What/who inspires you

General Chat // Music Discussion
Amøbe
Moderate
What/who inspires you

Post by Amøbe »

I'm a little drunk and sitting outside a bar (because that's finally legal again), and I was wondering a super basic question: who or what inspires you, when you make music?

Personally I get very inspired by the following artists: shed, inigo Kennedy, and surgeon (and I guess Steve, when he makes videos even though my own music doesn't share the same aesthetics)

What inspires me is more fluffy, but I actually don't really get inspired by living in the city or going to raves (even though I love and miss it a lot). Instead I get really inspired by wind. I don't know if it has to do with growing up near the sea, but experiencing the nature unfold its muscles, make something click between the intensity of bass drums, speed, and otherworldly sounds, which really gets something going for me creatively.

Amøbe
Moderate
Re: What/who inspires you

Post by Amøbe »

Haven't checked if this topic already exists a million times

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

This guy right here... major influence. Johnny 5 is alive. Need more input. Disassemble? NOOOOOOO!!!!

Rules to live by.
images.jpg
images.jpg (12.83 KiB) Viewed 1712 times
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum
>> Click here for NEW POSTS on subsekt <<

Dialog I The Hole I subsekt Blog I The Bench I IG I SC I Mixes I FB

Amøbe
Moderate

Post by Amøbe »

Críoch wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:50 pm
This guy right here... major influence. Johnny 5 is alive. Need more input. Disassemble? NOOOOOOO!!!!

Rules to live by.

images.jpg
I want to cuddle him until I fall asleep

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

He'd like that. He's a bit kinky.
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Mostly books, art, film, comics.
I'm often watching a film and the mood of it will generate music in my head and I have to stop the movie and hit the studio.

I was thinking about this recently. And I make music a bit like a method actor prepares.

For example, I have one pseudonym that has a specific time and sound. And for me to make it I have to be in the right headspace. The sound is intended to be ominous, imposing, the sort of feeling of existential horror from cosmic horror/ Lovecraft. To make it I've been watching a lot of really dark, depressing fucked up movies. It's generally been pretty harrowing to make it. But the only way I can make the music to have that mood is to feel it. If I really don't have an emotional attachment then it feels pointless.
The missus has noticed I've been weird lately and asked if I was "in the zone". So she generally notices when I have found the feeling. I've been focusing heavily on a project recently and immersing myself in it.

Walking. Walking generates music in my head. Something about the rhythm of it.

Occasionally (non techno) music inspires me. If I hear a technique or sound or a mood it might give me an idea.

Books tend to be the strongest influence.
I read a lot, and some books will generate a mood or feeling that helps me get into the right headspace.

So generally it all starts with a feeling or a concept.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

subvers^v
hunger marcher

Post by subvers^v »

I find making music is very visual as an overall concept; the spacing of elements, balance and contrast, rhythm, colour, tones, textures.
The closest style that comes to mind is constructivism but I can't say I've explored it at all, let alone enough. I guess it's that aesthetic that gets my attention most and feeds into what I would like to achieve when I make stuff, including sounds.

I'm way too casual though and the other "important" things come first.

My grandmother use to live on the west coast of Ireland.
I miss staying there as a kid, falling asleep listening to the single pane window getting battered by the full force of the Atlantic wind and rain. There was comfort in it...

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Man.. what's that pic? Is that a Wassily Kandinsky? Havent seen it before if so.

The_G
Artificial Hazard

Post by The_G »

A lot from science fiction, and a lot from...moods, really. How it feels to sit on a porch and look up at the stars. And a lot of inspiration from architecture and design.

buffered
Freestyler

Post by buffered »

mainly design processes in terms of form structure balancing objects scale ratio etc. This is what i do as a profession so it is how i work on music also. Finding a system or process and then resolving inside it.
Also i like thinking for ages about music without making anything. Then sitting down with a drum machine and having fun.

subvers^v
hunger marcher

Post by subvers^v »

Críoch wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:08 pm
Man.. what's that pic? Is that a Wassily Kandinsky? Havent seen it before if so.
El Lissitzky

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Ah brilliant.. New discovery for me. Thanks a lot!

Ben Kohonays
Quaint

Post by Ben Kohonays »

Getting out in nature can be good for inspiration. I also like when you get an idea for a track in one genre by listening to to some genre completely unrelated.

I always find just being around art can have a hugely inspirational effect on me. I can walk out of a gallery feeling energised and rejuvenated.
0dd wrote: Gotta love the subsekt derail ethic.

tsaro
Lifer

Post by tsaro »

Sometimes just some/any pattern, random sounds, movement in nature is usually a good one.
Though most of the time it's just tweaking a sound (to oblivion and back) and finding a certain edge to it on which to build on. Or then throwing said sound through a resonator or two and make a nice pad to work against.

Nothing much exiting.... Though it's good not to peak too early :P
how far do you want to go

[wesellboxes]
Q33 NY

Post by [wesellboxes] »

Little tweaks and snippets heard in music everywhere. Doesn't have to be house or techno, I've sat in a taxi with the Spice Girls on the radio and thought "oooh, going to try that."

Lame answer but YouTube tutorials. There's a lot of rubbish but if you find a good one, replicate it and then think "OK where can I go with this".

New loop, 8-bar flow state when it's all coming together in that moment.

Finally, I love a good music documentary. I even watched one about Paloma Faith the other week and I can't stand almost everything about her. But music docs, in general, inspire me to be creative even if their subject matter is at polar opposites to myself.

ozias_leduc
ANAL

Post by ozias_leduc »

oops double post
Last edited by ozias_leduc on Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

ozias_leduc
ANAL

Post by ozias_leduc »

listening to my own stuff inspires me. self indulgent but it really fast-tracks me into the creative headspace - almost like I can "pick up" where i "left off"

Bradley1602
Alf Garnett

Post by Bradley1602 »

Andre Galuzzi:
Just warm memories of him playing and being drunk. 10 years ago or something.
Was good times w my friends.

Shed, Wax bla:
Obvious reasons--> bass knowledge

Dettmann:
groove usage, seems like heavy ableton track delay usage. I always kind of remember him when I do that myself shifting percy channels around in time...

Jeroen Search:
909 usages. Just love his 909 loops

Efdemin:
wonky sounds

Dana Ruh:
groove. Old minimal days when I was younger and mnml was very fashionable. Good times.

Sydney Charles:
personal memories good times

Johannes Heil:
memories good times

Roman Poncet:
heavy grooves
Less is not always more.