Derrick May be fucked.

General Chat // Music Discussion
Críoch
subsekt
subsekt
Re: Derrick May be fucked.

Post by Críoch »

Yeah.. For those involved, its been an absolute life's mission to hold him to account for that.

They seem to have taken the Al Capone approach, in reverse with him.

I agree with Ben regarding trial by social media. I have been keeping up to date with it all and hope that everything gets investigated fully.
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum
>> Click here for NEW POSTS on subsekt <<

Dialog I The Hole I subsekt Blog I The Bench I IG I SC I Mixes I FB

msl
║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█

Post by msl »

Críoch wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:58 am
I agree with Ben regarding trial by social media.
Sure there's rarely smoke without fire. And there are now multiple accusers.

I have zero sympathy for men who abuse women. Him and Morillo can go fuck off.
www.bernadettetrax.bandcamp.com
www.soundcloud.com/michaellovatt

“Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.” Dune

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Definitely Michael. Its unforgivable.

I'll continue to keep track with events. If this momentum continues.. it may only be the beginning.
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

A lot of this kind of stuff will come to light in the next few years.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

jordanneke
subsekt
subsekt

Post by jordanneke »

There's a load more on DJ mag, with different accusers.

Now he knows what it's like to get fucked.

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

Críoch wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:58 am
Yeah.. For those involved, its been an absolute life's mission to hold him to account for that.

They seem to have taken the Al Capone approach, in reverse with him.

I agree with Ben regarding trial by social media. I have been keeping up to date with it all and hope that everything gets investigated fully.
Obviously, it's not ideal but according to the current accusations, most of these cases happened ten or fifteen + years ago and not in the US (e.g. it would be an international lawsuit since May is an US national). Going legal under these circumstances would be pretty much pointless; not to mention that lawsuits take years and I think these women will have mostly moved on with their lives.

tsaro
Lifer

Post by tsaro »

Even if it doesn't amount to much in this particular case, if it makes other shitheads think twice about doing similar things I'm all for it. Don't know the guy, but I do know it's a real issue and if we can crush any dreams these type of assholes have of continuing on this path after corona, I'm all for it.

In a brief attempt to get a live act off the ground in the previous decade (err, early 2000s that is) I've seen some similar (nasty) shit, for example some slippery fucker (the local "promoter"/fixer) who went on scouting for wasted girls for the VIP section. That same guy tried to pay us in booze when we agreed on a fee beforehand (and he knew full well we came by car). In the end we even had to leave some of our gear since the bouncers were in on it, and we weren't about to look away.

And of course the numerous rumours surrounding certain outfits have to originate somewhere, on the one hand you can't play judge jury and executioner though this type of hidden abuse is too awful to leave festering away under the surface.

It would be nice to be able to cut out this element completely, might be a bit of a pipe dream as these characters are often woven into the fabric of nightly entertainment.... And if this should pan out, you never really know where they would end up and how much damage they could do in their new surroundings... As it seems pretty likely to me that they've already found new avenues to continue their rotten dealings elsewhere in these times. Ah well, one step at a time.
how far do you want to go

[wesellboxes]
Q33 NY

Post by [wesellboxes] »

Morillo was the worst kept secret in dance music for years. There's also a story about a London promoter/DJ and techno good egg abandoning May near the Westway with a "get the fuck out of the car now" after his misogynistic shite got too much. This was in the 90's too.

And thank fuck for "trial by social media". If it wasn't for social media, women wouldn't feel emboldened to come forward and publications wouldn't feel gagged by ad revenue. The sheer volume of dickheads in the comments sections for stories like this illustrates there is still a long was to go and this needs brought to the fore.

For anyone wondering, Mixmag and DJ don't published stories like this lightly for click bait. They will be fact checked rigorously and legally vetted before publication. May could easily afford to sue a publication the size of DJ if this was untrue. Let's see if he does.

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Indeed.. the amount of mainstream press that this is gathering looks as if there has been a fire blazing for years.

I guess what I don't like about the 'trial by social media ' thing is how toxic it gets.. supporters & opponents going at one another. Its good that the majority of people have the correct response to the story.

jordanneke
subsekt
subsekt

Post by jordanneke »

Lost to the Void wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:00 pm
Yeah, that's one flaw in the sexual abuser career progression. :?

Man, I knew clubs were seedy, but the stories here are fucking ridiculous. I only knew of the gangster side of the business, ie the shady people who put the money up, and were best left alone.

AND what's worse is that everyone seems to have known, but he still got gigs!

'.....yeah, we've heard about him, but he still sells shit loads of tickets....just keep my sister out of the vip room while he's on...'

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

jordanneke wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:44 pm
Lost to the Void wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:00 pm
Yeah, that's one flaw in the sexual abuser career progression. :?

