My health is such a mess

General Chat // Music Discussion
Ben Kohonays
Quaint
Re: My health is such a mess

Post by Ben Kohonays »

subvers^v wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:26 pm
Somebody at some point thought this was all good marketing.
I agree that someone has made the decision to use that packaging, but is it marketing or indoctrination? Get 'em while they're young....
0dd wrote: Gotta love the subsekt derail ethic.

subvers^v
hunger marcher

Post by subvers^v »

Naive ignorance maybe, I can't imagine it was a purposely racist-driven thing. I guess you would have to look at the context of when it was used, who had the final say on it and why they deemed it a good move. I wonder if this kind of thing was ever put under a microscope. It would be interesting to know more about it ..

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Ah.. it is racism. If they were conscious of history & other peoples feelings, they wouldn't have used the minstrel / golly images.

Lyons Tea in Ireland had a massive campaign with Minstrels , for decades.. right up to the 90s possibly. Can't remember. You could get tokens and put them towards cups, radios and household items I recall.. and then there was the car giveaway. Knew of someone locally who won a small runaround with them. Mad times.

Do they still have Galaxy Minstrels sweets actually? Must look tomorrow.
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum
>> Click here for NEW POSTS on subsekt <<

Dialog I The Hole I subsekt Blog I The Bench I IG I SC I Mixes I FB

subvers^v
hunger marcher

Post by subvers^v »

Críoch wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:42 am
Do they still have Galaxy Minstrels sweets actually? Must look tomorrow.
Yeah they do, not one I would have linked in this context, probably cos there's no graphics with it. Alwsys considered them relatively recent product but could be something there if you checked the original product packaging?

Looking up the word itself it actually goes back to medieval times, travelling musicians and poets or similar, I guess entertainers of those times ..

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Aye.

You don't hear too many things using the name minstrel nowadays.. regardless of its original meaning (of course its medieval). I reckon the more recent association is too strong.

Seen them in the shop today. Would they have been called minstrels if they were white chocolate? 😅.. probably not. The name is possibly in poor taste given the post medieval use of the name and with the context of our present day understanding.
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum
>> Click here for NEW POSTS on subsekt <<

Dialog I The Hole I subsekt Blog I The Bench I IG I SC I Mixes I FB

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

I think it is fairly common knowledge that a minstrel is a folk singer musician and storyteller. It's in about a gazillion historical documents so it's fine as a word.
That is in fact how the black and white minstrels got their name. As they were musicians.
Obviously blackface is pure madness.
But the word minstrel is fine.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

Bradley1602
Alf Garnett

Post by Bradley1602 »

My health seems to get messier each year.
I am just grateful I can still listen well, to do some music. I would let go of every sense but not hearing.
living for beatmaking/listening is a blessing and a curse. Still Too good to loose or let go early.. when beats bang they bang.

I think we all know these moments:
“like fuck you this is why im investing time into that noisy shitshit.”

In my youth when i got harassed or felt bad, techno saved me.
Still does like my two dogs.
Sounds maddi but I seriosly think Id be hopeless wo techno/house/ambient

Just had mad 8 days behind me. Lots of meds and meds and meds. Fks w ya head.

Altough i take many meds reg…

Sorry fa rantin
Less is not always more.