Howdy -Long time no see

General Chat // Music Discussion
speen
unsure
Re: Howdy -Long time no see

Post by speen »

It's good to see the forum waking up after summer holidays again 8-)

Amøbe
Moderate

Post by Amøbe »

timc3 wrote:
Mon Aug 29, 2022 9:30 am
Amøbe wrote:
Sun Aug 28, 2022 7:00 pm
Yeah - it's definitely the biggest expense of the renovation, and that's exactly why. Apparently a lot of the chemicals that removes the grout aren't so good friends with whatever you put between the tiles (silicone? My English vocabulary is apparently really not trimmed for talking about bathrooms :lol:)
Grout is kind of water, cement and sand often with colour, which is Fog or Kakelfog/Klinkerfog in Swedish. Silicon is used on joints, like where the toilet meets the floor. My guess is the hard water deposits minerals (called scale in English) in the grout and on the tiles when it dries and that causes problems, particularly when trying to remove it.

These words in other languages are hard if you don't use them often! Sometimes even the same word has a different meaning between English and Swedish. Further complication is British English and American English use different words for the same thing - Plasterboard (gipsskiva) is Drywall. Though American drywall is basically rubbish compared to the European stuff, hence why you can actually throw people through walls in America. :D
Haha yeah - I guess I haven't really discussed anything related to renovation in English before 😅

The scale is the issue, just like you said :)

Amøbe
Moderate

Post by Amøbe »

speen wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:03 pm
It's good to see the forum waking up after summer holidays again 8-)
We just needed a good derailing :lol:

Amøbe
Moderate

Post by Amøbe »

Lost to the Void wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 5:46 pm
Ah, that`s our next big job, the bathroom. We just paid for new double glazing and composite door for the front of the house.
Once that is done, it means I can finish my music room (as it contains one of the windows that will be replaced), which has kinda become a bit of a storage area until shit is done. So once the new window is in, I can get my custom desk ordered, get that installed, fit some sound treatment and get all the streaming shit sorted too.
Knock on of that is that the walk in closet/wardrobe that is next to the music room, can be finished. As it also gets a new window. Once that is done, lino for the floor, fit all the closet fittings, then the missus has a nice changing room etc.
THEN we can finally do the bathroom, which we are converting into a wet room.
And I also need to get aircon fitted to the mastering room, because heatwaves are going to be regular.

Owning a house is a fucking madness.
Wauw that was quite a few projects you've got lined up! How old is your house?

chava
You only live once

Post by chava »

Hello all. Nice to see the forum waking up again. Funny how this has turned into a home maintenance thread as I also are doing a new bathroom which is the worst fucking idea we ever got.

Musicwise nothing is happening I guess. Still waiting for the 90s revival start reviving that which really needs to be revived instead of trying to resuscitate hard trance or whatever..

Amøbe
Moderate

Post by Amøbe »

chava wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 8:01 am
Hello all. Nice to see the forum waking up again. Funny how this has turned into a home maintenance thread as I also are doing a new bathroom which is the worst fucking idea we ever got.

Musicwise nothing is happening I guess. Still waiting for the 90s revival start reviving that which really needs to be revived instead of trying to resuscitate hard trance or whatever..
Nice seeing you again :)

I'm hoping for an updated version of minimal techno to come around any day now (I'd love to hear Mills music that utilises the tools we have available again today)

as far as home maintenance - are you doing it yourself, or are you hiring someone to do it?

chava
You only live once

Post by chava »

Amøbe wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 9:49 am
chava wrote:

I'm hoping for an updated version of minimal techno to come around any day now (I'd love to hear Mills music that utilises the tools we have available again today)

as far as home maintenance - are you doing it yourself, or are you hiring someone to do it?
No we're not doing it ourselves. So it is costly as F***, but only that there is so many decisions that needs to be taken which does my head in. And honestly, redoing bathroom (maybe kitchens as well) will test your relationship to the max.

..Still finding bits and pieces amongst the 90s techno debris laying around, and I do believe there are aesthetics that still needs to be explored and never fully realized. This keeps me motivated and optimistic on techno as a "whole".

I am not agreeing with the notion that updating whatever style with the "tools we have today"-thing. I think it is too centered on technological advancement. I'd rather like to hear whatever style with the _perspective_ we have today. As then you hear some old stuff you loved as a teen 20 years later, it is not only or always a feeling of nostalgia, it is sometimes just WTF? where they thinking, or even OMG that's so boring..etc. Times and perspectived changed, not only the tools available.

Amøbe
Moderate

Post by Amøbe »

chava wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 10:09 am
Amøbe wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 9:49 am
chava wrote:

No we're not doing it ourselves. So it is costly as F***, but only that there is so many decisions that needs to be taken which does my head in. And honestly, redoing bathroom (maybe kitchens as well) will test your relationship to the max.

