Organising Collections

General Chat // Music Discussion
illit_
Gazza
Organising Collections

Post by illit_ »

I've packed 2 USBs (one 64gb, and one 32gb) and they are full but the tunes keep coming!

What are your DJ admin methods of track organising? I use the rating, tagging feature, and my hazy memory to narrow it down, and then create specific playlists of tracks that fit in with each other, but it can still yield 400+ tracks to go through, and duds can still crop up :o

Do people have any creative organising methods (this has to be the boring side of music) of getting decent tracklists?

Glad i don't have vinyl. Fuck knows how you would categorise analog objects, stickers? Post-it notes? Draw on the sleeve?! :lol:

subvers^v
hunger marcher
Re: Organising Collections

Post by subvers^v »

The thoughts of this melts my tiny brain...
I have little or no method of organising just by artist, inside that by album or release title but I just listen to stuff these days. Winamp and randomised playlists. My analysing days are done...

subvers^v
hunger marcher

Post by subvers^v »

I have vinyl but I don't know where I left it...

subvers^v
hunger marcher

Post by subvers^v »

It's a funny thing you know...

With vinyl I ust remember shit better - what's good, what kind of vibe a track has. Don't know if it's because it's a physical thing or you take the time to listen to it in a more complete way or the process is more engaging or what...but I could take 30 records and line them up as a mix even though I haven't listened to them for over 20 years (shit, that's longer than I thought, eh?!)

It's as if they are mapped out in my brain somehow...

Barfunkel
Smalahove

Post by Barfunkel »

It's difficult surely. Especially if you have a large selection of fairly similar tracks. I have about 2500 files in my collection but thankfully it's mostly well organized because I have a somewhat varied taste. The only folder giving me problem is house music. It's currently divided into 3 subfolders, old house (80's and 90's stuff), tech house (mostly not really tech house, just a collection of house music that isn't as organic sounding as normal house). Those two are fairly small. The real problem is the folder that has all the non-tech house house from the year 2000 and forwards. It's like 400 files, which is wayyy too much to browse during a DJ gig. I gotta find a way to divide it into a few subfolders that somehow make sense to me, from a DJ'ing perspective.
"I don't shower every day, but when I do, I do it after listening to some Barfunkel" - Anonymous

http://soundcloud.com/user4904810
http://www.mixcloud.com/Barfunkel/

illit_
Gazza

Post by illit_ »

Glad I'm not alone :lol: I thought as time went on you just get better at picking solid tracks and filter out the shit you don't get on with, but I've been out at parties and heard tracks I own that I have written off as being duds and they turn out to be wicked!

I've sunk into just having a current usb of the most recent 400 or so tracks but that still doesn't sit right... having smaller playlists can work if I have a vibe in mind but having the scope to branch out if it's not working becomes the trouble. Just another part of music to catastrophise :D

Interesting about having a better memory with vinyl, makes sense to me