Man, I knew clubs were seedy, but the stories here are fucking ridiculous. I only knew of the gangster side of the business, ie the shady people who put the money up, and were best left alone.

AND what's worse is that everyone seems to have known, but he still got gigs!

'.....yeah, we've heard about him, but he still sells shit loads of tickets....just keep my sister out of the vip room while he's on...'

Well you can condense a lot of these problems down to money and popularity/fame.

Dj`s get their ego`s inflated by thinking they are more important than the party.
This is fed by fandom engaging in idol worship,and by promoters not rocking the boat so they can book them again (and get more money or boost their own popularity by doing so). And rocking the boat could mean never getting that act again, and potentially never getting any act handled by the booking agency they are with, which could potentially ruin your business.
I mean, I`ve been at some parties and the big names have requested women, either prostitutes or groupies, at the end of the night.
Drugs and alcohol don`t help. DJ`s on coke, inflating ego`s further, + fans out their minds on whatever.........

Ego and money.

All kinds of stuff like this has gone on unquestioned for a long time. People don`t like rocking the boat.

It`s the same reason why people will still willingly work with Emannuel. Everyone knows he`s a wrongun. But they`ll give him their music cos it means a vinyl release on a popular label so....

I call things out when I see them, always have, it has done me no favours whatsoever. You would be surprised how few people speak up about this shit.

Suck Satans Cock, as Hicks would say.

The whole thing needs pulling down and going back to grass roots.
New Shit

msl
║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█

Post by msl »

Críoch wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:12 pm
I guess what I don't like about the 'trial by social media ' thing is how toxic it gets.. supporters & opponents going at one another. Its good that the majority of people have the correct response to the story.
Double edged sword innit. Without social media pressure none fo the big names would of fallen in the last years...
www.bernadettetrax.bandcamp.com
www.soundcloud.com/michaellovatt

“Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.” Dune

nomadjames
mummy!!

Post by nomadjames »

Just about every person I know from Detroit that knows about this kind of thing said this dude is a piece of shit.
www.soundcloud.com/nomadjames

"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over." - Hunter S. Thompson

www.nomadjames.com

Pittsburgh Ableton
www.facebook.com/groups/558333351022659

timc3
Back Bling

Post by timc3 »

Yeah, I hope if it is true (and I have no reason to believe it isn't) that he is fucked. Far too much of this crap has been going on over the years. Not just in the dance music scene, either, but it has attracted a lot of douchebags over the years.

2latuile
hmmmmmm...

Post by 2latuile »

Studying our closest (very very very close) cousins behaviours and social organisation might yield some light on those things... Violence (including murder), bullying, stealing, sexual harassment and plain rape (by the dominant males of course) are the norm in chimps social organisation. We humans tend to think of ourselves as rational, self-determinated beings, acting out of free will, but that's actually far from true. You just can not act out of free will if you're not well aware of your own biological determinisms and social conditioning, and those are things we are obviously not eager to investigate - perhaps because it kind of ruins the whole "human superiority" official history. Realising how much we are acted by those factors is indeed quite uncomfortable to say the least, but I fail to see how we (as a specie) can hope to survive if we don't face it and stop acting as immature 4-years-old children.

Not to say that social / sexual predation is acceptable in any way though - just that neither moral considerations nor wishful thinking will solve the root issue. We first have to face and accept what we really are and how we really work if we hope to grow up...

My 2 cents...
Lost to the Void wrote: I am unlikely to teach small children how to break someone violently (...). So I think it will be fine.
[wesellboxes] wrote: Anyone that believes in conspiracy theories has never worked in project management.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

According to modern neuroscience, it seems pretty much that free will is an illusion.
New Shit

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

I enjoyed that film. Bit of an insult to call it an illusion.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Críoch wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:52 pm
I enjoyed that film. Bit of an insult to call it an illusion.
Wa?
Why is it an insult?
They've proven that your brain makes choices before you are conscious of them. You are tricked into thinking you made those choices, but they already took place in the pre-conscious.

I think it is highly likely they will eventually come to the conclusion that free will is a complete myth.

It will change everything though.
New Shit

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Sorry, thought you were talking about Free Willy 😉

2latuile
hmmmmmm...

Post by 2latuile »

Lost to the Void wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:26 pm
They've proven that your brain makes choices before you are conscious of them. You are tricked into thinking you made those choices, but they already took place in the pre-conscious.
Yes, that's a fact indeed - but:
Lost to the Void wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:26 pm
I think it is highly likely they will eventually come to the conclusion that free will is a complete myth.
Well, I'd argue that you can STILL (more or less...) consciously question those insconscious choices and decide to validate or reject them. But this might be just another illusion though :lol:
Lost to the Void wrote: I am unlikely to teach small children how to break someone violently (...). So I think it will be fine.
[wesellboxes] wrote: Anyone that believes in conspiracy theories has never worked in project management.