New members say hello...

General Chat // Music Discussion
0dd
Get in the back of the van
Re: New members say hello...

Post by 0dd »

Hello and welcome to the c(o)untry of subsekt! Ableton does seem to be the simplest daw, yet really really powerful! Do you do regular dj sets with it or some live pa as well? Nice artist picks there! Where do you come from?
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music". Aldous Huxley

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

s7ntax wrote:Been lurking in the shadows here for a while, reading all the awesome information people have posted.

I've been into Techno for over 20 years, been producing for around 15 for fun really, at home, not released anything. Still on a steep learning curve regarding production. Looking back at stuff I made 15 years ago to what I can achieve now, I have definitely learned a lot from sites like this and it shows in the quality of production. I still feel I have a lot to learn though and also a lot to give to newcomers to music production.

I used to DJ using vinyl, produce using Logic 4. Nowadays I tend to use Ableton Live for both DJ sets and production. I love what can be done with Ableton Live and in such a simple interface. It's kind of the Arch Linux philosophy for music production, 'keep it simple stupid' and I really love that and it helps keep my focus on my workflow without being bogged down with lots of menus and features.

These days I prefer to produce and DJ music styles from Dub Techno through to Dark Techno and pretty much everything in between. I love stuff like Deepchord, Basic Channel (who paved the way in this sound), Exium, Dolby D, Regis, Sandwell etc

I'm well up for working with some of you on music projects, my soundcloud username is S7ntax so you can check what I'm up to musically and if you feel we could work together on some projects please get in touch. 2 sets of ears and ideas are often better than one :)
we are sorry to inform you that unfortunately your membership is at the moment not at all welcome.

Closer investigation of your profile has made us very unhappy :

1. though we are not 100% certain, it seems that you might be white
2. we are pretty confident to say you are not female

This does not play well with our stats at all !

Do you realize folks will get seriously upset with this ?

What were you thinking at all ? :shock:

Please supply us with at least 1 pic of a colored dick* and/or 1 pic of a proper techno pussy

*anonymous colored dick pics can always be provided on request for a small fee

anyway, my cat is dying, my fucking all time favorite once in a lifetime cat,
so if I don't go overboard with absurd and politically incorrect humor right now, reality just gets too fucking close...

welcome to subsekt, you cunt ! 8-)
Sin cambios no hay mariposa

0dd

Post by 0dd »

Now that's not very nice Hades. It's called a techno vagina person
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music". Aldous Huxley

s7ntax
pregnant

Post by s7ntax »

I've built a sort of hybrid setup, I run 3 audio tracks with full tracks warped for mixing, I use various tools then to loop sections, a beat repeat for looping short parts on the fly up to 4 beats long and loop recorder for recording sections, sometimes I also create loops from whole tracks while preparing the set and use those at certain points to build upon.

For EQ I prefer to use a couple of Reaktor effects rather than Ableton stock, one is an isolator eq and the other one is a standard DJ eq built in reaktor. I use Ableton's eq8 for filters though which sounds quite nice.

I use another couple of effects on each channel for more creative stuff, a Reaktor ensemble called Multitaps which I can use in conjunction with a fader to emulate 2 copies of vinyl running 1/2 beat behind or 1 beat behind etc.

I also stripped some effects out of a Reaktor drum machine ensemble called Gonzzo Classic, i use these in my chain for triggering a reverse effect and also a kind of repeater/delay.

On a midi channel I run the Gonzzo drum machine ensemble but I've wired it through a mixer within the ensemble, loaded it with Tape 909 samples from the Goldbaby sample pack, wired the mixer with some distortion effects so it's all controllable within it's own self contained mixer, from that I can run some midi to trigger drums over the mix. I found this ensemble to be quite CPU intensive and have recently started work on a drum rack within Ableton to replace this ensemble.

I also plan to build on this setup with some synths or maybe just get to work recording some loops, this setup is still evolving so it's different each time I play a set really.

On the returns I have NI Traktor 12's for Delay, D16 Tekturon (a delay unit that I really like), MetaFlanger, and good old Ableton Ping Pong.

To control all this I use a Vestax VCM600

s7ntax
pregnant

Post by s7ntax »

haha Hades, that's fucking gold.

Unfortunately my camera is broken and I am unable to provide any cock pics are present.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

s7ntax wrote:haha Hades, that's fucking gold.

