Energy shite

General Chat // Music Discussion
Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt
Energy shite

Post by Lost to the Void »

So, this is a new common conversation.

Who's seeing how far into autumn they can go before they turn on the heating?
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

chava
You only live once
Re: Energy shite

Post by chava »

Dunno, maybe we can go to 1/11. It's really a crazy situation. Back to the 70s. Who'd expected that?

EDIT: My girlfriend just caved in and started the heaters. Oh well..

jordanneke
subsekt
subsekt

Post by jordanneke »

This is fucked.

Energy bill went up from 180 a month to 600.

At this rate it’ll be cheaper to buy a kilo of coke, snort it and generate body heat that way.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

jordanneke wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 1:33 pm
This is fucked.

At this rate it’ll be cheaper to buy a kilo of coke, snort it and generate body heat that way.
I was thinking about chopping up and burning politicians to keep warm.
New Shit

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

310040115_5210775222364116_6506053547167883394_n.jpg
310040115_5210775222364116_6506053547167883394_n.jpg (52.65 KiB) Viewed 24335 times
New Shit

jordanneke
subsekt
subsekt

Post by jordanneke »

Lost to the Void wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 2:27 pm
jordanneke wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 1:33 pm
This is fucked.

I was thinking about chopping up and burning politicians to keep warm.
Mate, they have colder blood than a snake on Hoth. Burning them may actually may actually make your house colder.

subvers^v
hunger marcher

Post by subvers^v »

Food is the big one...

subvers^v
hunger marcher

Post by subvers^v »

Amøbe
Moderate

Post by Amøbe »

I get ticks whenever our contractors turn on their power tools

subvers^v
hunger marcher

Post by subvers^v »

Amøbe wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 6:56 pm
They'll be working nights next, when labour is cheaper than electricity! ..

mindstuff
hmmmmmm...

Post by mindstuff »

Maybe we (the US) can send your country $65 billion so you can burn that for heating.

Amøbe
Moderate

Post by Amøbe »

subvers^v wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:12 pm
Amøbe wrote:
They'll be working nights next, when labour is cheaper than electricity! ..
I like this suggestion 8-)

subvers^v
hunger marcher

Post by subvers^v »

A bit of a fucked up idea alright!
Anyway, most stuff on battery now.
Health and safety and all that jazz...another racket ..

timc3
Back Bling

Post by timc3 »

Amøbe wrote:
Lol! I am not the only one then. At least they are half way through the build now.

Have spot pricing on the electric, so I am watching like a hawk. Thought https://euenergy.live was interesting, though I have no idea why the UK is not considered part of Europe. It's going to be a cold hungry winter for a lot of people :cry:

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

I`m just thankfull we renewed our mortgage last year on a fixed rate, and we`ve paid 3/4 of it off.
Mortgage rates are going to hit the fucking roof.
New Shit

subvers^v
hunger marcher

Post by subvers^v »

We were looking at 10-year fixed when we renewed. Unheard of but regret not doing it now as rates could only ever go up really.

Not sure about the UK rates but in Ireland the banks have always been robbing people, 1% or so higher than other EU countries (only Greece was higher!)

1% of huge is pretty big...
They can pretty much do what suits them ..

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

subvers^v wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:17 pm
We were looking at 10-year fixed when we renewed. Unheard of but regret not doing it now as rates could only ever go up really.

Not sure about the UK rates but in Ireland the banks have always been robbing people, 1% or so higher than other EU countries (only Greece was higher!)

1% of huge is pretty big...
They can pretty much do what suits them ..
Yeah man, I`m not a financial expert by any means but fixed rate, unless you buy at a time when rates are insane, always seemed the sensible path.
We bought in london, which through sheer demand is generally less vulnerable to market fluctuations, in residential property terms, unless you are in the zone 1-2 area where prices are artificially pumped up by all the dodgy chinese and russian money flooding in.
I`m not sure about how things work in the rest of UK, but London is like Sydney and all the other big hub cities ie fucking everything to do with property is a rip off. A rip off in the worst possible, in every worst possible way, and an absolute horror show in every step of the process, from viewing to completion.
Navigating that shit to get a decent property for a (relatively) affordable price was a fucking nightmare. A year long fucking nightmare.
I will never do it again (as in, buy a place in a hub city). If we move, it's not to a city.
You can pay a half mil for a fucking bedsit the size of a toilet, and be treated like you don't fucking deserve it, and everyone is doing you a favor by allowing you to give them your money for the toilet.

We didn`t buy a toilet... In london terms we bought a fucking mansion, but I know this city like the back of my hand and I`ve always been good at finding and spotting areas that sit nicely hidden between the extremes of absolute horror zones of crime and depravity and ridiculous overpriced gentrified "Oh yes Zanthony, this whole area used to be old workhouses populated by crackheads and squatters, hard to imagine that now, looking at the Balenciaga sponsored artesan bakery bookshop" zones. I`ve managed to navigate london most of my adult life being one step ahead of gentrification. As soon as the first artesanal bookshop bakery record store yoga studio arrives we`ve moved on. I`m like a curse to an area. Where I go, gentrification follows.
So we basically got a decent sized house with a nice garden, at a (in london terms) affordable price in an area where I don`t worry about the missus coming home after dark, that has loads of transport links to the centre but didn`t have a hip reputation at all, quite the opposite in fact, it had a terrible reputation, but the reality is the opposite and people really, at the time, were mostly unaware of this unless they lived there. We got in about 4 years before it became unaffordable (prices doubled when crossrail went live). It`s got lovely rough edges and character, it`s a last holdout of "real" east end london, proper melting pot community intermingling with old east london types.
BUT, already gentrification is happening 1.5 miles east of us, new flash highrise flats with ground floor artist studios, and once the artists move in, things change quickly. The little run down but great group of shops round the corner from me has lost it`s greasy cafe and now has a coffee shop, and a new bubble tea and waffle house has just opened next to that, replacing the indian food grocers next door. The shop literally just over the road from me, a little polish shop that supplied all the home comforts for the polish workers who populated the area shut down in the pandemic. Now it`s reopened as a poncey bar and grillhouse. We got new riverfront properties being built on the remains of a huge industrial area to the south of us. All the east end charm will be drained out of this area in no time. London is mental.
New Shit

subvers^v
hunger marcher

Post by subvers^v »

Yeah, it's a global thing. The sad thing is the guy running the bubble tea shop prob has a franchise of them built on the hard work of his Da selling fruit in the local market that it replaced. Human nature is mental ..

subvers^v
hunger marcher

Post by subvers^v »

I just watched about fentanyl in Vancouver on Netflix. It's pretty grim. There was a part where they said drug users and homelessness used to be spread out across so many blocks but that it has now been squeezed down to a few blocks, with cops basically keeping it "contained". There was also a radio voiceover excerpt played about a discussion on what to do about the "pesky opioid problem". Fuck me, where does it end? ..

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

subvers^v wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:45 pm
Yeah, it's a global thing. The sad thing is the guy running the bubble tea shop prob has a franchise of them built on the hard work of his Da selling fruit in the local market that it replaced. Human nature is mental ..
You may well be fairly accurate in that assumption.

But, I DO like bubble tea. So...erm.
New Shit