..Still finding bits and pieces amongst the 90s techno debris laying around, and I do believe there are aesthetics that still needs to be explored and never fully realized. This keeps me motivated and optimistic on techno as a "whole".

I am not agreeing with the notion that updating whatever style with the "tools we have today"-thing. I think it is too centered on technological advancement. I'd rather like to hear whatever style with the _perspective_ we have today. As then you hear some old stuff you loved as a teen 20 years later, it is not only or always a feeling of nostalgia, it is sometimes just WTF? where they thinking, or even OMG that's so boring..etc. Times and perspectived changed, not only the tools available.
I'm also quite surprised that my girlfriend and I are still talking - it's a tough period!

The way you presented it was actually also more in line with what I meant. I just meant that I liked to hear that strain of minimal techno being brought up and revisited (but not just as a pastiche - something new has to be added)

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Amøbe wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 6:50 am
Lost to the Void wrote:
Ah, that`s our next big job, the bathroom. We just paid for new double glazing and composite door for the front of the house.
Once that is done, it means I can finish my music room (as it contains one of the windows that will be replaced), which has kinda become a bit of a storage area until shit is done. So once the new window is in, I can get my custom desk ordered, get that installed, fit some sound treatment and get all the streaming shit sorted too.
Knock on of that is that the walk in closet/wardrobe that is next to the music room, can be finished. As it also gets a new window. Once that is done, lino for the floor, fit all the closet fittings, then the missus has a nice changing room etc.
And I also need to get aircon fitted to the mastering room, because heatwaves are going to be regular.

Built in 1928. Doing the music room will be easy once the new window is in. I`m not going to be going crazy with sound treatment, I don`t really need to.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

Amøbe
Moderate

Post by Amøbe »

Lost to the Void wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 2:54 pm
Amøbe wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 6:50 am
Lost to the Void wrote:

Built in 1928. Doing the music room will be easy once the new window is in. I`m not going to be going crazy with sound treatment, I don`t really need to.
Ah yeah - our apartment is from around 1910 (it used to be a small bar until the 80s - there where billard rules, written on the walls, once we took the wallpaper down :lol:), but I guess that just call for some maintanance every now and then. Apparently all the drainage pipes (which used to be made in cast iron) needs to be shifted in our burrough these years.

I really hope it won't need a lot more work in the future after this is done!

borg
Lifer

Post by borg »

I just realized I only posted once last year... Didn't really mean to leave the place (did check quite regularly though), but it was just a decision to try and have more taste of real life. I didn't have the best of times the last five years (hey, but who has???), so after climbing out of this depression, I felt I needed to change some things.
Have been out more this year than the previous ten combined.
Anyhow, this has been a pivotal year for me! In September 2021 I decided to leave the life of a theatre engineer after 20 years. 30th of June was my last day, and that's when I did my first live set in more than 20 years, just for friends and colleagues. Everyone, including myself had a blast! Had so much fun and adrenalin! My workmates had turned our smallest venue into a proper club as to my wishes: dark, minimal but tasteful lights, smoke and oldskool soundsystem (some old MeyerSound MTSs and subs).
Fell into a black hole after that. The season had been super busy due to corona postponed performances being squeezed into the regular program, and on top of that my own set. So mid July I realized that my new life had just started and first things first: Home improvement! Ha!! Yeah, it's the running gag around here, but I started three years ago, dividing the house into compartments and tearing stuff down, but then got into that depression, and corona,... I got lucky finding a decent, cheap and readily available plasterer, and that forced my to dive in. So much has happened in five weeks (electricity, some plumbing, reviving old wooden flooring,..., painting), just only needing a new linoleum floor for kitchen/dining room, and a new kitchen, just for kicks as savings are worth nothing nowadays. I have been living just fine in only a quarter of my house the last three years, that I don't know what to do with the space. I'm convinced I'll be selling in a few years time and go Tiny House when legislation has caught up.

I'll be starting a training as bike engineer in a few weeks...

No more music since the live gig, doing an improv with my two new toys (LXR2 and ZenDelay) for my 50th, this Friday. I only unpacked them and had one go, but these are so much fun and hands on. Steve, you've always wanted a hardware MicroTonic? The LXR2 is as close as it gets, imho...

In a nutshell...
Andy
the lunatics are in the hall...