Unfortunately my camera is broken and I am unable to provide any cock pics are present.
like I said, just for a small fee,
totally anonymous...

honestly, as long as you get the fucking proper sense of humor that used to thrive this place,
then that's all that is needed at the moment. ;)

also, if I may, just a little tip : put a direct link to your SC in your sig,
people are lazy, you know, (yeah, I know, personally, I got no idea as to why they're like that, but yeah)
for some reason, they didn't believe me at first when I said I had a dark...
so yeah, naturally, I had to send them some pics...

all that effort for little to no gratitude at all...

s7ntax
pregnant

Post by s7ntax »

Hades wrote:
s7ntax wrote:haha Hades, that's fucking gold.

like I said, just for a small fee,
totally anonymous...

honestly, as long as you get the fucking proper sense of humor that used to thrive this place,
then that's all that is needed at the moment. ;)

also, if I may, just a little tip : put a direct link to your SC in your sig,
people are lazy, you know, (yeah, I know, personally, I got no idea as to why they're like that, but yeah)
for some reason, they didn't believe me at first when I said I had a dark...
so yeah, naturally, I had to send them some pics...

all that effort for little to no gratitude at all...
haha yeah, proper made me chuckle that mate.

Cheers, will update my signature now for the lazy bastards :)

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

0dd wrote:Now that's not very nice Hades. It's called a techno vagina person
it thought it was just called techno cunt,

but I gotta check with some of my techno vagina friends first to see if I get their approval...

0dd

Post by 0dd »

Repetitive electronic music loving vagene owner.
@Sy7ntax: that's a nice little thing you've got going there. I've wanted to try myself with live pa but I think I'm far away from that, in production terms. That kinda hybrid might be a nice first step.

s7ntax
pregnant

Post by s7ntax »

Yeah, I don't feel I have enough of my own material for a completely live PA. Sometimes it's nice to throw some rides into the mix or have a little jam with some Live Machines from the Reaktor user library. Mostly though I just tend to loop stuff and build a transition on that using effects.

0dd

Post by 0dd »

Do you have a mix of yours on the net?
Edit: checked your SC and found some, will listen when I get home. Talk about lazy..

s7ntax
pregnant

Post by s7ntax »

0dd wrote:Do you have a mix of yours on the net?
Edit: checked your SC and found some, will listen when I get home. Talk about lazy..
haha yeah all on SC.
This one is my fave of my recent sets.

over9000
Nor Crystal Tears

Post by over9000 »

hey s7thax!
nice to have you here

0dd

Post by 0dd »

Ok if you're gonna brag about it I'll check that one.

s7ntax
pregnant

Post by s7ntax »

0dd wrote:Where do you come from?
West Yorkshire, UK.
What about you? Also link me with your soundcloud if you have one :)

0dd

Post by 0dd »

Novi Sad, Serbia. It's Stefan Dili on SC but it's empty. I have 1 lousy excuse for a track which I made 1-2 years ago, which is my first track that went that far, but I wouldn't call it finished yet. Before that it was about a year of loop mode, and after about the same with 1-2 private tracks on SC which I posted up here, but I consider them worse than the first. In the meantime I got a child so yeah, even less music time. Sucks but is great at the same time.
Edit: and that's why I don't have SC in my sig, because it's empty, not because I'm lazy :oops:

s7ntax
pregnant

Post by s7ntax »

0dd wrote:In the meantime I got a child so yeah, even less music time. Sucks but is great at the same time.
Ah yes I know about that, I got 3 children between ages 1 and 10 and they take up most of my spare time. Between work, family and sleeping the only time I get to spend making music or recording mixes is when they are in bed, every so often I will do an all nighter and do some music stuff until 5 or 6am then suffer the consequences the next day when my kids are driving my tired ass round the bend. Gotta get my music fix though or I would go insane.

0dd

Post by 0dd »

Exactly like that. I guess music will be our retirement occupation when they're all out of the house, like some people have a garden. Fuck the garden, gimme my vsts!

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

0dd wrote:Exactly like that. I guess music will be our retirement occupation when they're all out of the house, like some people have a garden. Fuck the garden, gimme my vsts!
I can tell it's time for uncle Hades' secret gardening tip again :
when you see it running out of hand (when you happen to watch outside your studio window),
just wait long enough, mother nature will take care of the biggest part and you'll have less work to do in the end.
If you go out too soon, you'll only find bossy neighbors trying to make you aware of how shabby your garden is.

your kids can also perfectly mown the lawn when they're 3 or older.

0dd

Post by 0dd »

Or get some goats. They'll eat that shit up in a day. You can also sample and downpitch em for some nice growls. Maybe even put a cowbell on em.