General Chat // Music Discussion
Críoch
subsekt
subsekt
Re: "hipster techno" really?

Post by Críoch »

Nice one Ashley! Hahaha

Class.
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum
>> Click here for NEW POSTS on subsekt <<

Dialog I The Hole I subsekt Blog I The Bench I IG I SC I Mixes I FB

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

ashley BORG wrote:Heard a few comment last night, that the night I'm part of plays it too hard.

I was asked what's happened? does Void only play hard stuff now? I responded that Void plays proper Techno, with attitude. To which the person said well the next party may only have half the amount of people. My response to that was that at least we'd know everyone present is there for the music. Let the others goes to the more generic sounding nights

In any case the place was packed and those people who seemed to think it was too hard seemed to be showing their displeasure in a rather odd way ***dancing/jumping & fist pumping***

A classic moment I was told of from last night, was a group who walked in off Brick Lane whilst I had things going off at 137BPM, they took one look around, said what the fuck is this music? and walked back out.

DONT LET THE DOOR HIT YOU ON THE WAY!!!! :twisted:
Cafe 1001?
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

ashley BORG
Small Penis

Post by ashley BORG »

Yes 1001.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

That`s like hipster central there.
I`d like to go there on a sunday mid morning with an AK47. Take em all out, end it all right there and then.
New Shit

ashley BORG
Small Penis

Post by ashley BORG »

Lost to the Void wrote:That`s like hipster central there.
I`d like to go there on a sunday mid morning with an AK47. Take em all out, end it all right there and then.

Haha, I thought that would be your response.

Funny enough we've had some good parties there. You're correct there's always a lot of Hipsters about, a lot of them about on Sunday were the spill over from a free party across the road called Fuse which was the main draw to Brick Lane before it's venue was closed by the police. Since the majority have now moved else where.

Anyhow we have a policy of playing it as hard as possible to get rid of those types.
I'd say the majority of the people at our parties are tourists, who foreigners who live in London.

As an actual venue it's not bad.
Attachments
486435_528217557239232_1713266943_n.jpg
486435_528217557239232_1713266943_n.jpg (36.73 KiB) Viewed 1410 times

Cloaked
hunger marcher

Post by Cloaked »

diacope wrote:Yeh, if the crowd knows each other then it's 100x better!
Something that, in large part, was lost from London with the demise of so many iconic clubs in 2008. The resulting ‘secret warehouse' shite is another driver of this fashion/trend driven stuff - not to mention that they're invariably cold, austere and over crowded, with awful sound and non existent facilities (one toilet between 500, anyone?)

It’s really not surprising nobody feels any ownership, empathy or love while inside these places - both promoters and punters are using them on such an ad hoc basis.

The final problem with modern club crowds, perhaps the biggest one, is advanced ticketing - the only option promoters are now willing to risk, destroying that brilliant spontaneous thing of being in the pub and deciding who you wanted to see and where (knowing you had a good choice of reliable venues that you knew inside out.) As I said on another thread RA ticketing is now ubiquitous, and we've all seen the cunts posting on there!

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

ashley BORG wrote:
Lost to the Void wrote:That`s like hipster central there.

Haha, I thought that would be your response.

Funny enough we've had some good parties there. You're correct there's always a lot of Hipsters about, a lot of them about on Sunday were the spill over from a free party across the road called Fuse which was the main draw to Brick Lane before it's venue was closed by the police. Since the majority have now moved else where.

Anyhow we have a policy of playing it as hard as possible to get rid of those types.
I'd say the majority of the people at our parties are tourists, who foreigners who live in London.

As an actual venue it's not bad.
Yeah I have a love/hate with that place.
I used to play at a dubstep event there a while back.
It`s everything I don`t like about what has happened to brick lane (I used to live on cheshire st, just off brick lane in 1998, was a better place then) and hipster gimpster land, but it`s still one of the few places you can rock up to wankered, on a sunday morning, and know there`ll be a place to gonch out, and because of this it`s great for people watching.
I don`t think it is "the place to be scene" any more, so I think it might be better now.
It`s a good space though. And being a free venue has benefits and problems.
I`ve had great and terrible times there.

Do they still have the really badly set up Funktion 1 in there?

Fuse has been shut down?
New Shit

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Cloaked wrote:
diacope wrote:Yeh, if the crowd knows each other then it's 100x better!
Something that, in large part, was lost from London with the demise of so many iconic clubs in 2008. The resulting ‘secret warehouse' shite is another driver of this fashion/trend driven stuff - not to mention that they're invariably cold, austere and over crowded, with awful sound and non existent facilities (one toilet between 500, anyone?)

