Favourite techno DJ?

General Chat // Music Discussion
henry1
Chernobyl
Re: Favourite techno DJ?

Post by henry1 »

[wesellboxes] wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:37 pm

Slam for introducing a lot of Detroit and underground techno to me in the 90's.
I still tune in even these days but direction is questionable at times.

[wesellboxes] wrote:
Dave Clarke, when he's on form is outstanding though does has his off days.
Mentioned already here quite a bit, understandably so.
Staying true the right way, naturally though that can also become tiresome.

[wesellboxes] wrote:

Also got plenty time for Bas Mooy, Dasha Rush, Porc, Surgeon, Blawan, Claro Intelecto and Donato Dozzy
I feel like this is where it gets more interesting.
I like Dasha, straight forward great techno, truly special? not really, but its entertaining nonetheless.
Consider how boring techno has become and you get ppl like these guys re-lighting a dead flame, its great.

As time passes by and I do mean years and decades, so many have decided that moving forwards means moving away.
Some still manage to call it techno but the truth is that it seldom is, so to see DJs like above being persistent is refreshing.

It seems that the chatter is continuing now in various places online on the topic of another post made here recently.
Posts saying that those happy hardcore gabber trance is not techno - warning the audience "please beware" "this ain't us".
In a desperate attempt to move forward, so many has gone about it the wrong way - nothing new here.
Then again its not always so easy to move forward.
If innovation was easy, there wouldn't be legends.

Ben Kohonays
Quaint

Post by Ben Kohonays »

The Advent is pretty high up on my list.
0dd wrote: Gotta love the subsekt derail ethic.

Shylock
non reader

Post by Shylock »

Lost to the Void wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:46 pm
Shylock wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:32 pm
Lost to the Void wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:17 pm
Mostly people on the underground.
Any DJ who does something different or less predictable.

Mulero is just technically way ahead, he`s a master.
I like
Horror Brawl
Phon Subsist
Jerome
Kareem
Ena
Rivethead or whatever he is calling himself currently, is great.
Rob Hall
Surgeon
Sputnik
Inigo

I don't have a favourite
If I absolutely have to pick it would be Kareem as he generally scares the shit out of people at least once in every set, and he generally plays right on the edge of techno.

I couldnt find a kareem set on youtube, so im unsure of who you mean.. Rob hall is excellent for sure and man... Surgeons 10 years of birmingham techno changed my life and put me into a whole new galaxy of music... Surgeon might well be my patron saint of techno.

PLUS, as a bread and butter DJ surgeon can matchup against a Dave Clarke back in the 90's, He would do the beat juggle and all that, I love it.
There is only one Kareem.
https://www.residentadvisor.net/features/2049
I went on a bit of a journey listening to Zhark yesterday, never having heard of it before.. What an interesting musical journey! way diffeent from the things I would usually listen to.. That RA article was fantastic too, They do some good features every now and then when they are not begging for money.

Shylock
non reader

Post by Shylock »

[wesellboxes] wrote:
Rob Hood, got a that relentless driving style in his sets that are resplendent in his tracks

Luke Slater is probably my favourite techno producer and he plays a lot of his own tracks and remixes in his sets. Really hard to evaluate him as just a DJ to be honest.

Steve Bicknell, used to play a lot in Scotland in the early days plus Lost.

Slam for introducing a lot of Detroit and underground techno to me in the 90's.

Dave Clarke, when he's on form is outstanding though does has his off days.

Laurent Garnier, again another throwback from the 90's but loved his more musical side to techno.

Also got plenty time for Bas Mooy, Dasha Rush, Porc, Surgeon, Blawan, Claro Intelecto and Donato Dozzy
No one does it quite like Dave Clarke, incredible.

RWise
durchfall

Post by RWise »

Shylock wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:01 pm
dubdub wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:19 pm
That I’ve personally seen? Probably DVS1. Never seen anyone else with so much stage presence and technical skill. He’s one of very few DJs that can make boring tool records sound exciting.
I only heard of DVS1 from his label releases, Which were minimal and tool like but brilliant when sped up in the mix.. (what record isnt? lol)

He is fantastic, But im not sure if hes in the top ten conversation for me
With all due respect, if you have never seen Dvs1 live, then you dont really have any say on his status as a DJ. Firstly, he always strongly states he is a DJ first, and producer second. DJing is his first love and it stays that way.

IMO, he is the modern day jeff mills, in terms of technical ability and style. Ive never seen a DJ with his type of stage presence.

