Re: Dolby Atmos

Post by Lost to the Void »

Amøbe wrote:
Sun Apr 02, 2023 2:01 am
Lost to the Void wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 11:54 pm
Amøbe wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:26 am

Well that's on you to not recognize it. One thing that's different between Henke and others is not the ability to control the system. But it is a training in composing with it, which is vastly different from just putting sounds in different places.

With all that said, I generally agree with you that it's not the ideal setup for music (but some people can make it work)
WTF are you on about?
Henke is a professor of music at the Berlin University for the arts, lectures at Stanford and Studio National des Arts Contemporains in France, regularly touring galleries around the world. Did a performance at the Barbican a last year. I mean, I don't care about academic arts, I think it's bullshit, but he's not just some drug monkey making beats.

He doesn't just throw his shit into a 5.1 system, he designs the fucking systems he composes for.
Currently touring a sound and light performance extravaganza.

He knows what he is doing, it's just that surround sound sucks ass when you deal with beat based stuff.
I'm well aware of Henke's work and has interacted quite extensively with a lot of his concepts academically. The fuck I'm on about is that there's a school.of music which is a tradition of compositional music. While some of Henke's work definitely belong and outshines plenty in that area, I'd still argue that his finest moments is not in that tradition of compositional music.

Not trying to put Henke down at all, but there are others out there
Oh I don't disagree. His modern compositional stuff is a bit artwank.. But I generally find the majority of modern electronic compositional stuff is artwank.
Most of the time when I see/hear it, the experience is

"that was clever" and then I never listen to it again.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

Amøbe
Moderate

Post by Amøbe »

Lost to the Void wrote:
Sat Apr 08, 2023 6:10 pm
Amøbe wrote:
Sun Apr 02, 2023 2:01 am
Lost to the Void wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 11:54 pm

WTF are you on about?
Henke is a professor of music at the Berlin University for the arts, lectures at Stanford and Studio National des Arts Contemporains in France, regularly touring galleries around the world. Did a performance at the Barbican a last year. I mean, I don't care about academic arts, I think it's bullshit, but he's not just some drug monkey making beats.

He doesn't just throw his shit into a 5.1 system, he designs the fucking systems he composes for.
Currently touring a sound and light performance extravaganza.

He knows what he is doing, it's just that surround sound sucks ass when you deal with beat based stuff.
I'm well aware of Henke's work and has interacted quite extensively with a lot of his concepts academically. The fuck I'm on about is that there's a school.of music which is a tradition of compositional music. While some of Henke's work definitely belong and outshines plenty in that area, I'd still argue that his finest moments is not in that tradition of compositional music.

Not trying to put Henke down at all, but there are others out there
Oh I don't disagree. His modern compositional stuff is a bit artwank.. But I generally find the majority of modern electronic compositional stuff is artwank.
Most of the time when I see/hear it, the experience is

"that was clever" and then I never listen to it again.
There's a lot of it that's quite shitty!

I sometimes work as a critic of this music, so I follow it (sometimes unintentionally) quite close, and while there's a lot of bollocks, there's also some that are really well done and can give you some very wonderful experiences

Amøbe
Moderate

Post by Amøbe »