Fed up with Beatport and Bandcamp so I've made Artcore.

General Chat // Music Discussion
subvers^v
hunger marcher
Re: Fed up with Beatport and Bandcamp so I've made Artcore.

Post by subvers^v »

orbita wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 2:55 pm
subvers^v wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 2:39 pm
Nothing on there about who/where you are?
Just saying, it all seems very anonymous...
Hi, Thanks -
It mentions where we're based on the T+C page but yes I appreciate it's a bit out of the way and there's not much more than that.

So I'll see if I can add a bit more and make it more visible. what kind of information would be of interest?
I have a suspicion of any commercial site that isn't very transparent.

I have to ask why you are not going the web 3 route or how you think your site will measure up to what that offers?! Are you building with a conversion in mind?

orbita
broke

Post by orbita »

subvers^v wrote:
Sun Feb 26, 2023 12:32 pm
I have a suspicion of any commercial site that isn't very transparent.
Yes understandable.
subvers^v wrote:
Sun Feb 26, 2023 12:32 pm
I have to ask why you are not going the web 3 route or how you think your site will measure up to what that offers?! Are you building with a conversion in mind?
For a few reasons.
1. It's not quite clear what real tangible benefits it brings to artists or fans yet. Theres a lot of smoke and mirrors and potential but it seems like a bit of a gold rush aimed at speculators. You mentioned transparency above - whilst the block chain itself is transparent, what sits above it doesn't appear to be.
4. It's getting crowded already and it's difficult to see what niche one might try to fill.
5. I know of web3 businesses that started to succeed then crashed because they picked the wrong tech parter.
6. And probably the biggest one of all is that I'd rather solve a problem that I actually have. As a DJ/Producer Bandcamp and Beatport were not fully meeting my needs. I have a million ideas how to improve on it so I can just get on and implement those. If I was doing a web3 thing I'd have to come up with some new idea and hope it was the right one.

Having said that, as Artcore grows, if there are aspects of web3 etc that I believe would benefit Artcore users, then I can introduce them. I have played with the tech and I some ideas about how that might work. So yes, some kind of "conversion" or hybrid might happen.

I'm also interested in your ideas and thoughts how it might fit in or what you would hope web3 to bring you as an artist, fan, dj etc. Maybe it's something I can add.

orbita
broke

Post by orbita »

Hi, Just want to let you know we've been busy on Artcore. We've update the design so it's looking nicer. We've got new filterable track and release pages for artists and labels. There is now an option to pay with CC/debit as well as paypal and we were featured in SOS and SonicState recently.

Cheers, Tom

timc3
Back Bling

Post by timc3 »

Good job! Will have to check it out, I saw that you got mentioned by SOS & SonicState - that was a win.

subvers^v
hunger marcher

Post by subvers^v »

Looking good.

I was just reading headlines about what is going on with Bandcamp. Think you could gave a whole team there ready to do battle...

subvers^v
hunger marcher

Post by subvers^v »

In relation to web3, I was thinking about how mixes were sent around on cassette and copied and passed on "back in the day". It would be interesting to see if the same thing could be done with an NFT album or EP where the artist sells it first but builds in a small percentage every time it's sold on. I'll admit my knowledge is limited but was reading about NFTs and it looked like this contract type had some potential to reflect the value of art in a more beneficial way for the original artist...