How do you deal with "being multi-talented"?

General Chat // Music Discussion
MonoTeksist
Jan : )
How do you deal with "being multi-talented"?

Post by MonoTeksist »

I don't want to sound pompous but I can't restrict myself to make tunes in 1 or 2 genres, I've always had this "re-inventing the wheel"-thing inside me with each new project.
I really love music too much to not try my stab at movie soundtracks, drum 'n bass, epic music and my own style I don't even know how to call it.
No, to be honest: I call quite a lot of it Techno 2.0.
This means no more: 4-to-the-floor, snares on beats 2 and 4 of a bar, open hats in-between the kicks, any sort of rolls (snare or kick), hat clashes on the last 4 beats of a bar before moving on, 2-minute long breakdowns as Beatport seems to have a fetish for ...

Do some of you also "struggle" with this, of not knowing where you're at and are going music-wise?

PS: because of my disability, all of my pro-released songs will be Creative Commons. Monetary gain is not what I'm looking for. Just fame. :lol:
Well, I'm being forbidden outright to even make one Eurocent off of my music, this being my main reason for going CC.
"I had a lot of doors slammed in my face." - Joey Beltram

MonoTeksist
Re: How do you deal with "being multi-talented"?

Post by MonoTeksist »

I hope I don't get whipped for this but here are 3 examples of my diversity.
I'm sure you can't put these on the same EP. :)

2latuile
hmmmmmm...

Post by 2latuile »

Different moods indeed, but to me those three tracks have enough of your signature sound and style to not clash that much with each other.

This being said, I do understand what you mean. I like so many different genres of music - from Gregorian chant and Irish trad to punk/metal - that I can never be satisfied with one single project, and even wrt/ my electronic productions I don't "have" a given style, I just do whatever feels fine on the moment. But I'm much less creative than you so I'm fine going with the most overheard grooves and sounds xD
Lost to the Void wrote: I am unlikely to teach small children how to break someone violently (...). So I think it will be fine.
[wesellboxes] wrote: Anyone that believes in conspiracy theories has never worked in project management.

MonoTeksist

Post by MonoTeksist »

2latuile wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2023 3:11 pm
Different moods indeed, but to me those three tracks have enough of your signature sound and style to not clash that much with each other.

This being said, I do understand what you mean. I like so many different genres of music - from Gregorian chant and Irish trad to punk/metal - that I can never be satisfied with one single project, and even wrt/ my electronic productions I don't "have" a given style, I just do whatever feels fine on the moment. But I'm much less creative than you so I'm fine going with the most overheard grooves and sounds xD
Thanks for answering and listening! I always have this weird feeling I'm being ignored in here, that's why sometimes it takes a long time for me to reply if someone does comment. But I'm quite paranoid, so ...
I also understand what you mean with just doing what feels good at any given time, I think it's an instinct/impulsive thing.
I once entered a movie soundtrack contest where they told a small story, gave you a sound pack and you had to translate the story into song. Of course I didn't get to the top 3 but I didn't even know I could do that with my very limited knowledge of music theory ... I just tried stuff out. :D

But I do think it's harder to get a fanbase like that, if you do 5-10 different genres. I even have 4 D'n'B songs I don't know what to do with since the only person of that genre I listen to is Receptor.
And then there is System Of A Down, Orden Ogan, Tapping The Vein, Suicide Commando, Asche, Death Abyss, lots of movie soundtracks, folk/epic music, metalstep, death metal, ... it's mad. :)
I'm also a big fan of the voices of Clara Sorace and Úyanga Bold (especially the former). They both do mostly epic/movie soundtrack type music. Hollywood-style big. :)

You can give me a link if you have some music online. As long as it's no romantic music or hip-hop/rap I can listen to almost anything.

Ben Kohonays
Quaint

Post by Ben Kohonays »

2latuile wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2023 3:11 pm
I agree with this.
0dd wrote: Gotta love the subsekt derail ethic.

algo
Interact. Don't Spam.

Post by algo »

Yep, for me those tracks could easily sit on the same EP together. If you find you create tracks that are miles apart you could always create a new alias? or even consider combing them together and release as an album if there is a consistency between them.