- Neon Genesis --> all :)
- Gunsmith Cats
- Ghibli Stuff --> sort of everything by them
- Gainax in general
- Final Fantasy OVAs
- Castlevania a bit.
- Lupin 3
- Castle in the Sky

Any other tips by subsekt users, would be interesting what you guys and girls like?

Grtz bradley
Less is not always more.

Amøbe
Moderate
Re: Anime Tips by you

Post by Amøbe »

Well you left out two of my favourite films - ghost in the shell, and Akira! They are just magical both of them, but Akira is also crazy to watch, if you know about hand drawn animation. Two of the most time consuming things to animate is panning around something that moves and smoke. Try to notice - if you watch it - how insanely much panning (especially the motorcycle scenes) and smoke that film contains :D

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Ninja Scroll is another classic.
A retelling of the story of Jubei, with the 9 foes/demons motif of Japanese folklore.
Beautiful animation and character design.

Ghost in the shell Standalone Complex series 1 and 2 are peak Shirow Masamune. Capturing the Graphic novel spirit more than the movie.

Afro Samurai is amazing.

I would also add the recent Batman Ninja. Its a crazy Japanese reinterpretation of batman, in Anime, via edo period steam punk bushido crazyness. Its a unique trip.

Redline. Produced by madhouse, so you know its special. A ridiculously high octane future Sci fi version of Wacky Races. Anime turned up to 11.

Dead Leaves. Another high octane insaneorama. There is nothing else like this. Violent, explosive, insane, funny, with very unique animation style. A scifi heist movie for the ADHD generation. Way ahead of its time.

Arcane. Very recent, based on the league of legends game, which I have never played, so it doesn't matter if you haven't. Really quite stunning animation. Usually 3D cell shading trying to look like hand drawn just looks cheap. This however looks like a digital painting. Beautiful. Great story too, I'd love a second series.

Also
Attack on Titan
Psycho Pass
Hellsing Ultimate
Devilman Crybaby
Altered Carbon anime

My most recent faves.

Dorohedoro - A fucked up Sci fi with fantasy elements about a man who had his head turned into an alligator head by a wizard from another dimension, and his adventures for retribution with his Gyoza making kick ass lady friend.
It's a lot more bleak and violent than it sounds.

One Punch Man. Just watch it.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

Evert
who is it?

Post by Evert »

Some of my favourites that pop into my head right now:

- Monster (I recommend this to everyone as I loved it to bits)
- Texhnolyze
- Terror in Resonance
- Seirei no Moribito
- Shigurui
- The disastrous life of Saiki K (on Netflix)

ekwipt
Smore

Post by ekwipt »

Legend of the Overfiend is my all time favorite, so brutal for the 90s, I was listening to Pantera and Slayer at the time, before moving on to hardcore, then drum and bass and techno .

loug
Pig

Post by loug »

overfiend is a classic
Shigurui, modern stuff, blood and more blood, and artistic visuals, can't go wrong, if you liked Ninja Scroll I think you will like this one too,
Vampire hunter D, classic too

timc3
Back Bling

Post by timc3 »

ekwipt wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:33 am
Legend of the Overfiend is my all time favorite, so brutal for the 90s, I was listening to Pantera and Slayer at the time, before moving on to hardcore, then drum and bass and techno .
Thanks! I had forgotten all about that one, and I probably still have the VHS somewhere.

Good lists above but Akira is still one of my all time favourites through.

Bradley1602
Alf Garnett

Post by Bradley1602 »

Amøbe wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:54 pm
Well you left out two of my favourite films - ghost in the shell, and Akira! They are just magical both of them, but Akira is also crazy to watch, if you know about hand drawn animation. Two of the most time consuming things to animate is panning around something that moves and smoke. Try to notice - if you watch it - how insanely much panning (especially the motorcycle scenes) and smoke that film contains :D
Thx for the explanation. I have seen both of them.
Just they are both not my favourites in terms of plot. I found akira too dark and dystopiaan for my likes.
Ghost in the shell I liked more.
I still will rewatxch akira at some point.

The ghost in the shell ps1 game has an amazing soundtrack.
Less is not always more.