It’s really not surprising nobody feels any ownership, empathy or love while inside these places - both promoters and punters are using them on such an ad hoc basis.

The final problem with modern club crowds, perhaps the biggest one, is advanced ticketing - the only option promoters are now willing to risk, destroying that brilliant spontaneous thing of being in the pub and deciding who you wanted to see and where (knowing you had a good choice of reliable venues that you knew inside out.) As I said on another thread RA ticketing is now ubiquitous, and we've all seen the cunts posting on there!
Your right. All the great clubs, especially the more underground venues, have gone. Unfortunately priced out of the game by the rising rents and asshole developers.
Your seeing the same thing happen to Hoxton as what happened in Soho.
Became trendy, everyone wants to live there, prices go up, clubs can`t afford rents, wealthy pricks move in, clubs go, wealthy pricks get out of club life and complain about few remaining clubs, few remaining clubs close, more expensive flats appear in their place. This whole circus is getting closer and closer to where I live now, and I really don`t want to move again, but there is an increasing hipster plague happening over here in the east.
Yeah advance ticketing is fucking annoying. My old crew are back out doing free/illegal parties, promoting the old way with phone lines, and they are seeing an increase in people attending. 2 and half thousand at the last one, people walking away from clubland.
I`m considering going back to raves....again...
It always happens in a recession, people want something real again.
New Shit

ashley BORG
Small Penis

Post by ashley BORG »

Lost to the Void wrote:
It`s everything I don`t like about what has happened to brick lane (I used to live on cheshire st, just off brick lane in 1998, was a better place then) and hipster gimpster land, but it`s still one of the few places you can rock up to wankered, on a sunday morning, and know there`ll be a place to gonch out, and because of this it`s great for people watching.
I don`t think it is "the place to be scene" any more, so I think it might be better now.

Fuse has been shut down?

Yes it's still hit n miss. Yesterday it was actually up loud and really good, although the booth wasn't so great. The local residents as you know play a big role in the decibel levels they can output.

Yes fuse has moved because 93 feet east has been closed. In fact 1001 has only just started running the back room again for the first time this year.

The police and local authorities are coming down really heavy at the moment. I've just had a gig for June cancelled because the club owners can't get the clearance.

ashley BORG
Small Penis

Post by ashley BORG »

Steve I'd be interested in getting the hook up on those parties, sound exactly like the type of parties I like to go to.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

ashley BORG wrote:
Lost to the Void wrote:

Fuse has been shut down?

Yes it's still hit n miss. Yesterday it was actually up loud and really good, although the booth wasn't so great. The local residents as you know play a big role in the decibel levels they can output.

Yes fuse has moved because 93 feet east has been closed. In fact 1001 has only just started running the back room again for the first time this year.

The police and local authorities are coming down really heavy at the moment. I've just had a gig for June cancelled because the club owners can't get the clearance.
They shut down 93 feet east?

Interesting.

To be honest 1001 got away with what they got away with for well beyond what they should have.
Worrying if the pig lords are starting to come down on it all though.
New Shit

ashley BORG
Small Penis

Post by ashley BORG »

Yes a lot of sneaky tricks going on with promoters as well, due to the lack of venues to go around.
My mate has been looking for somewhere since losing his venue last week, to find that some promoters have tied up exclusive deals booking all the events which a venue can hold this year.

Off course this wouldn't be an issue if Londoners weren't so lazy. If they were willing to travel to other areas there's be no problem, but with so many parties condensed in to the East End this is where the problem lies.

P-_
Jan : )

Post by P-_ »

ashley BORG wrote:A classic moment I was told of from last night, was a group who walked in off Brick Lane whilst I had things going off at 137BPM, they took one look around, said what the fuck is this music? and walked back out.
This sounds like a party I want to go to, hipster repelling techno! Will keep an eye on future events.

Haven't really found THAT much in the way of straight up banging techno in London so far. The Plex or Porc trax nights are great when they come around, and the Don't nights are always fun and, most importantly, fresh. Have had no look in at the free party scene yet.

One thing about London is also being spoiled for choice. I'd say I can only really afford to go out once or twice a month at the moment while there's probably at least 2 things on that I'd like to see every weekend. Then my group of friends as a whole have a somewhat varied taste in electronic music so getting the whole crew to a specific gig is really hit and miss. There's plenty of gigs that get skipped here that I would've jumped to attend when I was still living in Dublin, for no other reason than I can't go to all of them.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Wow, I just watched the raid on 93 feet east on youtube. 145 pigs, some dog units and a copper chopper, only 4 drug arrests made.
Totally worth it..
New Shit

ashley BORG
Small Penis

Post by ashley BORG »

P-_ wrote:
ashley BORG wrote:A classic moment I was told of from last night, was a group who walked in off Brick Lane whilst I had things going off at 137BPM, they took one look around, said what the fuck is this music? and walked back out.
This sounds like a party I want to go to, hipster repelling techno! Will keep an eye on future events.

