts.

Punk rant over.

Indeed, I took my first label down the mass distributed route, spent money on mastering, art etc and didn't have terrible sales. After a couple of years of all that stress with next to no return I could no longer afford the mastering so I stop mass distributing it through these channels, made it free but unfortunately with that I had to start "mastering" myself and I do tend to use Ozone. However I use it minimally and I NEVER correct anything glaring at this stage, I'll always communicate with my guys and get them to understand the issue I have and fix it in the mixdown.

I started my new label Remit Sounds in this fashion and am using the contacts etc I gained to stay out there but have instead moved to Bandcamp. All releases so far have either been by myself or my partner in crime so the emphasis is very much on getting the sound right in the mix. That said, the second I can afford it again (baby, paternity leave blah blah) I'll be stumping up some cash to get proper masters done.

Beatport can suck my left nut basically.

ashley BORG
Small Penis

Post by ashley BORG »

Lost to the Void wrote:This is exactly my point. Just don't give them your music. If you are that desperate then you can't complain.

This kind of brings me back to buttport.
Back when I was in an industrial band we had a record deal and had to deal with all the crap that went with it, basically, getting fucked.
When I was pressing vinyl it was slightly better, dealing with distro etc, but you still got the short end of the stick, the scraps from the pie, as there were a lot of hands taking from you.
Then digital music came about, and a lot of us thought "at last, WE will have control"
And then slowly the old business model crept in.
And now we have the dark lords of buttport.
They don't care about anything, they give you the scraps of the pie, they are the biggest.
The only way to operate is to just churn out shit for them, and for a lot of labels it then becomes impossible to afford weekly mastering and decent artwork etc, they just need to meet the schedule and monetary requirements of buttport. Are slaves to it, in fact, rather than taking time to make this special, releasing when there is something to say, not because it just needs to be done.
It's why I keep telling people to walk away from it.
Bandcamp is currently the best option labels have, it is a hub, it integrates nicely with HTML plug ins, you can sell physical product, name your price etc, and you get the bigger slice of the pie.

Punk rant over.

Good words. Not only do the labels need to take the leap to bandcamp but so does the consumers.

What BP have managed to do is streamline the whole buying process from search to purchase. Making the whole thing less time consuming.

It's been said on here before, but nothing which is worthwhile comes easy. Finding good music and gems shouldn't be as easy as BP try to make it. When consumers accept that fact and once again realise the satisfaction that can be had from digging and directly supporting the artists, then bandcamp can hopefully contribute to a greater slice of digital sales.

Twilitez
You only live once

Post by Twilitez »

ashley BORG wrote:
Good words. Not only do the labels need to take the leap to bandcamp but so does the consumers.

What BP have managed to do is streamline the whole buying process from search to purchase. Making the whole thing less time consuming.

It's been said on here before, but nothing which is worthwhile comes easy. Finding good music and gems shouldn't be as easy as BP try to make it. When consumers accept that fact and once again realise the satisfaction that can be had from digging and directly supporting the artists, then bandcamp can hopefully contribute to a greater slice of digital sales.
I would like to point out official.fm as an alternative that seems pretty reasonable.

ross-alexander
endless

Post by ross-alexander »

yeah I wouldn't be happy if a master had reshaped the kick in my track, could be worse and flattened it out completely

endfindead
Poo Fingers

Post by endfindead »

If OP looked at the rates for Black Monolith he may reconsider mastering at home.... that's a steal Steve!

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

endfindead wrote:If OP looked at the rates for Black Monolith he may reconsider mastering at home.... that's a steal Steve!
And yet people still fill in the contact form on my website and ask for further discount. I price myself specifically to make the service affordable for the underground.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

ashley BORG
Small Penis

Post by ashley BORG »

Lost to the Void wrote:
endfindead wrote:If OP looked at the rates for Black Monolith he may reconsider mastering at home.... that's a steal Steve!
And yet people still fill in the contact form on my website and ask for further discount. I price myself specifically to make the service affordable for the underground.

Unfortunately it's the world we live in. People don't understand the idea of paying for quality.

daniaan
Unartful

Post by daniaan »

StandardModel wrote:What did you use to do the frequency comparison between the mastered and unmastered .wavs? interested to do this myself with a couple of tracks....
Think Har-Bal's been used.
I use it sometimes to get my tracks more in line with an example track.

endfindead
Poo Fingers

Post by endfindead »

Harbal means genitals in lolspeak, sadly.