Amøbe
Moderate

Post by Amøbe »

borg wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 11:58 pm
I just realized I only posted once last year... Didn't really mean to leave the place (did check quite regularly though), but it was just a decision to try and have more taste of real life. I didn't have the best of times the last five years (hey, but who has???), so after climbing out of this depression, I felt I needed to change some things.
Have been out more this year than the previous ten combined.
Anyhow, this has been a pivotal year for me! In September 2021 I decided to leave the life of a theatre engineer after 20 years. 30th of June was my last day, and that's when I did my first live set in more than 20 years, just for friends and colleagues. Everyone, including myself had a blast! Had so much fun and adrenalin! My workmates had turned our smallest venue into a proper club as to my wishes: dark, minimal but tasteful lights, smoke and oldskool soundsystem (some old MeyerSound MTSs and subs).
Fell into a black hole after that. The season had been super busy due to corona postponed performances being squeezed into the regular program, and on top of that my own set. So mid July I realized that my new life had just started and first things first: Home improvement! Ha!! Yeah, it's the running gag around here, but I started three years ago, dividing the house into compartments and tearing stuff down, but then got into that depression, and corona,... I got lucky finding a decent, cheap and readily available plasterer, and that forced my to dive in. So much has happened in five weeks (electricity, some plumbing, reviving old wooden flooring,..., painting), just only needing a new linoleum floor for kitchen/dining room, and a new kitchen, just for kicks as savings are worth nothing nowadays. I have been living just fine in only a quarter of my house the last three years, that I don't know what to do with the space. I'm convinced I'll be selling in a few years time and go Tiny House when legislation has caught up.

I'll be starting a training as bike engineer in a few weeks...

No more music since the live gig, doing an improv with my two new toys (LXR2 and ZenDelay) for my 50th, this Friday. I only unpacked them and had one go, but these are so much fun and hands on. Steve, you've always wanted a hardware MicroTonic? The LXR2 is as close as it gets, imho...

In a nutshell...
that definitely seems like some pivotal years! Great to hear you are back playing again (I had my eyes on the LXR2 or the Syntakt for my next device - I really like the sound of the LXR2!) :)

And take care of yourself!

timc3
Back Bling

Post by timc3 »

Lost to the Void wrote:
We got new windows in this years as well, really cut down on the noise from outside, and also helped keep heat in - going to need that to offset the rising costs of heating this winter. :cry:

Your mastering room is run as a business isn't it? Can you expense that on the business?
Lost to the Void wrote:
Seems like that at times, though I think it helped my sanity during lock down with all four of us at home

timc3
Back Bling

Post by timc3 »

chava wrote:
Lots of small decisions. I wrote some software to track it a while back, but had to abandon it due to lack of time and now just use Trello. And then there is the cleanup (perhaps that is just our builders - no, the metal/plastic/your lunch waste can not go into the wood recycling pile). And for some fucking reason trades people start onsite at 7:00am here, and can even turn up before that but will start with an SDS+ Drill at 7:00am or a lengthy discussion on something that I really don't want to be caring about before I have even woken up.. They should be in bed with a hangover at that time like normal people.
chava wrote:
Interesting, you will have to show us more when you are exploring..

Amøbe
Moderate

Post by Amøbe »

timc3 wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:04 pm

And for some fucking reason trades people start onsite at 7:00am here, and can even turn up before that but will start with an SDS+ Drill at 7:00am or a lengthy discussion on something that I really don't want to be caring about before I have even woken up.. They should be in bed with a hangover at that time like normal people.
haha, our workers have been nice and said that they'll postpone meeting until 8+ am, when it is inside a private home. As someone who is notoriously a B-type of person, I really appreciate this :lol:

Mslwte
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mslwte »

It's so good to see you all here having a chatter!

Congratulations Steve!
https://soundcloud.com/mslwte
https://noizefacilityrecords.bandcamp.com
https://www.instagram.com/subsekt909
https://www.facebook.com/subsekt909/
Lost to the Void wrote:Fuck off, get some tequila down ya neck and make some noise you cunt....

over9000
Nor Crystal Tears

Post by over9000 »

just let me renovate all your houses, ill bring 1 or two mates and it will be done in 1 Month approx.
I can have a nice Europe tour and you dont have to deal with that shit ;)

chava
You only live once

Post by chava »

timc3 wrote:

chava wrote:
Radioactive Lamb is just one example of many of an aesthetic techno never really 'accepted' and became the more stale because of that:

https://www.discogs.com/label/10975-Radioactive-Lamb

Amøbe
Moderate

Post by Amøbe »

over9000 wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 3:01 pm
just let me renovate all your houses, ill bring 1 or two mates and it will be done in 1 Month approx.
I can have a nice Europe tour and you dont have to deal with that shit ;)
WHY DIDN'T YOU SAY THIS BEFORE THE SUMMER BEGAN :lol:

Amøbe
Moderate

Post by Amøbe »

chava wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 6:06 pm
timc3 wrote:

chava wrote:
Radioactive Lamb is just one example of many of an aesthetic techno never really 'accepted' and became the more stale because of that:

https://www.discogs.com/label/10975-Radioactive-Lamb
I'll be checking that out tomorrow!