Derrick May be fucked.

General Chat // Music Discussion
jordanneke
subsekt
subsekt
Derrick May be fucked.

Post by jordanneke »

Looks like he's a rapist/sexual assaulter....

https://www.residentadvisor.net/features/3780

I wonder how many 'big' DJ's are guilty of this sort of behaviour. Drugs, booze, fawning fans, more drugs.......

Amøbe
Moderate
Re: Derrick May be fucked.

Post by Amøbe »

Sadly I think there is a lot. I used to work at a night club as a bus boy, and this type of behaviour was definitely not unheard of from artists - especially younger artists that came from rougher backgrounds and all of a sudden was told they were hot shit by everyone.

I still have a pretty profound respect for a producer/label guy, who makes some music I really don't like, because, when he was in the club with them, he acted as a grown-up and role model, and wasn't afraid to tell these young men/old kids that they should clean up their act and treat people with respect.

intrusav
Rolf Harris

Post by intrusav »

I always got the impression he rode on the coat tails of Juan Atkins and I've never read or heard anything interesting or inspiring from him in his interviews.
So for me his 'detroit legend' status was/is bollocks, just right place, right time and bluffing it.

But yeah, whether it's taking advantage or being blatantly abusive, I'm not all that shocked to hear it. One thing for sure, he's not the only one...

That obnoxious reaction is some retarded "educated" bullshit. There's a bang of lawyers off it...

Duffdeal
quasi-public

Post by Duffdeal »

I read one article about this with a quote “Derrick May does not and has not ever used drugs...". Doesn’t lend much credence to his denials of other things.

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Been following this story for a while. Its got all the makings of a car-crash documentary.. so many accusations of intimidation, manipulation, dodgy dealings & of course, the stories of the women involved.

Horrible & disgusting story. Hope everyone gets justice & all gets out in the open.

Read some stuff about a possible interview or article with RA at some point in quite recent times that may have contained some information/ tape recordigs relating to all of this.. but it never made press.
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum
>> Click here for NEW POSTS on subsekt <<

Dialog I The Hole I subsekt Blog I The Bench I IG I SC I Mixes I FB

Ben Kohonays
Quaint

Post by Ben Kohonays »

Trial by social media.
0dd wrote: Gotta love the subsekt derail ethic.

terryfalafel
Component

Post by terryfalafel »

What I don't get in these situations is why men try to pressure and coerce certain women into it. I'd be gobsmaked if there wasn't a string of women in most clubs who wanted to bang the DJ, so why don't they choose one of those?

RWise
durchfall

Post by RWise »

terryfalafel wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:46 am
What I don't get in these situations is why men try to pressure and coerce certain women into it. I'd be gobsmaked if there wasn't a string of women in most clubs who wanted to bang the DJ, so why don't they choose one of those?
I assume in some cases, its because some of these DJs get used to the women that do want to have sex with them easily, and their perspective of women at gigs get tunnelled into the idea that they can just sleep with whoever they want... Then, when they run into a woman that says otherwise, their ego doesnt understand and they move into harassment territory.

Either way, you gotta have a fucked up moral compass. Plenty of Artists who experience success but dont drift into this dangerous territory and become a horrible human.
Dont take life so seriously :mrgreen:

terryfalafel
Component

Post by terryfalafel »

RWise wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:54 am
terryfalafel wrote:
I assume in some cases, its because some of these DJs get used to the women that do want to have sex with them easily, and their perspective of women at gigs get tunnelled into the idea that they can just sleep with whoever they want... Then, when they run into a woman that says otherwise, their ego doesnt understand and they move into harassment territory.

Either way, you gotta have a fucked up moral compass. Plenty of Artists who experience success but dont drift into this dangerous territory and become a horrible human.
Good point!

jordanneke
subsekt
subsekt

Post by jordanneke »

I dunno, I have less faith in people. I reckon a huge chunk of people would turn into abusers if they had power over others. Priests, sports coaches, politicians, DJ’s, celebrities.

I think it’s perhaps the minority that are good people despite wielding power.

Maybe the rest of us, just haven’t yet tasted how intoxicating real power is?

Tldr We are horrible, sometimes nice.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Ego is beast and ego is evil
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

jordanneke
subsekt
subsekt

Post by jordanneke »

Lost to the Void wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:05 pm
Ego is beast and ego is evil
Add cocaine and alcohol into the mix................

jordanneke
subsekt
subsekt

Post by jordanneke »

Ben Kohonays wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:39 pm
Trial by social media.
Yes.

Not saying he's innocent, far from it, but the self righteousness of the hyper woke cancelling social media folk which all clubs have to include as it's their core business, means that as soon as any rumour starts on twitter or FB, you're fucked.