The grooves and layers he juggles in the mix, as well as the countless unknown tracks, are just sublime. He is a true create digger and DJ, at the top of his game.
Dont take life so seriously :mrgreen:

RWise
durchfall

Post by RWise »

dubdub wrote:
That I’ve personally seen? Probably DVS1. Never seen anyone else with so much stage presence and technical skill. He’s one of very few DJs that can make boring tool records sound exciting.
Agreed. No one does it like him at the moment.

RWise
durchfall

Post by RWise »

RWise wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:27 am
Shylock wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:01 pm
dubdub wrote:
I only heard of DVS1 from his label releases, Which were minimal and tool like but brilliant when sped up in the mix.. (what record isnt? lol)

He is fantastic, But im not sure if hes in the top ten conversation for me
With all due respect, if you have never seen Dvs1 live, then you dont really have any say on his status as a DJ. Firstly, he always strongly states he is a DJ first and producer second. DJing is his first love and it stays that way.

IMO, he is the modern day jeff mills, in terms of technical ability and style. Ive never seen a DJ with his type of stage presence.

The grooves and layers he juggles in the mix, as well as the countless unknown tracks, are just sublime. He is a true create digger and DJ, at the top of his game.

SCUMM
skaghead

Post by SCUMM »

Has to be Oscar Mulero for me. It's not just he's technical skill either. He's track selection is spot on. I saw him in Nitsa club in Barcelona a good few years ago on holidays and was blown away. It's sounds cliche but he really brought the floor on a journey. Hynotizing but banging shit with peaks and throughs. Just check out his Boiler room here, he's on another level....

youtu.be/XRotY7PuWMc

DVS1 is another quality DJ as mentioned. Saw him a few times and was well impressed. No fucking about with him just full on grafting behind the decks.

Some more worth mentioning:

Sunil Sharpe
Stef Mendesidis
Surgeon
Bem Sims
WHERE WORDS FAIL MUSIC SPEAKS

Amøbe
Moderate

Post by Amøbe »

+1 for DVS1 - he really makes DJing amazing and an art form.

There's this older guy (Boris, I think?) Who has played Berghain a few times, when I have been there. Everytime he has been amazing at reading the room, and has just lead the energy of the room in a way I rarely experience... And his selection isn't typically my style :D

Mono-xID
Uumfääng

Post by Mono-xID »

I always loved Rod Modell, Bicknell of course, Joey Beltram, DJ Rush, Fumiya Tanaka were mad intense back in old Tresor dayz. Function sent me on some deep journeys as well.
http://soundcloud.com/monoxid

Behringer = ARTS label of synths

Mslwte
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mslwte »

Jeff mills completely smashed Tribal Gathering in Manchester. I was completely sober with my jaw on the floor.

I saw sven vath a few times pre minimal and he always delivered. Each time was a different style. He was one of my favourites for a while. Cocoon at amnesia in 2004 was a seamless roller coaster ride of pure energy. Such a buzz!!
https://soundcloud.com/mslwte
https://noizefacilityrecords.bandcamp.com
https://www.instagram.com/subsekt909
https://www.facebook.com/subsekt909/
Lost to the Void wrote:Fuck off, get some tequila down ya neck and make some noise you cunt....

Circular
Interact. Don't Spam.

Post by Circular »

For me:

Takaaki Itoh, trip master, no one can bring me in a deep trip like he can. Esp. some of his online podcasts are just mindblowing and really resonate with me. I much prefer him as a DJ than producer. His style definitely isn't for everyone though.

DVS1, great technical skills, his sets feel very physical and tool-ey always in a good way.

Mulero, similar like DVS1 but more heady and deep.

DJ Nobu, more of a track selector. His sets are always the most hyped for me at berghain, the atmospheres and moods he creates are like nothing else. Super genuine guy too, can't hate him.

These 4 are really grandmasters to me personally, everyone probably knows them but you can tell they've really perfected their craft. There are also a ton of great younger DJ's of course. For anyone complaining that dj's nowadays suck, you're not looking hard enough imo. Admittedly, there's a ton of crap, but look deep enough and you''ll find some gold

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

The resident DJs at various events around the world who book all these big names are the real heroes.
There are people doing it week by week who blow people like DVS1 etc out of the water.

I generally find the residents the most interesting wherever I go.

