Melodic type techno that isn’t cheesy?

General Chat // Music Discussion
Amøbe
Moderate
Re: Melodic type techno that isn’t cheesy?

Post by Amøbe »

chava wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:22 pm
Amøbe wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:50 am

YES!! It has been some time since I last went into the wonderful world of Dave Angel <3 marvellous! Do you know the guy Erosion Flow (Henrik Koefoed)? He is one of my friends - he usually creates music that is somewhere between house, techno and UK Bass (though lately he has taken up some IDM influences)... either way - he was the one who introduced me to Dave Angel, and that's a real treasure chest of amazing music!

I also think he was on that marvelous sound track for a Ghost In The Shell PlayStation game. That's a huge recommendation if you find it! I once stumbled upon it, when I was a student worker at DR
I know of Erosion Flow, checked some early releases, pretty cool. Don't let him fall into to the IDM trap! It's a dead end.

I actually think Dave Angel's a bit too slick, but there's a certain nostalgia for me to his tracks. I will always remember when I first heard Bounce Back in what 1992? Blew my mind then:

youtu.be/Exj2VT8b-Zk
He might be too slick at times (which is probably also why I tend to listen to him a lot, then leave him for a bunch of months, and then it all starts over :D )

I am pretty sure Henrik is not interested in going completely gallery-laptop-music. It is more that he is a major hip hop head, and I believe he is trying to create something part hip hop and part deep sound design ;)

jordanneke
subsekt
subsekt

Post by jordanneke »

Are people still allowed to listen to R&S?

Wasn't Renaat cancelled by Facebook for being worse than King Herod, R Kelly, Marilyn Manson and Stalin?

Amøbe
Moderate

Post by Amøbe »

jordanneke wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:36 pm

Wasn't Renaat cancelled by Facebook for being worse than King Herod, R Kelly, Marilyn Manson and Stalin?
That was a weird case... I'm not saying it is impossible that Renaat is a huge bigot, but the examples that was used as proof, was that he:

1) said he didn't want to release a compilation of a diversity-celebrating (this sounds strange to type out), because he didn't like the quality of the music.

2) some totally embarrassing boomer joke, about finally having "a full bred black artist" (if I remember correctly?).

3) did I miss anything else?

...The first one I really have a hard time seeing as a proof of racism, and the second one is definitely embarrassing and a bad look... but I don't think it justifies more than a calling out, and demanding some sort of public statement that he shouldn't talk like that?

Maybe I'm not punishing hard enough?

But with all that said - 90s R&S was really a strong label!

chava
You only live once

Post by chava »

jordanneke wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:36 pm

Yup. I use to keep a spreadsheet to keep track of the techno cancellations. But I couldn't keep up. Now I just avoid buying anything at all, thereby not risking supporting anything sinister

ozias_leduc
ANAL

Post by ozias_leduc »

The problem for me with most "melodic" techno is the melodies are -to me- so obvious and inauthentic. They don't seem honest yknow?

Here's one I really like. A bit sad, resigned.

youtu.be/UHunU4yvggE

Barfunkel
Smalahove

Post by Barfunkel »

This is of course a classic. Some people call it a trance record but to me this is melodic techno.

youtu.be/L5w9h6sR5x8

If it sounds too old school there are recent remixes by the likes of Ricardo V-Lobos, Boris Brejcha etc.
"I don't shower every day, but when I do, I do it after listening to some Barfunkel" - Anonymous

http://soundcloud.com/user4904810
http://www.mixcloud.com/Barfunkel/

timc3
Back Bling

Post by timc3 »

Yeah I would call that trance ;)

Barfunkel
Smalahove

Post by Barfunkel »

Imo, you can easily play it alongside techno records. It's not exactly Adagio for Strings. Though I've played that in a techno set as well lol.
"I don't shower every day, but when I do, I do it after listening to some Barfunkel" - Anonymous

http://soundcloud.com/user4904810
http://www.mixcloud.com/Barfunkel/

Duffdeal
quasi-public

Post by Duffdeal »

td3l
reverse genius

Post by td3l »

Mathew Jonson:
youtu.be/xe2kWt8sUD8

Older Vince Watson:
youtu.be/OFngJQuKdko

seanocean
Jan : )

Post by seanocean »

Traum Schallplatten always borders on minimal and tech.. Dig on some ryan davis. Dominik eulberg generally pretty great. Also Aril Brikha.
| / / < < > > \ \ | | / / < < > > \ \ | | / / < < > > \ \ | | / / < < > > \ \ | | / / < < > > \ \ | | / / < < > > \ \ |

subvers^v
hunger marcher

Post by subvers^v »

Posted before, god rest you mark bell.
This is just a wonderful track.

It's all melodic really, just a little bit abstract.
Techno...

youtu.be/ncv9uPNcLuQ