Then again, he's been accused of some serious shit.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

jordanneke wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:28 pm
Ben Kohonays wrote:
Trial by social media.
Yes.

Not saying he's innocent, far from it, but the self righteousness of the hyper woke cancelling social media folk which all clubs have to include as it's their core business, means that as soon as any rumour starts on twitter or FB, you're fucked.

To be fair, this has been the domain of vip room/backroom gossip for years. It may just be coming to mainstream media now, but it`s not some new social media rumour from nowhere.
Quite a few of these old school guys have a bit of a rep for being handsy and shit.
New Shit

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

Lost to the Void wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:52 pm
jordanneke wrote:
Ben Kohonays wrote:
Trial by social media.
Yes.

To be fair, this has been the domain of vip room/backroom gossip for years. It may just be coming to mainstream media now, but it`s not some new social media rumour from nowhere.
Quite a few of these old school guys have a bit of a rep for being handsy and shit.
Yeah. May also has a LONG standing reputation for being a general scammer, lier and asshole. There's a story in the oral history "Klang der Familie" about how May stole a copy of the record of the same name, went back to the US and did a Transmat bootleg copy without ever paying a penny to Tresor. They alude to the fact that lots of more of that kinda shit went down.

jordanneke
subsekt
subsekt

Post by jordanneke »

I heard about the Transmat/ Tresor shit, and the strings of life being a rip off. Being an asshole in that respect is one thing, but doing what he is alleged to have done is a step further....

It’s funny what you say also about the vip scenario, unless you are in those circles, you have no idea. I guess that some people see girls in there as ‘fair game’. My experience of the absolute wankers/ criminal element that were about in the Birmingham clubs’ vip ( and the wannabe idiotic gangster girls that surrounded them) suggested to me that those places were best left alone.

Amøbe
Moderate

Post by Amøbe »

RWise wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:54 am
terryfalafel wrote:

Power is a huge factor. There's a lot of these sexual harassment cases, where you wonder why they didn't just move on and found somebody that actually wanted to be with them. In a lot of those cases it is a question about the abusers getting off on the feeling that they have the power to humiliate/force/control/rape/etc. the victim. It is not about them just being horny and are bad at accepting a rejection.

Ben Kohonays
Quaint

Post by Ben Kohonays »

jordanneke wrote:
Ben Kohonays wrote:
Trial by social media.
Yes.

The level of guilt or innocence can not be accurately predicted in this moment as all we have to go on is these statements that have been made. Unfortunately the way media and especially social media is right now it doesn't matter if a person was proven beyond a doubt to be innocent, there will still be people who believe they are guilty and perpetuate that. I'm not saying he's innocent either, but this post truth world is a fucked up place to be. I can imagine there will still be Qanon trumpanzees in 6 months time talking about how when the national guard dragged trump out of the whitehouse it was all part of his '5D chess plan' and he'll be back in the whitehouse by August.
0dd wrote: Gotta love the subsekt derail ethic.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

jordanneke wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:13 pm
I heard about the Transmat/ Tresor shit, and the strings of life being a rip off. Being an asshole in that respect is one thing, but doing what he is alleged to have done is a step further....

It’s funny what you say also about the vip scenario, unless you are in those circles, you have no idea. I guess that some people see girls in there as ‘fair game’. My experience of the absolute wankers/ criminal element that were about in the Birmingham clubs’ vip ( and the wannabe idiotic gangster girls that surrounded them) suggested to me that those places were best left alone.
There was always the cocaine and champaign and women rock and roll thing in the more commercial, big name end of dance music.
Lots of guys have got in trouble. Ego takes over, you think you are the king and everything is yours to take.
That kinda stuff is one of the things that made me run back to the underground when I was doing the big festivals. The rampant self important egos. It's really ugly, it made me depressed, I was naive and all about the music, still a little illusion that dance music had peace and love at the heart of it.
I saw some massively dickish behaviour.
I distinctly remember one gig in Poland where I basically rescued a girl who was absolutely off her head, from one of the mainliners who was creeping on her. I got the promoters to get her and her friend a taxi home. Groupies are one thing, but when people can barely remember their own name that's a dark road to go down. Sadly I'm sure plenty a girl has had that experience.

One of the good things about PC culture, and metoo etc is that this shit is no longer swept under the carpet. And people will get backup if they speak up.

I've never understood why people let someone off of something just because of their status or whatever.
New Shit

msl
║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█

Post by msl »

Stealing the credits for Strings of Life got him here. This shits been a long time coming for May.
www.bernadettetrax.bandcamp.com
www.soundcloud.com/michaellovatt

“Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.” Dune