Evert
who is it?

Post by Evert »

If you're not into dark/bleak stuff, then maybe Monster and Texhnolyze are not the best recommendations for you.
Seirei no Moribito still fits the bill in that case.

Divjak
slipper

Post by Divjak »

Some of my favorite action stuff is mentioned so I will list more chill shows that I watch before going to sleep. Hanasaku Iroha and Samurai Champloo were memorable. I also enjoyed more weeby shit like Konosuba, found it pretty funny and stupid. Also Grimgar: Ashes and Illusions was nice and comfy watch. Oh and food wars (Shokugeki no Souma) I like that shit.
Scratch a liberal and a fascist bleeds.

Belka
Wastedddd

Post by Belka »

i highly recommend Ajin on Netflix, one of the best Animes in their whole Portfolio... especially the 2nd Season is really really good, no black and white, really liked the main villain! Some cruel Scenes too... Main Character is a bit whinerly in the first few episodes if i remember correctly but it gets better
youtu.be/wpkNlozIbpw

The whole Street Fighter Arcade Fighting Animes like Baki or Kengan Ashura are super entertaining too!
Most stupid Anime was Goblin Slayer ... he slays goblins ... go watch it.

Amøbe
Moderate

Post by Amøbe »

Bradley1602 wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:59 pm
Amøbe wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:54 pm
Thx for the explanation. I have seen both of them.
Just they are both not my favourites in terms of plot. I found akira too dark and dystopiaan for my likes.
Ghost in the shell I liked more.
I still will rewatxch akira at some point.

The ghost in the shell ps1 game has an amazing soundtrack.
If you are not too into dystopia, then I can understand why it wouldn't be too much down your lane :) (I find a lot of beauty in stuff breaking apart :D )

Oh yeah - I completely forgot about that soundtrack! It is absolutely bangers - I first heard it, when I was digitizing the Danish Broadcasting Corporation's music collection as a student. It totally blew my mind :D

Divjak
slipper

Post by Divjak »

Belka wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 2:38 pm
Thanks for the recommendation, I like stupid anime. This was a solid show to watch... It only left some bitter taste because the sexual assault theme was written lazily (especially first episode). Still, good show enjoyed it. 8-)

Belka
Wastedddd

Post by Belka »

Divjak wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 4:20 pm
Belka wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 2:38 pm
Thanks for the recommendation, I like stupid anime. This was a solid show to watch... It only left some bitter taste because the sexual assault theme was written lazily (especially first episode). Still, good show enjoyed it. 8-)
The lazy sexual assaults are the part where this anime gained my full attention :lol:

Bradley1602
Alf Garnett

Post by Bradley1602 »

- Currenztly started spy x family. Good one!
- Maison Ikkoku was okayy, its by the creator of ranma 1/2
- Started the first gundam show. The orig.
Man what to say. What a revelation. So much inspiration for metal gear and evangelion. Instant love
Less is not always more.

Divjak
slipper

Post by Divjak »

Watched first episode of Chainsaw man and boy oh boy they nailed the vibes. I read the manga and did not expect it to be this good of an adaptation. Hope other episodes keep up :D

Belka
Wastedddd

Post by Belka »

Divjak wrote:
Tue Oct 11, 2022 10:53 pm
Watched first episode of Chainsaw man and boy oh boy they nailed the vibes. I read the manga and did not expect it to be this good of an adaptation. Hope other episodes keep up :D
where did you watched it?

Divjak
slipper

Post by Divjak »

Belka wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 1:17 pm
Divjak wrote:
Tue Oct 11, 2022 10:53 pm
where did you watched it?
I will DM you :mrgreen:

Amøbe
Moderate

Post by Amøbe »

started watching cowboy bebop on Netflix earlier. It was waaaay cooler than I thought (the stills have always seemed rather silly, and there's always a corgi hanging out)

Belka
Wastedddd

Post by Belka »

Amøbe wrote:
Thu Oct 13, 2022 9:09 am
started watching cowboy bebop on Netflix earlier. It was waaaay cooler than I thought (the stills have always seemed rather silly, and there's always a corgi hanging out)
Definitly in my Top3 All Times