Lots of stunning unsung talent out there. I'm hoping this whole Covid thing will level things out and make people pay more attention to local talent.
Realistically there isn't a big name DJ I would make an effort to see these days.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

terryfalafel
Component

Post by terryfalafel »

Donsto Dozzy has never disappointed.

DJ Rush also.

I used to love Dave Clarke bitd, but he went downhill for me when he discovered Pioneer mixer FX.

PERIAL
Chernobyl

Post by PERIAL »

Too many favorite djs but Polar Inertia and Stanislav Tolkachev came first to my mind. And I also remember R.Hawti n playing proper techno (not joking) in a really small underground location for maybe 200 ppl and it was epic.

terryfalafel
Component

Post by terryfalafel »

PERIAL wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:55 am
Too many favorite djs but Polar Inertia and Stanislav Tolkachev came first to my mind. And I also remember R.Hawti n playing proper techno (not joking) in a really small underground location for maybe 200 ppl and it was epic.
Ya, saw RH plenty of times in the 98 - 2002ish era and he was brilliant.

Same with Adam B3yer. We've talked about this before on here but late 90s Adam B3yer sets at Bugged Out at Nation in Liverpool were something else. Same with Atomic Jam in the Que club. All those who went minimal and then digital were top notch back when it was two or three decks, a mixer and a big bag of records.

speen
unsure

Post by speen »

terryfalafel wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:10 am

I used to love Dave Clarke bitd, but he went downhill for me when he discovered Pioneer mixer FX.
so from 2002 onwards?
that's an awful long slide down the hill..

Re ITCHY Whoretits?, I've seen him a couple times but in 2002 (?) at an awakenings party in rotterdam was one of the better sets ever.. sick dense fat techno, at least that's how i remember it.

RWise
durchfall

Post by RWise »

Lost to the Void wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:07 pm
The resident DJs at various events around the world who book all these big names are the real heroes.
There are people doing it week by week who blow people like DVS1 etc out of the water.

I generally find the residents the most interesting wherever I go.

Lots of stunning unsung talent out there. I'm hoping this whole Covid thing will level things out and make people pay more attention to local talent.
Realistically there isn't a big name DJ I would make an effort to see these days.
yes and no. Ive been to plenty of nights where you wish you could fast forward the residents set... But when you do find the legit locals, then it can be really special. Theyll know that room better than anyone.

mindstuff
hmmmmmm...

Post by mindstuff »

Shylock wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:26 pm
over9000 wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:58 pm
difficult to pick one
oscar mulero is technically incredible skilled its always a pleasure to listen to how he does it.
then some local heros
https://soundcloud.com/near_end
https://soundcloud.com/notjolly
Oscar Mulero really does have it all doesnt he? His sets are fantastic and he was one of the few guys in the 2009's onwards when techno was on a shaky footing that managed to keep the faith for me.. His releases are monumental, CV is dead? And his label was also the business.

Plus the guy looks like a techno rockstar right? Hes got to be in the techno top 10 of all time discussion....
2nd Oscar Mulero

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Just cos someone mentioned it: Seen 83Y3R a few times back at the height. Really cool. Didn't just bang it 4x4.. there were lots of different rhythmic teasing going on. Could really notice some cool AF mixing.

Luke Slater several times.. first, live with the wireless album & tried to catch him whenever I could after that. Always thought he was savage. Knew the name for years from token slivers of reporting in NME & Melody Maker.. but had no access to his music back then.

IK is a multi deck master also.

Don't know if the topic Q is about seeing live, or following online? I don't out anymore tbh. Covid or no covid.

These days.. sets online:

Sunil (would have seen him a wee bit when I was in my height too. Used to buy most of my records inthe shop he worked in), Hauff, Allien (when not in a trance / vocal vibe).

Always feel like Sunil & Hauff send me searching or joining dots. Allien plays music I've never heard before & probably wouldn't hear from elsewhere.

Random stuff from Rinse FM & Rinse France. Don't know who I'm listening to half the time.. given up tracking exactly what is on as the tune selection & mixing is usually at such a high standard.

Rinse France is wild. You could hear Enya mixed into footwork, into electro.. into IDM or house / techno. The lines are always blurred. Its always on here. Pity its in French, but my ignorance is part of the charm.

Totally agree with Mulero. Never seen him personally.. but have watched / heard a fair few mixes over the years.

I've never liked Carl Cox or any of that stuff.
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum
>> Click here for NEW POSTS on subsekt <<

Dialog I The Hole I subsekt Blog I The Bench I IG I SC I Mixes I FB