Haven't really found THAT much in the way of straight up banging techno in London so far. The Plex or Porc trax nights are great when they come around, and the Don't nights are always fun and, most importantly, fresh. Have had no look in at the free party scene yet.

One thing about London is also being spoiled for choice. I'd say I can only really afford to go out once or twice a month at the moment while there's probably at least 2 things on that I'd like to see every weekend. Then my group of friends as a whole have a somewhat varied taste in electronic music so getting the whole crew to a specific gig is really hit and miss. There's plenty of gigs that get skipped here that I would've jumped to attend when I was still living in Dublin, for no other reason than I can't go to all of them.

The Plex, Porc trax and Colony parties brought back home what a good party should be about. Less fanfare, good crowd, good vibes, great music.
Void is still only a young party, but hopefully it can follow in those foot steps.

Now I'm trying to ignore the names on the line up, and trying to think more about the vibe I want to be amongst when I go out, sometimes it means I won't be going where all my friends are.

gabe DM
refusenik

Post by gabe DM »

would you prefer this type of crowd instead?

youtu.be/HqjMGYHoewQ

jokes apart I also don't like parvenus only interested in pastel naive clothing, gafas de pasta (as in spanish) and totally uninterested in music. they only chase crowded places, fancy clubs and shooting pics of themselves, I know it's sad and beleive Rome is full of'em :)
I know some djs and producers who look like coming from a indie trendy magazine but who cares? think when they'll see themselves in years in some pictures how embarassing would be :D

but maybe we should care very little cause they'll move on to the next trend as quick as they migrate to techno.

care less - hate less. just keep up the good shit and exploit their interest if any genuine is.

would be interesting though to see why they are interested in techno NOW, why techno is getting trendy and see if it can stand the buzz.
Gabe DM

----------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/gabedm
http://gabedm.wordpress.com

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

gabe DM wrote:would you prefer this type of crowd instead?

youtu.be/HqjMGYHoewQ

jokes apart I also don't like parvenus only interested in pastel naive clothing, gafas de pasta (as in spanish) and totally uninterested in music. they only chase crowded places, fancy clubs and shooting pics of themselves, I know it's sad and beleive Rome is full of'em :)
I know some djs and producers who look like coming from a indie trendy magazine but who cares? think when they'll see themselves in years in some pictures how embarassing would be :D

but maybe we should care very little cause they'll move on to the next trend as quick as they migrate to techno.

care less - hate less. just keep up the good shit and exploit their interest if any genuine is.

would be interesting though to see why they are interested in techno NOW, why techno is getting trendy and see if it can stand the buzz.
Oh man, it may have looked liked a huge car pile up had happened on a beach, but Goa Hippy Trance parties in the 90`s before it became trendy with the wrong type, were awesome. The music was so so, there was some good goa in the early years (before it became full blown psychedelic trance it was pretty hard to separate some early goa from techno, red herring, plink plonk records etc), but the parties were awesome. Uninhibited, outrageously friendly, you could totally let yourself go, if that is your thing, and know that you were safe.
I mean look at them damn hippies, hardly too cool for school, compare that with some hideous Ibiza beach party of today where most of the people are just posing.
It`s hard to be a posing hipster when you have had a boat load of LSD

Yes I would prefer that crowd. As long as I had sunglasses to protect my eyes from the fluoro overload.

There is something to be said for the change in drug culture and how it has effected clubland. Charlie sees to be everyones default these days. Never a good thing.
New Shit

ashley BORG
Small Penis

Post by ashley BORG »

Lost to the Void wrote:There is something to be said for the change in drug culture and how it has effected clubland. Charlie sees to be everyones default these days. Never a good thing.
Good point often over looked.

That and the dreaded Ket & M-Kat.

simon_marklar
Pig

Post by simon_marklar »

at least you lot have an option of going out!! I'd trade my left testicle just to be able to go out somewhere playing anything other than vocal/tech house.

i was at audio injection in sydney, about 2 months ago, maybe 50 people, me being the only one constantly dancing. Shut down early due to lack of bar sales. Lets see, whens the next party... oh, there is none in the calenders.

f**k sydney.
ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

That sucks Simon..
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum
>> Click here for NEW POSTS on subsekt <<

Dialog I The Hole I subsekt Blog I The Bench I IG I SC I Mixes I FB